DB5
Years ago

Should Cleveland retire Lebron's number?

Okay, was catching up on NBA news over the weekend, and skimmed over an article somewhere (SI maybe?) that questioned whether or not Cleveland should retire Lebron's number.

Now I have little knowledge of Cavs history except my memories of Craig Ehlo (he he) so maybe some Cavs fans can fill me in here, but has Cleveland ever had a better player?
(Please no Shawn Kemp jokes lol).

Career averages of 28, 7 and 7 over 7 seasons are great averages no matter how much you like/hate the player.

Thoughts?

Topic #23429 | Report this topic

No Deal!!  
Years ago

I think Dan Gilbert's reaction would give you a fair idea about the thoughts within the club of Lebron...I highly doubt they retire his jersey after the way he exited. Does he deserve it? probably, but I just can't see it happening.

Reply #283760 | Report this post

Ricey  
Years ago

I don't think stats alone should determine if a players number should be retired... Ewing and Robinson for example, both had great stats but more so where better leaders and also contributed plenty off the court!

So no I don't think LeBron should get his number retired by the cavs at this point or in near future

Reply #283769 | Report this post

hereschenes  
Years ago

There's an honour and respect element to having your number retired, surely. Regardless of LeBron's career numbers to date, there's simply no way Cleveland will retire his number, ever (notwithstanding a highly-unlikely future LeBron return to the Cavs.) Having said that, there's probably no Cleveland player that will want to wear the number anyway, unless they bring it with them from another club.

re. other great Cleveland players, Mark Price comes to mind. Wikipedia lists these as Cleveland's currently-retired numbers:

• 7 Bingo Smith, F, 1970-79

• 22 Larry Nance, F, 1988–94

• 25 Mark Price, G, 1986–95

• 34 Austin Carr, G, 1971–80

• 42 Nate Thurmond, C, 1975–77

• 43 Brad Daugherty, C, 1986–94

Reply #283772 | Report this post

DB5  
Years ago

hereschenes my Ehlo comment was tongue in cheek. I actually liked Mark Price, and the Price/Daugherty double in NBA Jam was sensational! ; )

I am on the fence here, part of me agrees with you regarding the honour factor etc, but part of me recognizes how good you need to be to average a near triple double for 7 seasons, and to take an average team to the Finals.

Reply #283777 | Report this post

The Champ  
Years ago

Bingo Smith is an awesome name.

Reply #283778 | Report this post

hereschenes  
Years ago

Sorry DB5 - actually, beyond Mark Price and Craig Ehlo I run out of names! The Cavs to me have always been a completely non-interesting entity, until the LeBron years.

I suppose it's similar to the debates re. Barry Bonds and OJ Simpson - at what point should sporting honours and awards be cancelled out by off-field behaviour and controversy? I never really thought of LeBron's number being retired though - my knee-jerk answer is still "no way." Easy for us oustiders to kick it around I guess, but imagine if this was a discussion re. Julius Hodge (assuming he'd dominated the league for a few seasons before leaving the Sixers?) Given the level of emotion, the fans would tear the singlet down off the rafters if the club tried to retire it, and I suspect it would be the same with LeBron in Cleveland.

Reply #283794 | Report this post

Ushiro  
Years ago

From the way the Cleveland Fans are reacting, they have their own slant on "retiring" his number.

From Sports Illustrated July 20th:

Stung by the NBA superstar's decision to leave Cleveland and play for Miami, Cavaliers fans have been unloading their unwanted No. 23 jerseys, T-shirts and other clothing items bearing James' name at locations around the city.

Organizers are shipping the discarded James gear to homeless shelters in South Florida.

"It's like any breakup," said Beau Miller, who began the campaign with three friends. "You want to give all your stuff back."

Read more: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2010/basketball/nba/07/20/lebron.gear.ap/index.html?xid=si_nba#ixzz0ulo58fXs

Reply #283795 | Report this post

Oberon 17  
Years ago

It could become the eternal flame of cleveland

Reply #283798 | Report this post

Boom Patrol  
Years ago

no

Reply #283804 | Report this post

illicit  
Years ago

so now cleveland people will hate the homeless cos they are wearing LeBron jerseys

Reply #283827 | Report this post

Ushiro  
Years ago

..... only if they go to South Florida (ref #..795)

Reply #283830 | Report this post

LA Boy  
Years ago

this is pretty stupid question...NO

he'll probably retire in Miami

Reply #283832 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Maybe they should copy Miami - who have number 23 retired in honour of Jordan. Especially brilliant considering Jordan's cruel history with Cleveland.

Reply #283840 | Report this post

Beantown  
Years ago

No chance. Stats aren't enough. You have to demonstrate you give a crap about the franchise. Lebron didn't give a crap... instead he took a great big crap all over his former team on national TV.

Reply #283858 | Report this post

DB5  
Years ago

Any reason why it is a stupid question LA Boy? I put it out there for discussion, so um thanks for your input.

Beantown, fair call regarding the crap, like I said, I am on the fence, just curious of other's opinions on the situation. Still cannot argue about what he did for Cleveland before this offseason.

Carr had his number retired for career averages of 15, 3 and 3.

Reply #283903 | Report this post

shin splints  
Years ago

This is not as crazy as it sounds.

Over time, the wounds of the nationally broadcast "The Decision" will heal, and perhaps Cleveland will realise that all Lebron wanted to do was join his friends and try and win multiple titles. He gave the Cavs 7 great years, took them further than ever before, but he just didn't have the supporting cast to get it done.

The way it was handled was terrible, but I think eventually people will lose the hate and realise his reasoning.

I can see in maybe 10-15 years the Cavs retiring his number - maybe once the Cavs have new owners.

Reply #283940 | Report this post

Juror 12  
Years ago

Two things make me lean towards "No":

1. The way he announced he was leaving

2. The Boston series (looked like he quit on the team/coach/club to me)

Reply #283944 | Report this post

They should retire #23... But out of respect for Jordan, like the Heat did.

I think that would be a nice snipe at LBJ.

Reply #284044 | Report this post

the word  
Years ago

of courses they should retire the number of the best player ever to play the ganme !! if Maiami Heat can retire Jordan's #23 and Dan Mariono's #13 and King retire #6 for fans (lame !!!!) - then what more the ebst player of all

Reply #292787 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 6:45 am, Wed 24 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754