LC
Years ago

Youth Olympics: 3-on-3

The first-ever Youth Olympic Games (YOG) that is organised by the International Olympic Committeee will be conducted in Singapore from 14-26 August. The YOG are a version of the regular Olympic's, with a focus on young people aged 14-18.

FIBA has decided to introduce 3-on-3 basketball instead of the standard basketball format...

FIBA Story Link: http://linky.com.au/k6gtc

Youth Olympics Website: http://linky.com.au/h9nzm

From the FIBA article:

"FIBA has decided to use this new basketball format at the YOG as it is consistent with the values of the event: a celebration of sport for young people, balancing athletic performance, culture and education."

"It's not an alternative, but it's an add-on, and we may have it at the Olympics as early as 2020,," said FIBA Secretary General and IOC Member Patrick Baumann. "For many people around the world playing 3 on 3 is their introduction to basketball. It is fun and exciting, and an excellent format for inclusion in these first Youth Olympic Games."

Australia is being represented in the girls comopetition only by:

Hannah Kaser
Mikhaela Donnelly
Olivia Bontempelli
Rosemary Fadljevic

I'm not sure why we don't have a boy's team going as well.

Topic #23486 | Report this topic

TheRealDJ  
Years ago

I recently played this modified version of 3on3 against the Singapore team and really enjoyed it. It is a very good, fast paced style of game and I think should be introduced more around the world as a bit of a fun change.

Reply #285042 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

Really not a fan of it.

Kind of annoys me how it is organised by the Olympic Committee and thus the players get a free trip.

Whereas, if players want to go to the prestigious Albert Schweitzer Tournament in Germany (that has produced NBA stars) they have to pay 8 grand.

I just reckon that the money used to fund the trip would better be spent on developing the true basketball style (5 on 5) at the grass-roots level or getting our youngins to major international 5 on 5 tournaments.

3 on 3 is fine at the national level as a pre-season method of getting athletes ready and improving chemistry and skill.
International Level though? No.

Reply #285046 | Report this post

HO  
Years ago

Interesting macdub. My understanding that BA funds the team that attends Albert Schweitzer.

Of course thats a invitational tournament, run by the German federation. The singapore event is run by the IOC, and therefore auspiced I would imagine here by the AOC.

Again, I understand that both groups get their trips funded.

As for 5 on 5 basketball, with FIBA saying that want 33 in the olympics by 2020, shouldn't Australia be preparing for this?

Isn't this just a parallel movement to what happened with Volleyball and Beach Volleyball?

Reply #285122 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

I wasn't aware that BA funded the trip. The New Zealand team had to pay to go the AST (8k).

Reply #285124 | Report this post

anon2  
Years ago

Any one know why a boys team isn't going?

Reply #285167 | Report this post

SA Watcher  
Years ago

Who picked the teams?

Reply #285343 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

They are the girls from the under 17 squad who missed selection at the recent worlds.

Reply #285354 | Report this post

ankles  
Years ago

From those that nominated. Selection criteria changed part-way through the process.

Reply #285371 | Report this post

SA Watcher  
Years ago

Very transparent

Reply #285396 | Report this post

Juno43  
Years ago

So what was the selection criteria?

Reply #285555 | Report this post

SA Watcher  
Years ago

Are they the best we could pick for the team.

Reply #285785 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

no, it must be just for fun isnt it?

Reply #285902 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Australia's results so far:

- Australia defeated Chile, 18-9.
Botempelli 9 points, Kaser 4.

- Australia defeated France, 21-15.
Bontempelli 12, Donnelly 4.

Next game today is against Japan, followed by a game against Italy tomorrow.

Reply #286213 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Australia lost to Japan 10-17. Bontempelli top scored with 6 in a game where the Aussies shot themselves out of the game with poor shooting.

Next play Italy.

Reply #286333 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Australia defeated Italy 29-15.
Kaser top-scored with 8, whilst Bontempelli and Fadljevic each had 8.

Austyralia could be looking at a 3-way tie for first place in Group D. Italy and Japan also have just 1 loss and play 1 more game tomorrow.

Reply #286373 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

very average team apart from qld rep...but I am not surprised by anything anymore.In once and in for life

Reply #286377 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Australia finished 1st in Group D and play their quarter final against Brazil who finished 2nd in Group C. Game is on Saturday.

Reply #286532 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Kaser had 13 according to reports and I don't think the Australian government would invest so heavily in this event if it was for fun. Go Aussies, I don't care which state youre from

Reply #286639 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Australia defeated Brazil 23-20 to move into the semi-final to be played against USA.

Kaser led the scoring with 10, Bontempelli had 7 and Donnelly 6 in the win against Brazil.

Reply #286652 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Australia defeated USA in the semi-final 25-23 in extra time! Aussies trailed by 8 at half time only to storm back to force OT.
Bontempelli top-scored with 15 points, while Fadljevic and Kaser had 5 each.

Australia now meets China in the final, a team they defeated in the 1st game of the tourney 18-9.

Reply #286736 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Also, the Youth Olympics highlights on channel 99 Go today showed the Aussies girls defeating Brazil. Kaser hit a monster three in that game that was easily beyond NBA distance.

Reply #286737 | Report this post

anon2  
Years ago

Well Done Girls, Lets stop bagging our kids who make a lot of sacrifices to be the best they can.
Who cares what state they come from. That goes for all our National Teams. GO AUSSIES

Reply #286738 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Great work by the girls,all the best against China in final. But they beat Chile in their first game.GO GIRLS.

Reply #286743 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Sorry - you are right. My mistake.

Reply #286756 | Report this post

basketball taxi  
Years ago

Does anyone know why we weren't represented by a mens team?

Reply #286772 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

BA recap from the Aussie's win over the USA: http://linky.com.au/7ncx1

Reply #286778 | Report this post

anon2  
Years ago

Aussie Girls won Silver. Well Done

Reply #286801 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Australia lost to China 29-33 after trailing 9-20 a half time. As mentioned, they earn a silver medal.

Bontempelli top-scored with 18, Kaser had 8, and Donnelly had 2.

Reply #286808 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Sorry, but a total waste of time and a total waste of money. Like sending our swimmers to a pool party. Where is the prestige in this? No offence to the girls but i just don't get it.

Reply #286810 | Report this post

ankles  
Years ago

So you thought you'd come on here and let everybody else know you don't understand? As far as I know it's neither your time nor your money that's being wasted so no problems right?

Reply #286813 | Report this post

Astor  
Years ago

If we hadn't sent a team then some other Anonymous would be complaining about how we are denying our young athletes the chance to compete at the international level.

We should take every chance we get to give young Aussies the chance to represent their country playing the sport that they love. You can't measure this type of opportunity in dollars and cents.

Reply #286822 | Report this post

Juno43  
Years ago

Couldnt agree more Astor. Our kids mixed it with some fantastic athletes whether you rate 3 on 3 as a legitimate game or not. The speed and intensity is tremendous. Dont forget that the Aus team gave away height to the rest of the world. They made up for it in guts and grit. Bloody fantastic effort from some fine players who have demonstrated that they can transfer skills fom 5:5 to this new code.

BTW Asia has been playing this game for years.

Reply #286827 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 2:52 am, Thu 25 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754