LC
Years ago

Aleks Maric: Will he Play at World Championships?

Australian centre Aleks Maric had previously declared himself unavailable for the 2010 World Championships. This announcement followed news that Milwaukee Bucks starting centre and former #1 NBA draft pick Andrew Bogut would also miss the WC's due to his rehabilitation back from injury.

However recent reports from Serbia indicate that the 2010 Euroleague First Team centre and Serbian League Most Valuable Player may well in fact be pulling on the Boomers jersey in Turkey, and in the process boosting the chances of the Boomers by providing his much needed size and presence in the paint given Bogut's absence.

Link (translated): http://linky.com.au/jbvqh

Link: http://linky.com.au/bjw04

Fingers cross the more recent reports from Serbia are accurate as Maric in the Boomers lineup for me means we have a very good chance of progressing from our group.

Topic #23396 | Report this topic

paul  
Years ago

Well let's hope so. While he would likely have a limited preparation with the team, he would still be a key component. With most teams missing key players, if we basically have all but Bogut (with Jawai a fringe player in his condition) we are definintely a chance of quailfying high up in our group and getting a more favourable match-up (Brazil, Slovenia or Croatia) in the round of 16.

Maric, Nielsen, Worthington, Newley, Bruton
Nevill, Andersen, Barlow, Ingles, Mills, Loughton, Martin

That's a decent line-up if they are all on the same page.

Reply #283250 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

I would love to have Maric in the team. But just a question:

Would we want him to play for the Boomers, even if that wouldn't be his first choice? I mean the kid wants to play for Serbia period. My belief is that if someone doesn't want to play for the team, why put him there. Members of the team have to be 100 % devoted to the program

Would he give as much effort as if he was playing for Serbia?

Reply #283270 | Report this post

aussieboomers4eva  
Years ago

I just don't understand this at all. LC's second linky suggests that his change of heart was likely due to Bogut's absence creating an opportunity for Maric as the Boomers starting centre. But when it was announced that Maric would not play, everyone in the world knew that Bogut would not suit up this coming WC's. So Maric must have known that if he joined the squad, at worst he was a strong chance to start.

What guarantees have been made behind the scenes? Or have BA played hard ball with Maric's international status? Brett Brown did say he was hopeful of his inclusion so what did he know that we didn't? It is a very intrigueing change of heart.

Don't get me wrong, I am very pleased with this turn of events, but only if he can be a positive contributor to the squad and not a disruptive last minute inclusion who will not have had the opportunity to integrate within Brown's system.

Reply #283274 | Report this post

Avv  
Years ago

Makes for an interesting matchup in the opening round when we play Serbia!

Reply #283287 | Report this post

Achtung Baby  
Years ago

That Team is Spot on PAUL!

Reply #283290 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

I like that team on paper Paul too.

I hope Maric doesn't want to play with us so he can tank in our game against Serbia! Imagine the betting scandal!!!

Reply #283293 | Report this post

aussieboomers4eva  
Years ago

paul, I recall in an earlier post somewhere else that you advocated Worthington as the starting SF for his rebounding, given no Maric and Bogut. Now that it seems that Maric will play, you appear to still favour Worthington over Barlow or Ingles. I'm not arguing with you, I'm just curious as to how you see where these three players fit in the scheme of things. Comments?

Reply #283296 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

By the way, Brad Newley was just interviewed on SEN Radio in Melbourne and stated that there was still hope that Maric would in fact join the team, likely after thew Stankovic Cup.

Reply #283302 | Report this post

aussieboomers4eva  
Years ago

The plot thickens. It appears that Maric may be subject to a FIBA sanction if he refuses National team selection. Could this be the reason for his dramatic change of heart?

http://linky.com.au/r8375

Reply #283310 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Wow!

Reading between the lines and taking into consideration the translation, I interpret this as Basketball Australia flexing some muscle by telling Maric they will invoke a FIBA rule that will suspend him from playing for anbyone else both before, during and after the world champs for a period that totals 58 days, resulting in missing a lengthy amount of basketball at the start of the European season for Partizan - his club team.

If I am wrong and your Serbian is better than mine, please elaborate further so we can better understand the situation.

Reply #283313 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

That's a good point AB4eva, I would probably start Barlow due to his better perimeter shooting to complement Maric and Nielsen.

I actually originally had Andersen starting in the line-up above as Maric might not have a full preparation, hence Wortho at SF. But then I had a change of heart, put Maric in the starting five and didnt change my SFs!!

Of course, Bruton has now pulled out (it was always a strange decision Boomers-wise to play in Puerto Rico this off-season) so the lineup will change again. If Mills is starting I would have Ingles at SG or SF so that we have a playmaker on the court.

I think Bruton will be sorely missed, we really lack experience in the backcourt. It is also sad that such a great player doesnt get an international swansong.

Reply #283316 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

All good points...I would have Barlow start at the 3 if Maric does in fact play and starts. You now have to go with Mills as the starting PG and I think Ingles also has to start as you point out Paul. We have precious little depth at the SG position...

Reply #283320 | Report this post

aussieboomers4eva  
Years ago

Bruton's unavailability has been my greatest fear for twelve months. I agree that he will be missed as Mills is an outstanding playmaker but still coughs it up too much at this stage of his development.

I think it's laughable that Brown speaks of Bruton's class in declaring his unavailability 'early'. There has been wide speculation of this outcome for a year now. Brown must be smiling for the cameras.

Reply #283321 | Report this post

aussieboomers4eva  
Years ago

From the horse's mouth: Maric speaks out on the situation.

http://linky.com.au/5i72w

Reply #283391 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

He clearly states in that translated article that he wanted to play for Serbia, but his hand was forced by FIBA and Basketball Australia. So he goes on to say that he is therefore willing to play for Australia...basically because he has no other choice - and no mention of potential bans...

Is in heart really in it? Will he put everything on the line for the Boomers if he actually plays when we play against Serbia in our first game?

Reply #283405 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

I think he would. Just feels a strong allegiance to Serbia and might figure he has a better chance at making that roster for the long-term. Having that strong identification with the ex-Yugoslavian states is nothing new - we've seen it in Bogut too.

Reply #283424 | Report this post

Ushiro  
Years ago

Aleks Maric is no different to many other first generation Australian sports people whose parents were born overseas and migrated to Australia. The same issue arises in Football (Soccer) where having dual citizship enables them to play as a local in the lucrative European leagues. Once there, they feel at home with their heritage and naturally if very talented, are eagerly feted by that nation.

The issue they face is to decide whether or not they want to acknowledge the country of their birth, where they were raised, where they got their start in their Sport and where they were strongly supported through the AIS, etc or their cultural heritage.

If you look back at the Australian Basketball Teams of the 1950s through to the early 1960's, they were full of migrants such as George and Mike Dancis, Inga Freidenfelds, Algis Ignatavicius, etc. Later of course the influence of the Nagy and Blicavs families both in male and female basketball was very high. They chose to represent their adopted countries as communism held sway at the time.

Reply #283435 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

I think there could also be something in Australian sporting culture that can push players away. Whether it's the style of media attention (mainstream media can't mention Bogut without talking up his salary), some tall poppy syndrome or something else, I suspect it exists. Either that, or Australian patriotism may be viewed as very vanilla.

I think some of my curiosity on the issue stems from having an Italian-born mother and Slovenian grandparents on that side of the family. I've been to Slovenia all of once (though loved it), but will happily barrack for Slovenia in the World Cup about as enthusiastically as I would the Socceroos.

Reply #283440 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

I am not sure about our patriotism or media pushing people away, I think ours is pretty tame compared to many other places.

I do agree though on the place of ancestory. My clan was a very prominent one in Scotland, but my family has been out here since the mid 1800s, yet I still have a strong affinity for the 'home country'. Not nearly as strong as for Australia though.

Reply #283461 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Whilst I have a Greek heritage, I feel no sense of affinity or attachment to Greece at all.

Reply #283473 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Aleks Maric appears set to move across to Greek and Euroleague powerhouse Panathinaikos! I would assume they have made him an offer too good to refuse...

Link: http://linky.com.au/si24y

Reply #283652 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Fiba.com report that Aleks Maric remains only a "slim" hope of playing for the Boomers at the Woprld Championships.

Link: http://linky.com.au/11b07

"Aleks is still a chance for the world titles with Australia, but a very slim one and we believe he will be unlikely to be available," a spokesman for Basketball Australia told FIBA.

Reply #284994 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 4:39 pm, Sat 20 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754