Jack Toft
Years ago

R18 ABL Action

Last minor round game this week and what a season it has been. While the men's top 5 is set, the women’s will come down to the wire. There were more Americans playing than season than last and the only place you’ll find more College basketballers is Cancun. It's been a fun year for most.

Mavs-Warriors @ MB
M: Both teams will finish out of finals this year, but don’t think these teams will go easy on each other. Warriors are no push overs and Mavs are a top 5 team who finished bottom 5. The mountain men should account for Woodies and then lament their season over a jar of moonshine while their banjos gently weep.
W: Should be a great game on Court Madgen. Based on current performances, Lady Mavs are better than at least one team in the 5, but a season is a full 18 games and will fall short by a game or two. Lady Mavs looking for a consolation home court win in the last round should make it a horrible night for Woodville.

Rockets-Sabres @ Hillcrest
M: A tale of two halves last round for North. The ally-oop play came off and North shot the house down in the first half. In the second half Westies came back and sealed the win. Sabres fired up in the second half after a strong first half by Lions. Might just be the wakeup the Sabres needed. Should be a crackerjack at the tin shed with both teams looking for the edge heading in finals. Rockets to be left on the launchpad wondering what happened, while the Sabres to leave their handbags at home.
W: Sabres have won games this year, but not really dominated like they should have. They just quietly get the job done. North’s season definitely all over if they lose, a last home game win could give them a glimmer of hope and BSA a big headache as hey work out who goes through and who is left in the cold. All the luck is with the Sabres who should fight off a spirited Norf, who should strengthen up next season if Ali T returns. Jo Hill to be the key for North. Get an early Friday night Jo, 'coz you won't get a rest on Sat. night.

Tigers-Cats @ Morphett Vale
M: Poor shooting in the first half of the game last round game North a sniff, but the Bearcats came back to spoil their party like Arnie in Commando. Tigers have spun their wheels like a Monaro at Seacliff on a Saturday night. The only way Tigers will win is if the 'Cats have a brain freeze. ‘Cats minor prems for a reason and if Davo is back on Saturday night, "let's party".
W: Fantastic game last round by the Tigers who will finish 4th or 5th if they win. ‘Cats will be difficult to beat at home so the Tigers need to get on top early to bring it home. This is GOTR in the womens with the Tigeressess looking to seal their fate by their own hand. They can play under pressure, but the Tigers may have played their grand final last round sadly and might be biting their claws hoping for a Sturt win.

Lions-Panthers @ Starplex
M: Last round was another game that slipped out of the Lion’s paws. They were competitive in the first half, but a 3rd quarter brain fade gave Sabres the opening they needed. Panthers took it up to Eagles in a spendid display of never say die. This game will be a pretty good one despite it being 2 lower teams slapping each other like two fat Germans at Schutzenfest. Both teams will want to finish on a high and this might just be a rare Lions win.
W: Sabres were pushed last round and Panthers were the unfortunate victims of a rampaging Eagles. Lions are actually not playing a bad game at the moment and need to improve their passing efficiency to be a threat. Reckon the Lions might just crack the seal this round with a much needed win to farewell the season. Might be one big party up north with plenty of passionfruit cruizers melting the memories of another season.

Eagles-Flames @ Wayville
M: The Eagles will be tested tonight. Like I said last week, anyone can crack a ton against a weak team, but would love the see the Eagles crack a ton against the Flames. C'mon boys, give the Flames a headache. Flames are all defence and so may just contain the free flowing Eagles outfit to a frustrating score to bag an away win.
W: Eagles were ruthless last round and the Panthers were disected like a cane toad in year 10 Biology. Without their big name players Norwood look ordinary and the Eagles will repeat what they did last week by slowly disecting the Flames in front of a home crowd. Like in pulp fiction, Eagles will call for the Wolf before the men's game can start.

Topic #23406 | Report this topic

anon  
Years ago

I will miss this over the off season.

Ecellent job all year and look forward to 2011

Jack your a legend!!!!

Reply #283460 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

cant wait to see the finals wrap ups should be good

Reply #283463 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

cant wait to see the season wrap up, should rip into a few teams and coaches for underperforming

Reply #283464 | Report this post

anon  
Years ago

top work jack toff
a season review be great - please do be great to reflect

Reply #283472 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

Thanks,
you should see the stuff I leave on the cutting room floor......

(eg She's fatter than Isaac Forman's wallet! - you can't say that)

Reply #283489 | Report this post

Detroit  
Years ago

Ha ha fantastic as always Jack!

Reply #283547 | Report this post

:)  
Years ago

South girls beat centrals by 1 points.

Reply #283589 | Report this post

Ian B  
Years ago

Who Won ?????????????

Reply #283591 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Central girls robbed blind by the umps to go down by one

Reply #283592 | Report this post

Ian B  
Years ago

Any others?

Reply #283593 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

West pumped southern

Reply #283596 | Report this post

Detroit  
Years ago

Sturt by 5 over North. Neither team played that well, kind of a scrappy game. Jo Hill, and Caroline Burgess stared, North pushed for a 3rd and 4th quater comeback but couldnt get over the line. Poor shooting % was the killer.

South by 1! Disappointing the centrals girls couldnt get a win, but it does seem like the quality gap in this league is closing. Go the Lions i say!!

Reply #283597 | Report this post

SSTomatin  
Years ago

West Women won 91 to 67 without Lisa or Irene. BUT..........get ready ..sit down......MEN Lost in Overtime from the weakest charge call ever.Oh well shouldnt have been close to be decisive.Tigers won 86 to 82.Full credit to them.
(Gosh i wanted to run a Bowie Knife up the mascots tail,haha)

Reply #283598 | Report this post

Harry Hopeless  
Years ago

Anonymous perhaps Central 29 turnovers had something to do with the loss.

Reply #283599 | Report this post

Detroit  
Years ago

Wow maybe west just getting their one bad game out before finals????

Reply #283600 | Report this post

Triton 45  
Years ago

Men. Eagles over Norwood by 2 and Sturt over North by 20. Sturt and Norwood level on wins but Sturt have the tie breaker which means they host Norwood with the winner to take on West. The loser plays the winner of North hosting Forestville.

Reply #283601 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

Tigeresses into finals.

My spy at Starplex says the atmosphere at the girls game was huge. Unlucky. And yes, they said umpiring wasn't too bad, then a switch got flicked in the ref's brain and Lionesses could do no right.

He said the comical calls continued. In the men's one of the South dude's rode a Lion over the endcourt line like a jockey right in front of the ref - no foul and South got the ball. Would love to see that on YouTube.

Reply #283602 | Report this post

interested  
Years ago

marino playing finals for sabrettes?

Reply #283608 | Report this post

over rated?  
Years ago

southern didn't want the win look at their line up "phillips" played like 8 years ago as a junior, still trying her luck? knew they were in so just let their bench and a hopeless has been/never was take the court for junk time. Southern still pathetic as usual

Reply #283611 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Heath jury retired before he was fired

Reply #283615 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Harry,
it was a poor game for sure by both teams with Centrals definitely a team of poorly skilled ladies but they were butchered, diced and roasted by the officials who called one end of the court differently to the other. Bottom of the table results don't generally matter but centrals deserved better.

Reply #283616 | Report this post

Westbearcub  
Years ago

West-Southern men's game was nasty from the get go. Two Unsportmanlikes on different occasions against southern player (got sent off middle of third). double tech foul too blake and another sourthern player with a foul in there too.

West played like shit, good win for southern (weak charge call in the end won the game but still west fault)

Reply #283618 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

over rated? - Southern Girls have a few injuries, hence why players who normaly don't play played. I thought they did well to stay that close for most of the game.

Reply #283622 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Is Southerns Spencer injured? If so whats the prob

Reply #283626 | Report this post

Well  
Years ago

Quote 283618
West-Southern men's game was nasty from the get go. Two Unsportmanlikes on different occasions against southern player (got sent off middle of third). double tech foul too blake and another sourthern player with a foul in there too.

West played like shit, good win for southern (weak charge call in the end won the game but still west fault)
It was a good game and great win for the Southerns men and thier coach, West will need to get thier p/g to start passing the ball sooner and stop hanging on to it too long if they to win in the finals,Maybe Brad will be back for the next game and things will change. What i seen of the game too many west players where only looking out for themselves and not doing the team thing, not sure if it changed after the third 1/4? But good luck in the finals .......

Reply #283631 | Report this post

Westbearcub  
Years ago

anon #283622
West didnt have irene, lisa, kate, kerrin, amy, meg and sky was injured this is the way it has been for the girls for practically the whole season yet somehow we have managed to survive and get into finals.

Reply #283635 | Report this post

beaniebear  
Years ago

Westbearcub, your team was expected to make finals, the injuries they've incurred make it a great effort to reach the finals. Meanwhile, Southern wasn't expected to make finals especially after starting the season 1-6. To make the finals with a 10-8 record with the vast majority of their squad u/21, I'd say that's a good effort.

What's wrong with congratulating teams that make the finals?

Reply #283638 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So not that minor rounds are done and dusted who is everyones tips for the finals series?

In the men, West were looking good all season until last night, maybe just a slip up, and Norwood always looking solid, yet they were pushed by the Feagles last night and Sturt took care of North comfortably.

In the women Sturt looked only average against North who also played average last night, Norwood with some injury woes. West and the Feagles seem to be travelling okay.

Certainly makes for some cracker games over the next 3 weeks.

And also considering some peoples comments regarding certain calls at the late stages of the game, which referees should be controlling the business end of the season?

Reply #283643 | Report this post

Panther32  
Years ago

Norwood for mein the men, they have picked up Dan Thompson over the past few weeks so they have only improved. Again, it will be a Norwood vs Sturt final with North a dark horse...

Reply #283650 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

westbearcub - i agree west had injuries. In fact did they not only have 8 players Sat night? West certainly deserved the win and I would be happy to see West go all the way this year and not get knocked out in straight sets.

I was merely pointing out to over rated the reason as to why some of the tiger girls were not playing.

Reply #283655 | Report this post

WestBearcub  
Years ago

Sorry, it was just all seasons we have heard how this team has lost because they were missing this player and this player and we have been struggling all season with our team rarely having a full bench. I didnt mean to jump down your throat.

Reply #283656 | Report this post

WestBearcub  
Years ago

"this team" i mean various teams throughout the season

Reply #283657 | Report this post

Detroit  
Years ago

*group hug*

Reply #283658 | Report this post

Graeme LeBroy  
Years ago

The referee coaches have selected a Central ABA finals panel consisting of 12 referees. As far as I am aware, this panel does not have Philip Haines or Andrew Filmer in it as they have refereed over the required amount of NBL games to be qualified for their State League finals series.

Reply #283849 | Report this post

William Wallace  
Years ago

Graeme;
Has this list of 12 finals referees been made public yet??
Do you have some inside knowledge of whos on this list lol??

Reply #283936 | Report this post

Graeme LeBroy  
Years ago

I don't think it has been made public as yet, however all referees in the finals panel have been notified of their games this weekend, so it should be on the BSA website in the very near future. I'm unsure if the whole list of 12 will be made public, but the referees on the games this weekend will be (8 on games and 4 reserves).

And I think I know 9 out of the 12 selections.

Reply #284012 | Report this post

mail man  
Years ago

How do you know? Are you a ref coach?

Reply #284019 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Obviously a referee who's one of the 12 on here to gloat and big note himself.

Why would you post that? Why not stay in the background where referees belong?

Reply #284037 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

i don't thnk you need to be a ref coach or a coach to work it out

Durant, McDonald, Wieland will all be there (national panel refs)

Devlin (pushing for national panel)

Zare, Just (last years women's GF ref) Cresp, Troy or Frost should round them out

only suprise i would see if Devlin misses been out injured alot and one of the Zare, Just, Cresp Troy, Frost posse might be overlooked for Maidment.

Reply #284040 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

No Devlin (injury) my mail no Zare (moving interstate)

Reply #284043 | Report this post

up on the web  
Years ago

Forestville v North Men - Wieland/Just
Sturt v Norwood Men - Mcdonald/Dan Troy

Norwood v Southern W - Cresp/Zare
Sturt v West W - Mark Frost/Maidment

Congratulations, and have a great call.
Let the teams decide it...

Reply #284045 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

McDonald, Wieland, Just, Maidment, Zare, Cresp, Frost, Troy

Reply #284046 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If Filmer is available why not use him? NBL players play in this league so what if he's an NBL ref. Shouldn't they use the best available referees?

Reply #284049 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

no durant?

Reply #284051 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I'm sure Graeme can explain why Durant doesn't have a game this week

Reply #284053 | Report this post

Hmmm?  
Years ago

Heath Jury should have been sacked three years ago!

Reply #284191 | Report this post

Hmmm response?  
Years ago

To Hmmm?

Your dad should have used a condom - care to put some substance behind your post?
Heath put a lot of time in with little reward, perhaps you can list the things he/club should have done instead.

Im guessing you've coached an ABA team to the finals already so should have all the pieces to a championship sorted yeah?

Reply #284269 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 12:52 am, Thu 25 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754