Interested
Years ago

Motion vs Structured Offence

Do you think District Clubs should emphasise Motion based offensive priciples or Structured Set offences for junior players in the Under 14, 16 and 18 age groups?

What is your opinion based on?
eg. Winning games at all costs, long term development of players, coaches maintaining control of the team etc.

Which motion based offences do you think are best for the individual development of junior players and why?
eg. Pass and cut/screen principle based, dribble drive, read and react etc.

Topic #23271 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

under 14s should have motion/freeflowing offences so they learn how to play off of other teammates. In under 16s and 18s bring in some structure then.

Reply #281362 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

What structured offensive plays would be suitable for u16, u18 against man to man defence?

Reply #281365 | Report this post

CoachCarter  
Years ago

There is nothing wrong with introducing set structures at Under 12 level let alone at Under 16's because you should be able to promote individual skill development within that structure. The added advantage is that if their is something uniform within the entire club then you can breed a winning culture with stability. (Coaches who are happy to see kids run up and down are only deprieving them of becoming accustomed to 'Real' basketball which will harm their chances of making state teams etc)

A good coach should always give their players confidence to explore and achieve their potential but Im a strong believer in having a system offensively and defensively so that all 10 members of the squad are on the same page - this gives a team a great advantage when they hit adversity. All players should be expected to up skill in all facets of the game which will give them greater flexibility and can lead to mismatches to their advantage whether it be a guard posting up a smaller opponent or a big being able to operate from the wing. Goorjian said after the last Olympics the one thing Australia doesn't have is people who can create from the wing whether it be to get their own shot off or get a teammate an open look (USA's biggest advantage at an international meet).

As far as structure goes you cant go past the shuffle, never gets old and for every defensive action their is a offensive counter to react. The Melbourne Tigers junior program (U/12- U/20) run exactly the same as the NBL program and funnily enough in the 2009 NBL GF series both the Tigers and Dragons were running the same stuff against each other as each coach put their own variations on the tried and true first and thirds.

In the end if you team plays good D and you encourage your players to push the break executing in the half court will become a natural progression.

Reply #281370 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

i think coach carter is spot on.

shuffle is easy & effective enough to teach to early teens.

Reply #281435 | Report this post

Captain Dan  
Years ago

The best way is to teach them early, I started with my U12's just basic motions, and movements toward the basket, and the correct stances and movements whilst on defence. Now this was my first season with this team and in the first few weeks they went back to old habbits but coming into weeks five and six we were belting teams by 20-25 odd points.

For U14's & U16's, It also helps to go and watch some of the other teams in your competition, scout as one of my mates says.
From this you can notify your team on how the players move, what hand he or she dribbles with the most and try and figure out the teams plays to weaken their attack.

Not do these tatics help you as becoming a better coach but it helps your kids to become bigger and better players as they learn to read passages of play and movement.

Reply #281437 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

its also depends on your team some teams play better with structure and others better motion. But i agree motion U12 to 14 with 14 1's and 2's being introduce to structure and 16's up more structure but also running with the way you team works best

Reply #281478 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 12:58 pm, Sat 20 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754