Isac
Years ago

No charge zone rule

The no-charge zone, te area under the ring where the defence cannot take a charge. It gives the offence more freedom in the paint and send them to the free throw line more.

Another new rule being introduced.

Do we like it? Is it promoting more violent play (more injuries occcuring from it)? Is it making it too dificult to defend?

Topic #23441 | Report this topic

Jack Toft  
Years ago

I dont really like the rule. It promotes violent play and will give referees a harder time. Defence something every country other than the USA can do will be much harder to accustom to

Reply #284112 | Report this post

kad  
Years ago

Its hard enough getting charge called correctly (or even at all) as it is.

Reply #284114 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

I know, do you reckon there will be more controversy about whether you were in it or not?

Reply #284119 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

One more thing for refs to get wrong. Like the idea but cant see it working. There is enough frustration over how refs see block/charge. Adding another element to the decision seems to be a recipe for disaster

Reply #284132 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

IMO it should only be used at high level basketball hard to get junior players and refs to know where they are supposed to be on a court let alone try to work out where they were when contact happened. especially when the contact can carry the players away from the circle. Senior players of high level and refs at that level usually have a well honed sense of where they are and should deal with it well. it should be like time outs on court, elite level and by law it out of juniors and lower levels like social and div 3,4,5

Reply #284136 | Report this post

DJ  
Years ago

Never been a fan of any charges being taken inside the key at all. If you have given an offensive player enough room or have been beaten to the key than the offensive player has one thing on his mind - shoot. At this point the defender should also have one thing on his mind block/challenge the shot, too many times we see defenders not even consider the offensive shot and take the option of trying to draw a charge.

Also their is nothing better than seeing the bigs go at it rather than seeing them flopping against each other.

How it will be interpreted may well mean it is better left out but if they can get it right I think it will be good.

Reply #284148 | Report this post

Junga  
Years ago

To the three questions -

1) I personally like it.

2) I don't see how it promotes violent play at all.

3) I don't think it makes it too difficult to defend. Charges being called when the defensive player is under the basket just drive me crazy. This should help prevent players being bailed out by being in poor defensive position but being able to con a charge out of the refs. It will still happen but hopefully the refs will get it right most of the time.

Reply #284150 | Report this post

hereschenes  
Years ago

I think it's a stupid rule. As other posters have said, just another thing for refs to make a mistake about and players to get angry about, for no real gain besides an extra dunk or two.

Reply #284154 | Report this post

dave  
Years ago

for one - it breeds conflict between the ref and the players as to weather or not a player was "in" or "out" of the no charge zone.

two - does anybody think there would be an issue with defensive players undercutting offensive players as they stepped out of the no charge zone, and therefore under a player attempting a shot/layup? if the offensive player has no where to land, then there will be contact...

Reply #284160 | Report this post

Clem Scott  
Years ago

Good question but just another rule that will be subjectively administered not objectively. It will only end in tears.

Reply #284173 | Report this post

DaddyO  
Years ago

It begs the question of what will be allowed. Calling an unsportsmanlike on the offensive player is a big call for a referee - a potential 6 or 7 point turnaround on the call - so you wouldn't think it will happen much.

I think the power forward will be more important, maybe start recruiting rugby players to clear the way. ABL clubs will be chasing Spadge!

Reply #284180 | Report this post

The key word here is "Charge" this zone does not become a free for all offensive area, pushes, elbows holds by offense players will still be called. Charges where players going to the basket will be landing in the zone if there is contact then it will be deemed that the defense didnt give space for the offensive player to land (hence no charge but a block)

As another example I go hard to the basket make my score and land but carry on to make contact with a defensive player it wouldnt be a charge but a push, still an offensive foul. The key is the landing!

Reply #284185 | Report this post

Junga  
Years ago

Any new rule creates the opportunity for more conflict between the ref and the player. That's no reason not to install new rules. Most players called for a block will think it was charge. Most players called for a charge will think it was a block. This will be no different.

I'm quite sure most of the players called for a block because they were inside the area will think they were outside the area. The ref will for the most part ignore their complaints and the game will go on...like it always does.

Reply #284197 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

i like it. i'm sick of seeing the defense step under the basket to take a charge when it's dangerous to the offensive player. if anything it will make the game more exciting for the spectator.

Reply #284219 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So if you collide with a defensive player inside the area it will automatically be called a block. If that is the case I can see some long striding layups just simply targetting the defense who in my opinion has only one option but to step aside and let him score. If he charges forward to get out of the circle he most likely will not have good defensive positon. If he remains like a tree inside the circle he is a sitting duck!!!

Does this apply to juniors as well??

Reply #284227 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Easy. Don't be there in the first place. Problem solved. Defenders are taught now not to be under the basket, you can't do anything there. This makes it official. I like it, but of course it's change so all the keyboard warriors here will hate it!

Reply #284235 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I think this just puts a line on the court. Most officials at the top level dont reward players who make a last ditch effort that close to the basket.

Normal to let it go.

Reply #284237 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

what people don't know is that the charge zone goes out the window when the ball is passed to a post inside the key about 3 feet from the foul line to the basket, there is a box there. this will hopefully stop big heavy guys running over their defenders.....

Reply #284246 | Report this post

Osmond  
Years ago

DaddyO, what are you talking about??????

Reply #284253 | Report this post

Ganymede 64  
Years ago

Reply #285334 | Report this post

tumbleweed  
Years ago

so if player A grabs an offensive board....player B has good position but is inside the no charge zone...and player A clears out player B with a shoulder for example....i wanna, and would usually call a charge....do i stand by and allow this? stuff the zone...i'm still blowing it up

Reply #320476 | Report this post

jords  
Years ago

i like the rule because it stops the defence just house guarding the rim all the time, it forces them to push out of the lane and not clog it up all the time!

Reply #431578 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Ask a ref for the determination of the rule you'll soon see most don't recognise it.

Reply #431603 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 6:08 am, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754