Isaac
Years ago

Funny NBL Season Tickets promotions

Around the NBL, teams are entering their pre-season training with rosters almost finalised. With the season due to begin in late September, the huge thing for the clubs would be attracting season ticket holders. I've mentioned before that the web is one place that basketball fans are turning to for research and discussion.

I ran around the NBL club sites to see how heavily season tickets were being promoted:

Cairns
No promo. Link to a PDF in a sub-nav item called "Tickets". The PDF discusses 2003/04 Season Memberships.

Melbourne
Well-sized "Membership update" promo visible if you scroll down. Links through to information, prices, map and an application form. Another promo nearby mentions an NBL tipping competition for 2002/03.

Townsville
Terrible site, but small promo for "Get your game tickets now!" No wording for "Season tickets" though. Tickets page does, however, include information, map and pricing and ETA for purchases.

West Sydney
No promos. Link to "Membership" says "Details available end of June, 2004"...

Sydney
Promo (second down in latest news). Not given much focus. Link in fourth column to "Membership packages". Intro message from Goorjian, but any other info is hidden in a 1MB PDF (better than nothing, but full info should be HTML and then the application form only should be PDF if it can't be a web form.

Wollongong
No promos, but prominent link in sidebar shows a decent map, and pricing options. Purchasing only available by phone.

Brisbane
No promo at all, but link in sidebar. Minimal info, no map, and prices TBA "mid 2004".

Hunter
Good promo for the 2004/05 roster, but nothing about season tickets. Under "Come to the game" and "Tickets" there are prices for 2004/05 season tickets, a map and a downloadable application form.

New Zealand
No promos (but their new stadium is going to have a 4-panel video cube!). "Tickets" link doesn't mention season tickets.

Perth
Bland promo in sidebar, link in navigation, and a poll on ticket pricing (results say that people are fairly evenly spread on whether they're value, reasonable or too expensive, and 71% say that prices will influence their decision on signing up -- poorly worded question I think).

Adelaide
Link to buy season tickets and prominent sidebar link (2nd spot). Photo of new recruit, but doesn't link anywhere. Season ticket section shows a cramped, but prominent map and prices within an order form. No indication of whether the prices give anything bar the seats themselves (other teams explain how many home games, bonuses, events, etc).

NBL.com.au
Generally updated with relevant news and polls but no overall call-to-action for fans to buy tickets through their clubs for the coming season.

Overall: less than ideal, but could definitely be worse. In the off/pre-season when there's no MVP voting, no NBL games to review, preview or discuss and limited off-court action, web sites should be dominated by news (however waffly) and ticket marketing. Ticket marketing on the Sixers site (for example) is limited to only two text links out of a full screen of texture and links.

Have a look at the Miami Heat website for a good example of off-season presentation (not the greatest design, but content is king). The masthead is "Shaq in black" telling fans that a big name is coming to town. The top promo is for Season Tickets (prices, group tickets, and so on). The second promo is about Shaq being welcomed to Miami (photos, Shaq merchandise for sale, a feature on Shaq's potential impact, etc). There's also a big promo of being able to view your seats online with an interactive seat finder.

Yes, the NBA has a huge budget and their site gets a lot of money, but it costs virtually nothing to put up more than a photo of a new recruit, to write a feature on their future impact, and to very heavily promote tickets online. If tickets are selling well, tell everyone so that they feel a need to join the huge atmosphere and buy before they sell out.

I think it's fair to say that every NBL site has work to do in this area. I think it's also fair to say that the Miami Heat mascot looks ridiculous. Murray/SamDunk/whatever does a good job, so hopefully he makes a return in 2004/05.

Topic #234 | Report this topic

Murray Magpie  
Years ago

i and my son Sam Dunk have been killed in a terrible accident.

we are no more

sorry isaac

Reply #1673 | Report this post

Kent Brockman  
Years ago

It certainly appears that the clubs are not helping themsleves.

We here complaints from the league about TV and sponsors yet the clubs in general can not even promote the basics.

They should not be just "flogging" season tickets but incentivising and value adding to Joe Public to encourage them to buy season tickets.

Perceived value is marketing 101 give the punter exclusive invites to team BBQ'S, tours of the Dome including the pump up room and change rooms.

get the people involved and they will pay $$$

No spectators combined with no sponsors = no teams = no league simple as that.

Reply #1674 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Murray - seriously? What happened?

I can understand if something like the club song is lost with progress, but not the mascot too? Murray/SamDunk was entertaining, worked hard and the flips down the court were a staple of a night at the basketball. Kids love the mascot and the opening club song, etc.

Reply #1675 | Report this post

Murray Magpie  
Years ago

I would love to be back next year but i have to consider offers from overseas. A mascot only has a short time to earn his money you know.

Lets hope that the summer league try outs pay off other wise i here the Greek league is not that picky about Australians being in their comp.

As for Sam he is busy snacking on the left over Pringles from last year.

Murray

Reply #1676 | Report this post

yogee  
Years ago

As good as Sam was, I think an "edgier", more "in your face" mascot is needed.

Look at the Kings Lion, the Croc from Townsville, and the Snake from Cairns, and they are always talked about.

We need a good mascot, not a recycled Crows mascot.

No offence to Murray/Sam intended, they did a good job for what they were/are, but tiem for a change to somethng better.

Reply #1682 | Report this post

Murray Magpie  
Years ago

So your saying you want my job then Yogee, if in deed that is your real name.

Reply #1691 | Report this post

yogee  
Years ago

Wouldnt want your job for all the beer soaked bread in the world :)

I rememeber when you and the Pura Milk Monster worked together, that was fantastic, till he got sick of being hen-(magpie) pecked every week and quit.

Would you share the limelight with another mascot again??

Reply #1692 | Report this post

Murray Magpie  
Years ago

The court is not big enough for 2 mascots!!

you saw what happened to the pringles mascot when he stepped onto my turf!!

Reply #1695 | Report this post

JC  
Years ago

What about a new club song please!!!!!

Reply #1702 | Report this post

Shaqdiddy  
Years ago

Scrap the club song, scrap the bird, advertise Farley! Admin get your heads inn, I'm sick of this crap you call advertising, I will not be GOOD! I will support a champion team though, problem is that no one else will be there except us die hard supporters who know the game, and the off season happenings! So many people i speak to still don't know Farley is back. look well done on getting a draw card like Farley, but for god sake USE HIM! Last time he was here we were known as TITLETOWN, let the fans know it's going to happen again. After all, who ever shows up is going to see some great ball this season!

Reply #1707 | Report this post

TG  
Years ago

Bring back the old club song with the banjo's and all I say!! At least it had some character to it and was a good sing-a-long for all!!

Reply #1750 | Report this post

Moses Guthrie  
Years ago

Who's calling that song old? It's original! There's nothing old or dated about original.

We are the 36ers, the team for one and all. The pride of South Australia (note how this phrase has been stolen by that "disgracefull" mob from West Lakes - their words, not mine!), the tops in basketball.

If they can't find a tape lying around, I'd be more than happy to belt out the song and be part of a new recording. The new song was crap (I heard that Chocolate Starfish were part of revamping all the club songs in the late 90s and can lay claim to that disgraceful Wildcats song sung to the tune of the Hallelujah chorus).

It's back to the future, it's back to the times when big Ken Cole was puffing ..... oh, you know what I mean. When Bill Jones was the best centre in the league, when Karl Luke was the hottest prospect in the league, when Scott Ninnis was nothing but a dunking teenager with a crewcut, when Ray Wood and Peter Ali were still going strong, when Al Green was known more for his basketball than his [CENSORED] tom performances, when Darryl Pearce was plain unstoppable, when Lyn Parnell and Andy Kay were on the mikes for Channel 7, when Apollo and its darkwood floor where it and a bit, when the Sixers Bad Boys (Phil, Nords, Geoff, Drills etc) were stirring the pot, when you had to duck under the low ceilings in the corridor when going to the dunnies, when Ninnis/Spear/Sexton were fighting it out for scrap minutes, when Leroy/Cal/Rat were hamming it up in Brisbane ..... how I long for the good old days.

Progress is progress, but if you want real progression, hear this: bring back the damn song. It was fantastic and still is!

Reply #2043 | Report this post

X_factor  
Years ago

"We run and jump, and shoot to win, the best there is no doubt,
We are the best team in the land, so come on lets all shout"

I too love the song. PLEASE bring back the song

Reply #2049 | Report this post

mathew turnbull  
Years ago

i reckon the song should come back

Reply #134517 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 12:48 pm, Fri 19 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754