shano
Years ago

Predictions on 2nd import

Who do we think it will be? Obviously some ppl know exactly wh it is, i would like dante smith but think he's playin in europe?

sorry if this is already covered in another post.

Topic #23416 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Sucks its some we already know, i cant think of too many potential imports going that arent either over priced or just has beens in this league. New blood is need, as much new blood as possible IMO

Reply #283513 | Report this post

Ballinger Fan  
Years ago

Marty via Boti's recent newspaper articles has dropped a few hints, but apparently cannot confirm yet,
hints I recall so far are

3 man, been in the league recently but not last season, well known to some of his future teammates
{ex Magic player is my guess}

Reply #283515 | Report this post

Hendo8888  
Years ago

Judging by those hints, I've come up with Rosell Ellis.
Rosell Ellis played with Holmes and Hill at South. Carter and Herbert also from South. Dowdell from Townsville where he's also played.
Played in 08/09, but not 09/10.
Not necessarily a 3 man, more of a 4/5, but he is 6'6 which fits the Small Forward sort of height. (Listed as a Small Forward on Wikipedia FWIW).

Reply #283517 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

maybe its Ebi Ere

Reply #283518 | Report this post

shano  
Years ago

yea thats why i was thinking someone from the dragons (would know carter and herbert) so smith or darden> either would be fine by me. i have a good feeling about this season, pity i cant get to many games as too many firday nights and sunday arvos to travel from whyalla, but am pumped nonetheless, gonna be awesome.

Reply #283519 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I think it could be Tremmel Darden ex South Dragons player

Reply #283520 | Report this post

Hendo8888  
Years ago

Darden fits too, but I suggested him in the other thread among other names and was told that none of the ones I raised were right.
Rosell Ellis wasn't raised at all in that thread, which made me think it's him.
Smith and Ere were shot down as too expensive.

Reply #283522 | Report this post

Ballinger Fan  
Years ago

I cannot actually recall much about Tremmel Darden, but that is one of the names that keeps coming up.

Reply #283524 | Report this post

illicit  
Years ago

i hadnt thought of Ellis if so that'd be a great pick up, but time will tell i guess

Reply #283526 | Report this post

justin  
Years ago

Bit of a risk signing a 35yr old isnt it? If it is Ellis.

Reply #283528 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

Bowen is a name becoming quite popular on that other thread

Reply #283530 | Report this post

Big Ads  
Years ago

I doubt it is Tremell Darden, he has signed with a French club (check out his Facebook page).

I wondered if it might be Bakari Hendrix, in the mould of a small forward but playing in power forward/centre positions during his brief NBL career.

Bakari had passion, just ask Casey Frank.

Reply #283532 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Tremmell Darden has signed with Nancy in the France ProA. Ebi Ere has re-signed with Pepsi Caserta in Italy.

Donta Smith is a free agent I believe, as is Ellis. Both are players whose selfless attitude would appeal to Clarke. Ellis would fit with the 36ers fiscally responsible approach, Smith wouldn't, unless he just wants to come back to Australia and has dropped his asking price.

Some other small forwards who have been in the NBL in recent years - Brian Wethers, Jared Newsome, Dave Thomas, Sean Lampley, Willie Farley, Galen Young, Marquin Chandler, Kevin Freeman...

Reply #283535 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

Aw it's not Bowen ( reading other thread/s)
Ellis sounds pretty good to me.
Do you think ? ( 35 ? ) - I wonder.

Reply #283537 | Report this post

Jonno  
Years ago

my guess was either Darden, Newson or Bowen as a SF, but i didnt think of Rossell Ellis, i always thought of him as a undersized PF/C not a SF,

do people think he has the quickness and perimiter skills to play SF, i think he would atleast have to have a good mid to out range shot and be able to penetrate to be a good SF, i cant remember him playing well enough to think if he had those attributes, but i do remember him being fairly well regarded for defense, hustle and put up fairly good numbers in his times in Australia. Age is a concern though given our lack of success with Chappell and Groves in recent years,

Reply #283539 | Report this post

A  
Years ago

Lets just hope it will be Donta Smith.

Reply #283541 | Report this post

NBA agent  
Years ago

how much money has 36ers got left to spend?

Reply #283546 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

You'd hope it's Donta Smith. We need a big time scorer and while he wasn't that big a scorer with the Dragons he did show the potential to be one.

Winder/Ng/Smith/Ballinger/Johnson
Carter/Herbert/Hill/Holmes/Dowdell

That team could challenge for a playoff spot.

Reply #283550 | Report this post

Jonno  
Years ago

I just found a few youtube clips of Ellis and found an old crocs game with him playin against the 36ers (one of Tyndales first games i thnk), and if it is Ellis i would be happy (assuming he hasnt lost his game), he is athletic, runs the floor well both hards, rebounds well, defends and hsutles and can play in the low post and seems unselfish.
He probably is more of a 3/4 than a 3/2 which i was hoping for, but it may be handy having a 3/4 as if Johnson turns out a bit inconsistant, he is quite young, he could help out inside and him posting up would also alow ballinger to step out and play his mid range game on offence, whilist still having a good strong low post presence.
Aslong as he hasnt lost his game ala Cortez, he should be a fairly solid signing if thats who we are getting, and given the clues that have been in the paper and on this site, he is now my guess, id also be happy with a Darden, Bowen and even happier if we some how landed Donte Smith or Ebi Ere.

Reply #283556 | Report this post

Logic  
Years ago

Logic says look at West Sydney's previous imports...

Reply #283563 | Report this post

Jonno  
Years ago

Are you saying its Low, Hinson or Devries, Low and Hinson are combo guards, both can score and Devries was a shooter from memory, i think he was around 6'5 so could prob play SG/SF

Reply #283571 | Report this post

Years ago

Rickert......

Reply #283574 | Report this post

shano  
Years ago

I hope its not ellis, no disrespect he was (maybe still is )a very good player, but surely we have learned a lesson with chappell and cortez? we need a guy in his prime that can score, imo.

Reply #283575 | Report this post

illicit  
Years ago

Rickert is out there again, why not he had some big games at the dome as a Breaker, an brings that crazy man intensity

Reply #283576 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

derrick low has signed a contract in europe already

Reply #283577 | Report this post

Igotmadskills  
Years ago

didnt ellis have a heart attack or something.

Reply #283582 | Report this post

KingJames  
Years ago

Ellis Tore his bicep from the bone or something like that. He is a good player and could play as a small forward but I doubt it is him we are getting

Reply #283583 | Report this post

Gazza  
Years ago

I wonder if anyone has an advance smell of the import.... There are a few people out there who can apparently smell a turd from a mile off, so perhaps we can use their skills to help us narrow the field down, and let us know if there is a funny smell headed for the Dome or not.

Reply #283613 | Report this post

nickyg  
Years ago

Tremmell darden

Reply #283621 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The 2nd import will be revealed sometime next week or in 2 weeks.

btw he is "white"

Reply #283632 | Report this post

Hendo8888  
Years ago

If he's white, it basically narrows it down to DeVries or Low. Low isn't a SF and apparently has already signed, so I guess that means we're getting DeVries.

... Bugger

Reply #283633 | Report this post

shano  
Years ago

devries can play he is a deadly shooter, but gees he is not a 3 man, 6 foot 4 leaves us small unless he doesnt start and hill does (yikes). i think we will be playing "small ball" this season, exciting and fun to watch but not likely to win a championship. of course it may not be devries. rickert would be a great pickup but probably leave us imbalanced but i would like to see him in sixer blue.

Reply #283637 | Report this post

46ers  
Years ago

Devries has a big contract in Spain so would be surprised if it is him.

Reply #283639 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Kevin Ratzsch ?

Reply #283640 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Kevin Ratzsch ?

Reply #283641 | Report this post

Hendo8888  
Years ago

Ratzsch hasn't played NBL before.

Reply #283644 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Has never player NBL.......correct
But was that actually stated by the coach?

Playing for Ringwood in the Big V league on top of the table with a 17-2 record
Kevin is a solid player, can play multiple postions
currently averaging 19.4pts/11.8reb/2.2ass
shooting at 58% from the field & 86% from the stripe

A real blue collar worker, with long arms, defends well, a good shooter - with range..........would be a great fit for Marty Clarke

Ellis, Devries, Low....
I know who I would rather have on my team!....

Reply #283646 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Has never player NBL.......correct
But was that actually stated by the coach?

Playing for Ringwood in the Big V league on top of the table with a 17-2 record
Kevin is a solid player, can play multiple positions
currently averaging 19.4pts/11.8reb/2.2ass
shooting at 58% from the field & 86% from the stripe

A real blue collar worker, with long arms, defends well, a good shooter - with range..........would be a great fit for Marty Clarke

Ellis, Devries, Low....
I know who I would rather have on my team!....

Reply #283647 | Report this post

Hendo8888  
Years ago

I'd rather have Ratzsch than DeVries or Low, but not necessarily Ellis (age would be the only factor).
Was actually very impressed with Ratzsch in HSH, won't be a dominant import, but will do a lot of things and do them well.

"We want a guy that knows the league, knows Australia, knows the players," Clarke said.
He didn't definitely say it's an existing import, but he said he knows the league, which kind of suggests he has played NBL before.
You could argue that Ratzsch knows the league because of the HSH though.
With the clues, he sort of knows the league, he's played in Australia, he knows a lot of the players by playing in HSH (played with Ng and against Hill), he's primarily a Small Forward.

Reply #283649 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

he is also playing in australia right now (big v)

Reply #283651 | Report this post

sam  
Years ago

Ratzsch is a good state league player but is he good enough to be an import in the NBL?
DeVries is a great shooter, a proven performer and is putting up solid numbers in Spain, which would be one of the toughest leagues in Europe...I doubt if he would come here or that we could afford him, he would be on good cash in Spain.

I guess we'll find out soon...but I'm thinking it's Ratzsch.

Reply #283653 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

isnt devries playing 2nd division?

Reply #283659 | Report this post

Justin  
Years ago

Ratzsch was pretty impressive in HSH and has also played in Ireland and averaged 30.4 ppg and 12.9rpg. Can't imagine the Irish league being that good though.

Reply #283661 | Report this post

Jonno  
Years ago

As far as i can remember the only white imports to play in the nbl in the last 2-3 years were Horvath, Low, Rychart, Gruber, Redhage, Ballinger, DeVries and Owens,

given its a SG or SF that pretty much narrowes it down to DeVries or Low, who are both SG's, as the others are either bigger or signed, if you add in HSH the main names i could think of are Ratszch, Thalo Green, Riley Luettgerodt,

out of them Low, Devries, Green, are the only ones who have played NBL, if its out of them i hope its Derrick Low as he was the best out of them from my memory, or if its a fresh face from HSH id be happy with Ratszch i enjoyed watching him play.

So for those who know is it either Ratszch or Low?

Reply #283663 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Maybe David Bailey who played for the wildcats.

Reply #283675 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 12:02 pm, Fri 19 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754