LC
Years ago

Boomers name team for Stankovic Cup

Basketball Australia has named the Australian men's team selected to defend Australia's Stankovic Cup title in Lizhou, China from 28 July to 1 August. australia will take on China, Slovenia and Iran in the tournament.

Australian Boomers Lineup
David ANDERSEN / 212cm / 30 / Centre / Houston Rockets (US)
David BARLOW / 205cm / 26 / Forward / CAI Zaragoza (Spain)
Aron BAYNES / 207cm / 23 / Centre / EWE Baskets Oldenburg (Germany)
Adam GIBSON / 188cm / 23 / Guard / Gold Coast Blaze
Joe INGLES / 203cm / 22 / Forward / CB Granada (Spain)
Steven MARKOVIC / 190cm / 25 / Guard / KK Crvena Zvezda Beograd (Serbia)
Damian MARTIN / 188cm / 25 / Guard / Perth Wildcats
Patrick MILLS / 183cm / 21 / Guard / Portland Trail Blazers (US)
Brad NEWLEY / 198cm / 25 / Guard / Besiktas (Turkey)
Matthew NIELSEN / 209cm / 32 / Forward / Olympiacos (Greece)
AJ OGILVY / 211cm / 22 / Centre / Besiktas (Turkey)
Mark WORTHINGTON / 202cm / 27 / Forward / Brose Baskets (Germany)

BA Link:
One would expect Maric as the only likely addition to this team for the WC's, probably at the expense of Byanes or Ogilvy. I would have liked to see Nevil in tyhis squad rather than Baynes myself as Nevill has more size and also has range on his jump shot whereas Baynes does not.

Still, a very strong team selected.

Topic #23424 | Report this topic

LC  
Years ago

Sorry, here is the BA Link: http://linky.com.au/xtfjb

Reply #283674 | Report this post

jawoi  
Years ago

Baynes plays with passion

Reply #283677 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

I'd like to think anyone that pulls on a Boomers jersey would play with passion...

Reply #283678 | Report this post

aussieboomers4eva  
Years ago

Our three strongest low post guys are IMHO Bogut, Maric and Jawai. In their absence, I'm not surprised to see Baynes included in this squad. It will be interesting to see who makes way for Maric though.

Reply #283681 | Report this post

XY  
Years ago

I must say I did not imagine any eventualities where Gibson, Martin and Markovic all got call-ups for the final team in Turkey. But that now looks more than likely.

Without CJ, it is not a guard rotation with a lot of scoring punch off of the bench.

Reply #283706 | Report this post

XY  
Years ago

Mills / Gibson / Martin
Newley / Ingles / Markovic
Barlow / Worthington
Neilsen / Ogilvy
Andersen / Baynes

With Maric a possible insertion.

Surely that would have to be at the expense of a guard, although Brown has said he thinks Worthinton is a 4. If so, the 'small ball' line-up could look like this:

Mills / Gibson
Ingles / Martin / Markovic
Newley / Barlow
Neilsen / Worthington
Andersen / Baynes / Ogilvy

Reply #283708 | Report this post

Flip  
Years ago

A.J would go I think. Baynes has a year under his belt in Europe where A.J is fresh out of college less experience IMOM

Reply #283710 | Report this post

TheFansMan  
Years ago

Why isn't Jawai in?

Reply #283718 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Jawai pulled out for personal reasons...he is having a baby (his partner is), and he does not have an NBA contract for next season at this stage.

Reply #283725 | Report this post

rjd  
Years ago

For the World Champs, I'd lean towards your simplified small-ball lineup of:

Mills / Gibson
Ingles / Martin / Markovic
Newley / Barlow
Neilsen / Worthington
Maric / Andersen / Baynes

- Ingles complements Mills as another playmaker in the starting lineup.
- Nielsen and Newley's slashing to create options (Maric to help clean up).
- Mills to pick'n'roll with Maric (from what I've seen, the pick 'n' roll needs to utilised to make Maric effective).

- Barlow provides a scoring punch off the bench.
- Worthington a different 4-man option, creating a perimeter threat at the 4 spot.
- Martin to play a J.Smith kind of roll (defensive guard who can hit the open J).
- Andersen to play 4/5 and provide a more versatile scoring option off the bench.

Reply #283735 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

FYI Brad Newley play for BC Lietuvos Rytas... not his old club „Besiktas ColaTurka"

Reply #283783 | Report this post

Beantown  
Years ago

I agree that is a good lineup for the Stankovic Cup. The only real surprise for me is Baynes. I guess they must have decided to get another look at him during this tournament, but I would have thought Nevill would be a better option.

Other than that, I still reckon we are too overloaded with PG's. Don't think we really needed both Gibson and Martin and Markovic doesn't stand out either, but perhaps got the role as a tall alternative PG to Mills should matchups require it.

Not a bad team though. Should do well in the Stankovic and hopefully we can head into Turkey in some good form, with a couple of additions like Maric and/ or Nevill.

Reply #283861 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 12:09 pm, Thu 18 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754