Flinders80
Years ago

Not looking good for Mills with Portland

Mike Barrett

Is going to training camp with a roster that closely resembles the one from last season a horrible thing? Of course, there was not only the addition of Matthews, but Luke Babbitt, Elliott Williams, and most likely Armon Johnson. Does that totally satisfy you? Probably not, and that's fine. But, where do you stop when you start dreaming? Who are you okay with giving up? Are you fine with blowing up the core of this team?

Topic #23434 | Report this topic

panopios  
Years ago

i dont like it. Mills will be hidden more than what he's been last year.

if so, Mills should be traded to any team that can give him some playing time

Reply #283971 | Report this post

Hey Flinders80 not quite sure of the connection of the article to the situation with patty.. basically nothing has changed since summer league.

This quote is just talking about the additions to the team and Patty as we know was with the Blazers last year. For Patty these guys are just competing for a roster spot with him but its just all speculation about how things will go for Patty. Patty is very different to all these guys and brings different things to the team.

Reading the quotes of the summer league coach and the head scouts after summer league they pointed out that Patty showed them what they knew he had, basically a good shooter, fast, energy guy, the team and coaches love him.

Of course questions are regards his decision making, turnovers and defense.

His competition for a spot is Armon Johnson, who from reports was impressive defensively, calm, strong, but cant shoot from over 10 feet.

So with Andre Miller and Armon the Blazers would have 2 guys with similar offensive games, so Patty is one of the few good shooters left (Steve Blake gone obviously, Webster gone who was a streaky shooter, Roy and Bayless both not the best 3 point shooters, Rudy on the outer, Babbitt and Williams rookies).

I still think back to the Suns series as a Blazers fan and wish Patty could of got some time as the Suns sagged of Andre Miller so much and they had no one to make them pay.

If like me you read the boards on Blazersedge there is not a lot of love for Patty, basically he's too small, defense liability etc etc.. gets a bit tiresome because its just the opinion based on lazy generalisations cos Patty's 6ft. And a few guys there seem to have it in for him as there is a belief that the owner Paul Allen picked him for the final roster spot ahead of Ime Udoka, who is a Portland guy and really liked in Portland and by their fans.

I still think Patty has a good chance to make the roster, they will watch him at the World's and then at training camp. The thing against Patty is the coach Nate McMillan, who is a defensive minded, limit turnovers, slow paced guy. But to show some of these improvements and his obvious strengths is what he needs to make it.

I would love Patty to play for the Blazers, but I do think it might be best for him to go to a team which suits his style. But I still think a good world's and training camp and patty has a good a chance as the other guys, they still have to show they are NBA players too and Armon Johnson that he can hit a consistent jumper.

And I guess also it is about expectations about where Patty fits in the league. If he is the 15th spot of portland, perhaps thats where he sits in the NBA, as a deep bench guy and thats what he will be at another team anyway. We rate him higher obviously, but the NBA scouts and coaches know what their doing. I just hope he gets time this year somewhere to show us all either way!!!

But i guess its just wait and see and hope he dominates for the Boomers!!

Reply #284011 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

that was a great post until you suggested that nba scouts and coaches know what they're doing - have you not been paying attention?

Reply #284033 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

He can't be traded, he's a free agent. The blazers won't re-sign him. He's too small and has no defense.

Reply #284054 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

He's a restricted free agent. Someone has said before he's been linked with a team in Italy.

Reply #284058 | Report this post

Ricey  
Years ago

Why has his agent not pressed Knicks? Obviously a good match for him as far as coach, other players. Oh and a good Australian community there!

Reply #284068 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

From hoopsworld live chat:

Charlie in Portland:
who makes the Blazers as the 3rd PG...Mills or Johnson?

Jason Fleming:
I don't think Johnson is a point guard in the NBA, so there's my answer. They need a pure point guard on their bench, and Bayless and Williams are not pure point guards. Mills played very well in Summer League. What I expect will happen is Portland will make some kind of 2-1 trade, and then keep Mills and Johnson.

Read more NBA news and insight: http://www.hoopsworld.com/Chat.asp?CHAT_TOPICS_ID=1080#ixzz0usVlAQtk

Reply #284072 | Report this post

nickyg  
Years ago

He plays great D but he is small.

Reply #284106 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

I've said this before in other threads - Mills' game does not suit that of Portland. Mills is at his best in an uptempo offence, and Portland like to grind it out in the half court.

Having said that, Mills offers something different to what Miller and Bayless can provide. Whether he gets a regular opportunity at Portland if he stays is anyone's guess.

Teams that I think Mills would be suited to include New York and Phoenix amongst others. But I would like him to go somewhere where he will at least get a chance to be a genuine back up off the bench. Otherwise I would prefer he went to Europe to be the starting stud PG.

Reply #284109 | Report this post

Curtley  
Years ago

Patty is a good defender, it's just a stereotype that small guards can't defend whe in reality they are generally only shown up in the low post.

Reply #284133 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 5:34 am, Wed 24 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754