Kriss
Years ago

Amar'e signs for 5 with the Knicks...spewing

The New York Knicks finally got a return on their two years of self-induced misery on Monday, finishing up the final touches on a five-year contract for Phoenix Suns free agent forward Amar'e Stoudemire that is expected to be worth around $100 million. A source indicates a formal announcement from Stoudemire should be forthcoming within the hour at Madison Square Garden.

Topic #23284 | Report this topic

LC  
Years ago

Already updated in the Free Agent Tracker thread...

Reply #281489 | Report this post

TR  
Years ago

Great move by the Knicks. There were rumors flating around that the Knicks would get shut out, just like the Bulls back when Hill and TD were free agents.

First time they have had an All Star in years. A stronger Knicks team only benefits the league.

Now Lebron, make a decision. Amar'e and Knicks or Wade and Chicago/Miami.

Reply #281491 | Report this post

Quagmire  
Years ago

Amare better come to play, coz New York crowds expect a lot from their stars, like playing both ends of the court for a start.... If he plays D like he did for Phoenix against LA.... a softer effort i've never seen... the crowd and the media are gonna make his life HELL.

Did i read somewhere that Amare said he, Caramelo and parker where teaming up in NY????

Reply #281501 | Report this post

The_Champ33  
Years ago

I am stoked as a Knicks supporter to finally have a superstar in the team and make the team better.

Let's see if we can sign up another star and return to the playoffs.

I'm smiling and excited as a Knicks fan.

Reply #281502 | Report this post

DB5  
Years ago

Reply #281503 | Report this post

TR  
Years ago

Amar'e stated that he's reached out to Lebron, and he's also contacted Melo for 2011/2012 season.

I think that was why Bosh wasn't really considered by the Knicks unless it guaranteed them Lebron or Wade.

Bosh hasn't really done that much (yes, he played on some crappola squads), but there were question marks over him about playing in front of the NY media and could he handle the pressure what comes with playing for the Knicks.

Reply #281504 | Report this post

Kriss  
Years ago

If Carmelo came over that would generate a lot of interest in NY City for sure!

I doubt they will get either of them but it's nice to dream...I wonder if David lee is now on his way to Minnesotta?

Reply #281506 | Report this post

TR  
Years ago

Sota can't afford Lee without moving Jefferson. There was a rumor that a 3 way trade is being discussed between Warriors, Knicks and Sota.

Sota would get Lee (S&T), Knicks get Ellis and the Warriors get Jefferson. Warriors don't seem to like it that much.

Trades involving Lee won't happen until Lebron and Wade decide where they want to play. Knicks aren't going to eat into their cap whilst those two are still available.

Reply #281507 | Report this post

Omar Little  
Years ago

Knicks get:
Amare averaged 23 & 9 EFF 20.25

but lose:
Lee averaged 20 & 11(2nd in NBA) EFF 26.99

I'm a knicks fan and I'm just saying its almost a sideways step but your guaranteeing Amare with bad knees and eye for 5 years. Both don't really play much D.

Yes i would rather have Amare...I'm just sayin'....

Reply #281516 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

goodnight suns...

Reply #281526 | Report this post

DJ  
Years ago

Personally, I think that he got payed way too much.
He is not that great of a player for that money, and unless he has a top point guard to feed him the ball, I dont think he will be worth the money paid.

Just my opinion.

Reply #281531 | Report this post

Tornado  
Years ago

I couldnt agree with you more DJ!

Reply #281533 | Report this post

ritz  
Years ago

i want LBJ @ NYK!
Amare isn't he past it??

Reply #281534 | Report this post

Curtley  
Years ago

David Lee is superior statistics-wise and he hasn't had a top point guard getting him the ball like amare has. Amare is also injury-prone. I think this signing is quite stupid.

Amare could be the next T-Mac, Steve Franchise or Stephon at the Knicks, because he is certainly not going to get any better as the number one option on offense on a bad team.

Reply #281537 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

Curtley, I totally agree with you there.
IMO, David Lee is the most underrated player in the League. Double-Double machine with the Knicks last year even though he is just 6"9.

Key statistic about Lee..He and Kareem AJ are the only two players to have scored 35 points, 20 rebounds and 10 assists in a single game!

Reply #281538 | Report this post

TR  
Years ago

I don't think the Knicks overpaid. Stat is an perennial all-star, 2nd team All-NBA player. If the Knicks didn't pay max, someone else would off. Overpaid is Rashard Lewis or recently, Joe Johnson (Atlanta screwed the pooch on that one) or Drew Gooden.

Amar'e will rejuvenate the Knicks franchise, he gives them a 'recruiter', he'll put bums in MSG. The same can't be said for Lee.

The Knicks, after two years of near tanking could not afford to be shut out like Chicago was when Tim Duncan, T-Mac and Grant Hill were free agents.

People need to get over Amar'e injuries woes. That eyeball injury has an absolute freak of an injury and could of happened to anyone. The knee issues were 5 years ago. He played 82 games twice times out of the past 4 season. One season 79 games. Take the eye injury out in 08/09 and he played 78 games.

I laugh when people bang on about his defense. There are very very few power forwards in the league that play consistently good defense. There is definitely no one in the Charles Oakley/Davis brothers/Dennis Rodman league.

Compare him to the other premium/top money power forwards like Timmy D, KG, Bosh, Aldridge, Gasol, and he's on par. Timmy D and KG are almost cooked, but still play good defense. Gasol, Bosh, Aldridge and Dirk don't really play defensive. They are all offensive orientated power forwards. Stat's PPG and RPG are comparable, he could rebound more, but he did make some effort last year towards defence.

Reply #281539 | Report this post

TR  
Years ago

I'll take the Gasol part back, but I'll include Al Jefferson to the list. Gasol is a better defender.

Reply #281541 | Report this post

DJ  
Years ago

The original DJ will now post with a difference of opinion.

Being a big STAT fan and a big Suns fan!

Sure he will play no D and won't individually win games but NY is all about entertaining and STAT is the perfect man for the job.

If they get Parker than it mightn't be such a bad move, the two of them could be quite well together. If they can somehow pull of LBJ who knows but I very much doubt they are in the running and have bit the bullet and got STAT.

Quag - since when did Knick fans ever care about their team playing D? When did the Knicks last play D?

The fans, media, city will ride the team D or no D!! NY is all about entertainment and wins one, the other or both!!!

LBJ surely is Cavs or Wade (Heat/Bulls seems to be his call at this stage lol).

Reply #281545 | Report this post

Melvin Corpuscle  
Years ago

Think Nash made STAT look better than he really was. Imagine his first year in NY will be similar to Chandler without CP3 ...

Reply #281549 | Report this post

jules  
Years ago

I agree with TR, no way was he overpaid because there would've been plenty of teams in the league ready to sign him to the max. However, I tend to disagree with you about his defensive abilities being on par with the PFs you mentioned - I hate nothing more than when people just say 'oh he cant play D though' just because they need to hate on an all-star, but this guy is atrocious...There are times he literally stands and watches, his pick and roll defense against the Lakers was laughable...he is horrible at that end, and it stands out more than the defensive deficiencies of the other guys you mentioned.

All in all, great signing by New York because if they did nothing then there would be zero buzz in the city, and even more unrest...also, Melvin, did you just compare Amare to Tyson Chandler??...Amare has serious offensive game, don't just pin it all on Nash.

Reply #281552 | Report this post

Astor  
Years ago

Don't understand this move by Amar'e. Things might have been getting a little stale in Phoenix for him - but he was playing next to the one PG in the league who can properly utilize his pick-and-roll capabilities, racking up All-Star numbers, had the love and support of the whole Phoenix Area, was on a team who were mere games away from contesting the NBA Final and was being paid a near max salary.

What does he stand to gain from NYK? More money - but probably not much* more then what he would've recieved from the Suns (what's a million here or there to someone looking at 100mil for a 5 year contract?)? More publicity, and then more sponsorship? More scrutiny on his woeful defensive ability?

It's not even like he can say he was chasing a championship, because there's no way in hell the Knicks have a championship roster - even if you add LeBron later down the track. The supporting cast isn't there yet!

Reply #281553 | Report this post

Jacob  
Years ago

This is going to go down as the worst signing ever and the fans and media in NYC are going to kill him and the club .

He plays no defence and 15 of his 20 points per night came courtesy of a little canadian master called steve Nash who put everything on a platter for him .
Lebron knows this and he ain't going to new York .
And Tony Parker is the no where near the facilitator Nash is . Melo ain't leaving . Knicks just wanted to show their fans they didn't fail the free agency period they'd been waiting so long for !

David lee for me could score the ball at will BY himself . Played defence is a better rebounder ! And is cheaper !

Bad move NYC ! Bad move .

Reply #281558 | Report this post

TR  
Years ago

Way to over drama-tise...I'm guessing you've never heard of Eddie Curry, Jerome James and Jarad Jefferies then?? You could even call Allan Houston's contract worse, $100 mill over 6 years.

Amar'e makes the Knicks relevant again. In the NBA, that matters. They haven't been relevant since the mid 90's.

Having strong clubs in NY, Boston, LA and Chicago (when they sign a FA) makes the league much more viable.

I don't expect the Knicks to have a huge turnaround next season and contend, Dolan had too much garbage to remove from Isiah's days, but this move is huge for the franchise and had to be done.

Reply #281568 | Report this post

Jacob  
Years ago

Over dramatizing ? This is a horrible signing if you want to make your team "relevant again " .

Amare will be like Houston . Curry had major health issues and was never gonna be a star .

What is the knicks roster at this very point ... Amare , gallo , Chandler . And they'll be the basis with Douglas as well . Unless another big time free agent goes there or . Wade or lebron I still think the nets team of last year is better ...

Reply #281623 | Report this post

TR  
Years ago

We gonna have to agree to disagree...

Only an idiot would of given Curry his contract, and at that time the idiot was the GM of the Knicks. Same applies to Jerome James. The whole league knew the risks and they still ignored it. Curry will go down as one of the worst contracts in the history of the NBA.

There are very few impact scores in the league. Probably count them on two hand and the Knicks just got one.

Sure the Knicks have taken a risk, but it's a risk they had to take. Where would they be if Lebron, Wade, Bosh, Boozer, JJ all said no. They wouldn't see the daylight for another 10 years. They signed a top 10 player in the league that was always going to get a maximum offer due to the current GM brainfarts.

The Knicks have now shown to Lebron and Wade that they are serious. Agree, they need to find a decent PG. The Knicks now probably have the biggest pick and roll around with Amar'e and Gallo.

If the Amar'e signing lands the Knicks Lebron, Wade, Melo or Parker (next season), then the signed truly paid off.

If the rumors of Wade/Bosh to the Bulls are correct, then Lebron would have to sign with the Knicks. He won't beat Chicago with that Cleveland squad. He's best bet is to team up with Amar'e in NY. In one of his interviews, he states that they ain't going to win the 'ship next year.

There is speculation that Lebron may only sign 2 year deal with a team to see how it all works out.

Lebron to the Knicks is a very real scenario.

Reply #281659 | Report this post

Jacob  
Years ago

Fair call on all of your points , but I don't think lebron is going to pheonix . I seriously think the nets are the front runners , the bulls by most reports have Wade and bosh . And I think if I'm lebron and I have to pick franchises .

The nets have lopez ( young prosperous centre ) Devin Harris ( crafty point guard who lebron has never had along side him ) terrence Williams highly touted prospect , Sean Williams .

Knicks have stoudemire ( needs a point guard ) gallo ( improving ) Chandler ( inconsistent ) and Douglas a prospect .

I like the nets if I'm lebron . Which will leave the knicks with boozer or lee ...

Or possibly James does the right thing and stays in Cleveland ( as a cavs faithful I wish )

Reply #281697 | Report this post

Jacob  
Years ago

I don't think lebron to knicks *

Pheonix wishes

Reply #281698 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 2:02 am, Thu 25 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754