LC
Years ago

FIBA Bans the Vuvuzela!

Basketball's gioverning body FIBA has officially banned the use of the vuvuzela at the upcomiong World Championships in Turkey and all other FIBA sanctioned events due to "health concerns".

Link: http://linky.com.au/oylix

From the article:

"FIBA is the first international sport federation to officially ban the vuvuzela from all of its events."

"The vuvuzela is simply not appropriate in a confined space such as a basketball arena. It's a very loud instrument and some medical experts believe the decibel level and frequency can be harmful to hearing."

"Besides our responsibility to protect the well-being of our athletes and fans alike, the sound level in an indoor sport arena could create communication problems between the referees and that could have a direct negative impact on the game."

I think the ban is great as we will be able to now hear all the action on court! What do you think?

Topic #23485 | Report this topic

SRT070  
Years ago

damn i was keen to bring it to the dome, weslo no doubt wouldnt let me through the door with it to begin with.

Reply #284997 | Report this post

Tru Blue Emcee  
Years ago

I bring my horn (I dont call it a VuVu) to almost every game, and most people around me love it, but I can see now the world cup has ruined my chances on bringing it to the dome this season :-(

Reply #284998 | Report this post

SRT070  
Years ago

a few seasons back i used to go to the boat shop across the road from the dome (at the fork of crittenden road and grange road) and used to buy the proper canister boat air horns which are intended for emergencies. that was awesome put shane heal off a few times with that, only really used it for free throws. weslo was not impressed after a few games.

Reply #285001 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

2006 u16 National championships i think it was? It was held in canberra anyway, and a couple of teams like vic country and queensland north had the horns. was a great atmosphere during games

Reply #285016 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

The Eurobasket is massive for horns, particularly the Slovenian fans. I hope not all horns are banned, because with the excellent ticket sales for Turkey the atmosphere at those cross-Euro battles wil be awesome.

Reply #285031 | Report this post

dave  
Years ago

I recently went to the Vancouver Winter Olympic Games and let me tell you, I have bought a few of the bells back and if you ring them for like 5 minutes, it drives people mad. Sounds great, but not for the person in front.

Reply #285207 | Report this post

skip  
Years ago

They mentioned on Sports Tonight last night, that the NBL is expected to ban them in the coming days.

Reply #285215 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

I would expect the NBL to ban the Vuvuzela based on the fact the NBL is a league under the auspices of
Basketball Australia - therefore through assopciation a FIBA aligned competition.

Reply #285223 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 11:02 am, Thu 25 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754