jazzeryyyy
Years ago

Tall Blacks vs. Boomers in up and coming years

N.Z

1.Webster/Ruscoe(both scorers webster getting better at controlling a team but will be under the radar now after his bad choice, when ruscoe is at the point he becomes a pass first player and i think he is better at the 1)

2.Ruscoe/Abercrombie(Ruscoe can flat out shoot and get to the hoop. Best open cpurt player at any age right now in aus or nz, Tom Athletic and has a lethal 3 on him after watching the NZBL Finals)

3.Abercrombie/Prewster(Defensive stoppers and both extremly athletic. slash very well and get above the rim to finish with beauty)

4.Loe/Trueman(tall and tough, Can spread the D and have a good enough 17-20 foot range. Rob will be alot tougher after he is done in St Louis aswell.)

5.Perkins/Bradshaw(with the addition of Perkins bought will not have his way with the Tall Blacks anymore. hes great on D. And with Webster and Ruscoe coming off on balls the aussie D could be in alot of trouble. I know there not rondo but perk will get more looks coming off screens now. New Zealand will be very good)

AUSSIE.

1.Patty/Delly/Cadee(Tough,fast,team first, patty is world class and will be there awhile. The other two will be alot better from being under him and the PG spot is looking good for aussie)

2.Page/Selly(both athletic. jorden can go left or right and get past his defender at anytime. likes to get to the hoop and finish high but needs to work on his one or 2 dribble pull up.

3.Selly/Greenwood(christian is a TOUGH nose player and goes out hard every game. Great D and range for days. Can not be left open.

4.harris-trunks/Young(both big bangers whos game is improving out of site in colorado and st marys. the future is bright for these two with eurpoean basketballsort of games)

5.Bought/Jawaii (both still young, Both NBA talents that will cause alot of trouble for n.z. the PG spot belongs to aus as well but the other 3 spots belong to n.z)

Im going with N.Z in the future.

what you think??

Topic #23412 | Report this topic

LC  
Years ago

Ummm...missing a lot of up and coming players! Australia compared to NZ has depth at every spot coming up through the ranks...the only concern would be the 3 spot IMO but I think we will be OK as I expect Creek will more than fuill that gap over the coming years.

Here is a brief summary...all players I list below are under the age of 23 and whom I consider a chance to one day pull on a Boomer singlet. And yes, I may have missed one or two players, but this is a good start.

Point Guards
Patty Mills (Portland, NBA)
Matt Dellavedova (Saint Mary's, NCAA)
Jason Cadee (Gold Coast, NBL)
Jorden Page (Saint Mary's, NCAA)
Nate Tomlinson (Colorado, NCAA)
Jackson Aldridge (AIS)
Mitch Norton

Shooting Guards
Anatoly Bose (Nicholls State, NCAA)
Hugh Greenwood (AIS)
Ryan Broekhoff (Valparaiso, NCAA)
Christian Salecich (Saint Louis, NCAA)
Anthony Drmic (AIS)

Forwards
Joe Ingles (CB Granada, Spain)
Code Ellis (Saint Louis, NCAA)
Brock Motum (Washington State, NCAA)
Mitch Young (Saint Mary's, NCAA)
Mitch Creek (AIS)
Ater Majok (Connecticut, NCAA)

Centres
AJ Ogilvy (Besiktas, Turkey)
Matthew Hodgson (Southern Utah, NCAA)
Shane Harris-Tunks (Colorado, NCAA)
Andrija Dumovic (AIS)

And there are plenty more players I could add that miss this list by just 1-2 years...

Also, you missed big Kiwi centre Steven Adams who hs committed to Pittsburgh in the NCAA.

Reply #283407 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

PS: Great to see you have faith in the New Zealand sides of the future, but I really do think the Aussies have you well and truly covered across pretty much every position.

Reply #283408 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

Jackson Alrdidge committed to Butler University just a few days ago. By all accounts, their 2011 class is supposed to be really strong, so he could be part of an NCAA tounry run right from his freshman year.

Steven Adams is a beast; 6"11 and he is just 16 years of age.
Dominated the NZ age group stuff, but I want to see him go up against tougher competetion with guys his size..He was going up against 6"4/6"5 centers in NZ so of course he was going to dominate.
We tried to get him into our JTB team for the upcoming FIBA series; He would easy dominate Trist, Thomas, Sinclair

Reply #283418 | Report this post

jazzeryyyy  
Years ago

ok point well seen. i have missed out alot of young players in the aussie program. joe ingles being the big one i think.

AJ Ogilvy is a very good player but disapointed with his lack laster effort against the tall blacks last time they played and so was Jawaii.

i think the shooting guard postion and also the small forward position goes to the kiwis.

I saw the webster play against them the aussies growing up and he had no problems. He never went against patty though which will be the true test.
Also was in Adelaide to watch ruscoe againt Christian Salecich and Jorden Page. He scored at will because he is one of the quickest players i have seen and also has deep range.

Also i have seen Adams play in person and i was wrong to miss him off the list and he will be a tall black very soon.
In his national final he had 36 and 20 boards. apprently he averaged 37.8,18.9 and 5.5 bloacks the whole tourney. VERY athletic for a 7' footer BUT needs to learn the game more. he is young tough

Kiwis also have BJ anthony NZ breakers
and a you PG to back up Webster and Ruscoe at the PG he plays for the Nelson Giants.

Sorry for boasting the N.Z team but i think we need to watch out for them.

imagine in 4 years

Mills vs. Webster (aus)
Ruscoe vs. Salecich (50/50)
Ambercrombie vs. ingles (aus)
Loe vs. Majok (n.z)
Perkins (if avalible) or adams vs. AJ Ogilvy (n.z)

Reply #283421 | Report this post

yessirrrr  
Years ago

i like this conversation,

aussie is to good though i think?

Patty mills is by far a level above. NBA bound and the brightest future we have

Reply #283423 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Mills vs. Webster (aus)
Ruscoe vs. Salecich (50/50)
Ambercrombie vs. ingles (aus)
Loe vs. Majok (n.z)
Perkins (if avalible) or adams vs. AJ Ogilvy (n.z)"
WTF. why are yo posted our crap players? in four years it will be

Mills
Newley
Ingles
Who knows by then
Bogut

That's not to mention players that are young now, but by then will be very good players, oh and did i mention we have Aleks Maric, all euroleague first team!

face it, your best players are NBL role players!

Reply #283426 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

For the next 8 years at least, a full strength Boomers lineup would be looking at the following players IMO:

C: Bogut / Maric / Baynes / Nevill / Ogilvy
F: Jawai / Motum / Majok
F: Ingles / Barlow / Worthington
G: Newley / Greenwood / Bose / Salecich
G: Mills / Martin / Markovic / Gibson / Dellavedova / Cadee

And plus, these guys will be pushed by the younger ones coming through as outlined earlier.

If the Aussies field anything close to full strength, the Kiwi's have no chance.

Reply #283445 | Report this post

mystro  
Years ago

I agree that Australia is very deep across the board in every position. The difference in population size guarantees this.
New Zealands main strength is that we play with passion and we play hard, especially against Australia.
With all these top quality guys coming through in the next few years the only thing we can guarantee is that the series in the future will be just as tough as they are now.

Reply #283452 | Report this post

yessirrrr  
Years ago

use are idots. have you not seen us lately vs new zealand. our names on the back of our shirts dont get us through.

they play for the symbol on there heart when they play us.

They aint scared of our names, clowns

Reply #283465 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"use are idots. have you not seen us lately vs new zealand. our names on the back of our shirts dont get us through.

they play for the symbol on there heart when they play us.

They aint scared of our names, clowns"

wow they beat us once when we didnt have our 5 best players :O

Reply #283509 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

Beat Australia once Anon?

Reply #283555 | Report this post

hurley  
Years ago

hahah pretty certain that for the majority of the last decade NZ had been very competitive with us. Sure we had more 'talent' but they had a better team.

Reply #283565 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Beat Australia once Anon?"

Yes, "lately" as that guy said, they have only beaten us once...

Reply #283567 | Report this post

mystro  
Years ago

That one win looked pretty good from where I was sitting and it was enough to win the series and give NZ the #1 qualifying spot for Oceania.
As for the we didn't have our best players cop out comment, were NZ @ full strength? No

Reply #283741 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 10:26 pm, Thu 18 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754