LC
Years ago

U16 National Championships in Logan

After the first three days of competition, NSW Metro, VIC Metro, VIC Country and New Zealand remain undefeated in the men's draw. QLD South and VIC Metro remain unbeaten in the women's.

SA Metro men are 4-1 (lost to VIC Metro by 16) whilst the SA Country guys are 0-3.

SA Metro women are 1-1 (lost to QLD South by 9) whilst SA Country girls are 0-3.

Tournament Link: http://linky.com.au/yk44m

Topic #23287 | Report this topic

Speed44  
Years ago

SA Metro are 4-1 now, after just beating ACT 5 minutes ago 78-64.

Reply #281523 | Report this post

Nix 42  
Years ago

Wow SA Country.

Reply #281527 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Sa country having a stinker both boys and girls

Reply #281575 | Report this post

Phobos 28  
Years ago

Not suprising considering the stench begins at the top. When one of the coaches puts 5 kids from his own development squad into the team, you can expect trouble.

Reply #281583 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The under 16 crop across the country in both boys and girls is well below par and we have been spoiled by the depth of talent that has preceded them so rather than look for reasons just accept there are strong cycles and less strong cycles

Reply #281592 | Report this post

Phobos 28  
Years ago

Wont help when you leave 2 of your best female players at home. Guess they didn't do their DNSP training well enough, and werent from the right town. Typical of country. If tyhe coach has failed with the super groups, why does he keep getting the job?

Reply #281595 | Report this post

Arvidas Sabonis  
Years ago

"The under 16 crop across the country in both boys and girls is well below par"

You speak for SA I assume.

Reply #281596 | Report this post

Charon 17  
Years ago

Every year people say the Under 16s are not as good as previous groups, both in this State and nationally. That is because it is the last championship on the calendar and people compare it to older age tournaments earlier in the year which look better obviously. It happens every year. Don't believe it. I hear the standard is actually pretty good and our SA boys have been very impressive and our best for a while. Our girls not so but our best player is injured which never helps a small population team like SA.

Reply #281604 | Report this post

Arvidas Sabonis  
Years ago

I know, thats why picked on that comment. I at least can say VIC teams are better than last year.

Reply #281615 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Last years girls Vic M team was much tougher and more skilful.

Reply #281684 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

all u16s should be busting their guts as we now have u17 worlds - a good show at u16 nats would go a long way for a camp invite

Reply #281696 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

SA Country Men are trailing NT mid-way through the 4th quarter!!!!

Live Stats: http://linky.com.au/ion0d

Reply #281783 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

SA Country boys over NT & SA Metro girls over ACT

Reply #281814 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Sa metro men just lost convincingly in semi and will play tomorrow for bronze. Daly, creeper and johns all doing a great job, but overall a very strong well rounded team. Good luck!
SA metro women looking sharp all tournament, but just a few step behind the other leaders.
Country teams haven't done as well as they could have perhaps, but have never given up and kept supporting each other. Country girls have a couple of wins under their belt, and the boys who struggled at the beginning and hit a low just beating NT (without starting p.g who had gastro), have bounced back with a convincing win against qld. Playing for 9th and a chance to prove themselves against vic before coming home. They have worked hard with one of their starters out before tournament, and another badly injured during the first practice.
All teams have represented SA well, they are young and still developing and growing up. We should have only support for them, not non-constructive criticism like "stinkers"

Reply #281973 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

The medal playoffs look like this:

Men
Gold Medal Game: VIC Metro vs NSW Metro
Broze Medal Game: QLD South vs SA Metro

Women
Gold Medal Game: QLD South vs VIC Metro
Broze Medal Game: NSW Country vs VIC Country

Reply #281988 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Those sharp metro girls had a total of 3 assists in their losing crossover game

Reply #281995 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Word is qld boys will be forfeiting there game tomorrow due to illness...

Reply #282003 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Great work from all SA teams, players & coaches. Hopefully the Metro boys can grab the bronze, and the other three teams finish with a win.

Reply #282011 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Country Girls 9th after beating Queensland north, Country boys 9th after a good win over Vic country
Metro girls 8th, losing by two to NZ, with the coach getting "T"ed up in the closing stages & the NZ girl making both free throws & scoring with the side ball on a four point swing! Metro boys about to play Qld nth for 3-4.

Reply #282056 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Considering how badly the country girls went early 9th is a good result. The metro girls didn't win a game in the crossovers which means they probably wouldn't beat the country mob if they played them. Odd that in an 7-8 final the coach would get that excited to get a tech.

Reply #282057 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The coach is the son nof NG, say no more.

Reply #282058 | Report this post

Triton 76  
Years ago

Boys defeat Queensland South 90 to 60 to win the bronze. SA Metro's first medal in this age group in many years. Does anyone know? Anyway great effort, well done to all involved.

Reply #282069 | Report this post

Speed44  
Years ago

SA Metro take Bronze 90-60. Good job boys!

Reply #282071 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Last medal for this age group was gold in 1995

Reply #282073 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

and the next gold will be in 2095 unless they open up the head coach role to tenure

Reply #282102 | Report this post

Triton 76  
Years ago

For once can we keep away from the sniping and just congratulate everyone involved on a great achievement.

Reply #282105 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

By head coach role who do you mean as liam is moving to townsville and this will open up the 16 role for new applicants

Reply #282106 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Triton, don't think its sniping to suggest change if the incumbent has been there around 20 years. After that length of time and in any organization only good would come from such changes and while I don't have anything against the present head coach, fresh blood is long overdue at both SASI and state level and real, not incestuous, change.

Reply #282110 | Report this post

Nix 42  
Years ago

So who is actually doing a good enough job to be considered better?

Reply #282111 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

How about actually appointing a coach to
a girls state who who has coached girls before. But I guess when your the bosses son things like that don't matter. And when you can take your best mate with you as an assistant life as son of god is pretty good. Hope daddy enjoyed watching SA metro lose to NZ for the first time ever

Reply #282114 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

NIX, I'm suggesting a National wide search for the best candidate possible to run our elite program at SASI and oversee the state processes. Widening the net to get an individual who understands all the elements associated with success not just the technical.
114, I think the coach was appointed on merit and had been part of successful state teams as an assistant thus earning his role. Where the problems rise is the perception of nepotism and that's as bad as nepotism. The days of an elite head coach being able to involve his extended family in his occupation are over for all sports save basketball.

Reply #282117 | Report this post

jkl;  
Years ago

Don't forget Mum is the team manager and brother is physio?

Reply #282118 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

And the family dog!

Reply #282122 | Report this post

Speed44  
Years ago

Instead of crapping on here about coaches, let's congratulate the 16 Metro Mens team for their Bronze. Seriously, start another topic about the coaches if you must!

Reply #282127 | Report this post

nkl  
Years ago

Congratulations to the boys on bronze and the girls on eigth, considering they lost their best player before the tournament eigth is a great result. Congratulations also to the coach for displaying passion for SA in a 7v8 playoff game. Results like this prove that SA basketball is in the right hands.

Reply #282132 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Men
Gold: NSW Metro def VIC Metro
Bronze: SA Metro def QLD South

NSW Metro upset VIC Metro by just 1-point! VIC Metro missed a 3-pointed with a few seconds to go to win it after NSW Metro took the lead with 12 seconds left.

Women
Gold: VIC Metro def QLD South
Bronze: NSW Country def VIC Country

VIC Metro by by 30 odd and were simply far too good.

Reply #282143 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

nkl, they lost a player before the tournament started but the best player was in the team they took.

Reply #282155 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

2155 Haaaaaaaaaa Haaaaaaaaaaaaa Great Joke.

Reply #282157 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Who will make all Australian?

Reply #282194 | Report this post

spinner  
Years ago

Do you call punching a hole in the foyer wall PASSION.

Reply #282196 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If this is true, he should never coach a state team again!

Reply #282199 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It's true...Ask the wall near the change rooms about his incident....and the guy that had to fix it the next morning...funny shit...

Reply #282200 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

great joke why anon? There are two players with better potential in the 16 girl's team than the player that missed out surely.

Reply #282207 | Report this post

missed out  
Years ago

get a life or put your name to things you gutless wimps. Be anon if you wish but dont make stupid criticisms unless you have the courage to back it up.

Reply #282220 | Report this post

mr bean  
Years ago

i think in the case of the girls team it was a surprise some of the inclusions that were interesting than who was missing.

Reply #282461 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

to phobos 28, nothing wrong with 4 girls in from mount gambier, maybe if the kid that you are obviously upset about not making it was a bit better they might have got in, the only kid that should have made it that didnt was tori wilson,

Reply #282743 | Report this post

greeny  
Years ago

i have just enjoyed 2 weeks in Qld, firstly watching my daughter play for SA Country and then holidaying and have come home and looked at all this crap about coaches this and coaches that, my kid should have got in, bla bla bla, maybe you people who like to write all this rubbish on web sites like this and don't sign it should put your name to it or better still go and confront coaches and tell them what is on your mind or are you to scared to do it because it might hurt your kids chances of making the grade. as for the coaches, if you can do better than them put your hand up and do it and see how tough it is, that goes to both SA metro and Country. they are there giving there best and although not everyone agrees with what they do at least they are having a go.

Reply #282744 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Both women's groups performed to the best of their abilities and higher results were just not within their scope. Many people have differing points of view on coaches and one or two district clubs have long held the view that they have the best coaches where others believe the cattle make the coaches.
The country coach previously has had, supposedly the best group of girls for donkeys years and underachieved or the players did. I go for the players underachieving as they have done this consistently for many years. What part the coaches played in their yearly average performances is the 64 thousand dollar question.Determining if the players were over rated is also ongoing especially given some of those players have gone on to higher levels and have yet to set the world on fire.
The metro coach had reasonably good teams previously and they had medalled for the past 3 or four years in this age group. A few coaches were involved in these results so judging coaches becomes harder.
Metro this year had a less strong group of girls and they finished 7th or 8th but once again it's hard to put these results at the door of the coach if the team is average.
If you don't have the player strength coaches can only minimise the losses and very little else.Put both state coaches into coaching a weak district U 16 side and see if they win with the players available to them.

Reply #282748 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

#748 good post. I am sure this doesnt excuse the metro coach for his behaviour during the playoff game, & his display of bad sportsmanship post game! If punching a hole in a wall & using the worst language possible within earshot of parent players etc, then we have a long way to go. With such a great mentor coach-Chris Lucas associated with this group, it is an extremly poor showing on & off court!

Reply #282750 | Report this post

As a parent of a child that "didn't make it" I am amused to see that some people can get quite so opinionated about a game of sport that 14 and 15 y/o kids are playing. Yes my child was disappointed but she "moved on" quickly as thankfully she leads a full and balanced life ie there is more to it than basketball. Strike me down for mentioning that!! She got tired of people tell her she should have been in the team when she had actually got over it obviously sooner than they did! She also had parents who were willing to tell her although she can play well, she has areas that she needs to work on. Our only disappointment was that this had to come from us when perhaps the coaching staff could have done this for her.
It seems that parents are the ones that get too involved in the politics when actually it is down to the kids not only to get into these teams but also to actually play the game.
A good dose of "the big picture" would sometimes help and an acknowledgement that players can learn from disappointments as well as their sucesses.
I would love to see how many of these kids from this age group actually go on to make a living out of this game ...not many I would have thought (that would be the "big picture" thing again!)

Reply #282804 | Report this post

Oberon 99  
Years ago

Metro & Country girls coaches seemed to come out of the same school of coaching, both highlight the negative & say very little about the positive aspects of the game. Unsure how these coaches get away with language, bad behavior & still get appointed each year! The only difference between the two coaches was that one completely flipped out & punched a hole in the stadium wall.
Not the conduct you would expect from our State coaches. I am sure if the kids carried on this way it would be their last trip away representing SA.

Reply #282827 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If the rumours of smashed walls by a coach were true BSA would ensure appropriate action was taken and that coach would not be considered for future teams. I have heard nothing more about it so I suspect it never happened and is just a beat up.

Reply #282866 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It happened alright! Daddy has done his best to keep it hush-hush. This will prove if BSA has the backbone to do the right thing and suspend this coach from State, SASI events or tainings.

Reply #282872 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

#866 If you haven't heard anything you haven’t asked the right people.

What is wrong with a coach showing some violence to get a point across? If putting your fist through a wall, and I have been told a very flimsy wall at best, is the price of success then so be it. If that is what it takes for the kids to listen what’s wrong with that. No one got hurt.

And while I am at it..... What is wrong with a few tears after games? I haven’t seen any person injured from over crying. If the kids are played crap you need to tell them. Bravo coaches.

And what is wrong with telling kids that they will only be a Friday night player or the SA team was the worst performing team EVER? Parent of a "leftover" you know what I am talking about... BIG PICTURE.

I congratulate these coaches for having the courage to tell the kids how it was. This group of underperforming, underachieving and undersized misfits will be better basketballers thanks to the 3 dedicated coaches.

Reply #282875 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

How much does a state team coach get paid???. You should fine him a % (say 50%) of his pay for what happened.

Reply #282881 | Report this post

Hydra 87  
Years ago

This coach is a disgrace & should have the book thrown at him. Junior players leaving the changerooms in tears, property damage, plus pleasent language to boot!
It doesnt matter what your surname is, or what club you are from, this behavior is unacceptable at any level.
Shame, shame, shame

Reply #282887 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

875, I hope your post was an attempt at sarcasm

Reply #282901 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Well reading the posts on the U16 Nationals has been most interesting. I AGREE with quite a few posts.

1. If you don't have the player strength coaches can only minimise the losses and very little else.
2. A Metro coach that does this is a disgrace & should have the book thrown at him. Junior players leaving the changerooms in tears, property damage, plus pleasent language to boot!
This behavior is unacceptable at any level.
3.It seems that parents are the ones that get too involved in the politics when actually it is down to the kids not only to get into these teams but also to actually play the game.
4. . as for the coaches, if you can do better than them put your hand up and do it and see how tough it is. They are there giving there best and although not everyone agrees with what they do at least they are having a go. Also lets not forget these coaches basically give up 4 months of their lives to do this for no money, no thanks and most times at great expense to themselves and their families.

And just to finish off unless you were there and no the facts, dont write stuff that is hear say.

Reply #283016 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

sturt coach should stop taking sturt players as they continue to lose every year

Reply #283037 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

agree with the you (37) its a joke!! what's happened to basketball in SA????

Reply #283068 | Report this post

Camel 69  
Years ago

Agree,

Most clubs other than Sturt are so bad that a whole bunch of winging forestville parents have their kids making State teams. And tey can't understand that their kids aren't allowed to do whatever they want and actuall have to do what the coaches want.

Reply #283073 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Neil will probably send them to a development camp which will keep them quiet

Reply #283089 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It will be interesting to see what Mark Hubbard does with this incident & coach. If he turns a blind eye, then this just speaks volumes about the control, care or want to grow the sport from BSA. It doesnt matter what club you come from or who you are related to, this whole matter was a disgrace.
I pity Chris Lucas as he seemed to be an innocent in all of this, with the head coach & his assistant coach "best mate" running around like a bunch of kindergarden kids.
Pick the best coaches for our kids, not just another Sturt coach who is part of the SASI-Sturt boys club.

Reply #283495 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

They probably DID pick the best coach - out of those that applied. Wasn't the word doing the rounds last year that no-one applied for the assistant positions at all? And only one for the head coach role?

I can't even begin to wonder why...

Reply #283502 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Anonymous I am assuming that you are "in the Know" and were at the Nationals - perhaps you can explain what "running around like a bunch of kindergarten kids" means, or are you just a disgruntled parent, upset because your child didnt get court time, or perform to their potential as they should. Because if you weren't there you shouldnt be commenting.

Reply #283505 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I also heard that no one else applied for it. They picked the ONLY candidate!

Reply #283508 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I was there and the coach walked the car park for a fair while...didn't count the times, he was swearing his ass off and carrying on like a tool..

A few parents were amused to say the least, myself included...I also seen the wall that was punched in, also seen the guy that come the next morning to fix it..

so let's get away from did it happen or not...it happened..

Reply #283514 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Dont blame Ben or Nathan, they were just doing the best they could. They followed the BSA coach code of conduct all week, not!
Chris should have been coach, a true gentleman, who treated the whole team & the parents with respect.

Reply #283527 | Report this post

Feagles  
Years ago

Thank you for your input, winging Forestville parents are Nothing New.

Reply #283538 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Feagles, This is a bit more than an eagles - sturt thing and needs addressing in a transparent fashion seeing the display was so public and has received such widespread attention.

Reply #283542 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

You saw the wall that was punched in!! did you actually see who did it? And if you were so amused why are you on here bitching.

Reply #283544 | Report this post

Feagles  
Years ago

Im suggesting that this is another boy who cried wolf situation. Nothing to do with Sturt, who cares about them.

Where it is another in a long line of Forestville parents who weren't happy with their kids being held accountable for their lack of performance and sooked about it.

How many times are winging, sooking parents gonna be listened too? Its not about a coach hitting a wall in frustration if they paid for the damage, which Ive heard they did. But parents continually teaching their kids that its OK not to listen to coaches and be selfish shits.

If I ever had to coach a State team, I am saying that I wouldn't pick a Forestville kid because I havn't seen 1 Forestville parent who hasn't been a complete pain in the arse at a Nationals.

Reply #283553 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Dress it up anyway you want,
Was bad language used-yes
Did the Head Coach punch a wall-yes
Did he represent SA badly-yes
Should he be let off with a slap on the wrist-NO!!!!

Case closed

Reply #283568 | Report this post

spinner  
Years ago

I agree but lets not forget this was SA metro nothing to do with SA Country

Reply #283595 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Who in the current BSA system would be a good canditate for the HC position in 2011
Lynn Holland???

Any other thoughts?

Reply #284075 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Has to be someone who is joined at the hip with SAC to continue the bias and an excellent communicator who realise that heart is as important as footwork just like the incumbent

Reply #284145 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

SAC coaches are hardly going to get gig's in SAM...

Heart V footwork is interesting tho...

SAM players play with plenty of that...show's from the coach too...thats not a bad thing...

Reply #284149 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Walls are paper thin but egos and bitternes arent.

Reply #285672 | Report this post

mmmmm  
Years ago

Just seen some pictures of victorian girls under 16 shaving the coaches chest ,l dont think is proprer behavour for the coach to be doing such acts.any one else heard or thoughts.

Reply #286102 | Report this post

Vic Parent  
Years ago

As a parent of previous winners it has been a tradition to shave coach's and color their hair.I am sure you will find it is done at end of champs celebration where nearly all parents are present.i suppose if you are from SAC or SAM you would not have the experience to know what to do if you win national championship

Reply #286107 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

touche

Reply #286108 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

reeooowwww!

Reply #286109 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

But chest hair!! EEEWWWWWWW

Reply #286112 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

If you want start such a ridiculous post name the Club and whether you put in for a coaching role or are just another disgruntled stirrer at a Club who sits in the shadows.

Reply #286115 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Sorry ignore previous post wrong thread.

Reply #286117 | Report this post

Dallas Rounder  
Years ago

So who is likely to get the SA Metro gigs next year?

U16 boys coach has left the state. U16 & U18 girls I hear won't be applying again. What about U20s? U18 boys coach likely to go again?

Reply #286133 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

absolutely not on with the shaving of the chest hair!!! wrong wrong wrong in so many ways.... and there were parents present hmmm

Reply #286252 | Report this post

Vic Parent  
Years ago

Wrong in so many ways????.....get a grip on yourself..the girls i saw shave legs and dye hair had a ball,all good light hearted fun and hurt no one......i suppose if you see something bad in it i question your mind and morals

Reply #286268 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Hang on a minute now you are saying heads and legs WHAT ABOUT THE CHEST HAIR as documented in the alleged photos - forgotten about that? it is absolutely disgusting!! and I think any parent with any morals should know that!

Reply #286272 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Oh and my 15 year old son says "that is just weird"

Reply #286274 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

There seems more to this every time. Maybe a back, sack and crack work over as well?

Reply #286286 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

ROFLMAO

Reply #286291 | Report this post

ankles  
Years ago

Vic parent - are you saying in an era when working at any basketball camp as a coach requires a 'working with children check' and comes with a warning about contact with players of either gender (by coaches of either gender) that a highly qualified and apparently successful coach having his chest, legs or head shaved by teenaged girls is appropriate on the part of the coach?

Sure, its all innocent fun... until... and there's the dilemma. Neither you nor I get to say what is appropriate. My daughter has had coaches where this would be fine (and they would never allow this to happen). My daughter has had coaches where this would be horrifying (and they probably would!).

As a parent of two teenage daughters my first and continued reaction is 'eewwww - schleamy'. Yours may not be.

Reply #286311 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 6:21 am, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754