kb3
Years ago

Shaq signs with Celtics

http://linky.com.au/tos3m

Topic #23511 | Report this topic

LC  
Years ago

After rumours surrounding Shaq being associated with the Celtics as reported in the Free Agent Tracker thread yesterday, the big fella has finally secured a 2 year, $3 million (approx) deal to play a 19th and 20th NBA season with Boston.

NBA.com: http://linky.com.au/ht5uf

ESPN: http://linky.com.au/4vhcr

Beantown, what do you think of this move?

Reply #285211 | Report this post

Osmond  
Years ago

If someone told me in 2000 that Shaq would play for six teams in his NBA career, I would have thought that person was a fool.

I'm torn. On one hand, I'm glad to still have him in the league and I like the idea that he would have maybe played 20 seasons in the NBA by the time all is said and done. And why not sign with the Celtics? They're a good, classy team.

On the other hand, the ring chasing of the last five years is getting pathetic. I think it has damaged his legacy to a degree. It doesn't matter though, he'll be a firt ballot Hall of Famer and have his jersey retired by the Heat and Lakers (at some stage.) But if he does win title with the Celtics, it will be a bit of a joke given the team jumping of late.

Reply #285212 | Report this post

Starks  
Years ago

You just can't beat the legacy of a one team career.
Jordan, Magic, Bird, Isiah et al are Legends.
I know that some truly great players have changed teams such as Kareem, Wilt etc. but every time a great player changes teams it somehow diminishes what came before.
I read an interesting fact that at the same stage in his career as Lebron is now, Jordan had yet to win a championship...

Reply #285214 | Report this post

Bball fan  
Years ago

C C C C Crazy!!!!!!!

Reply #285217 | Report this post

Tornado  
Years ago

Osmond...How is Shaq's Championship chasing any different to that of Bosh, James, Garnett, Artest etc just to name a few?

The big fella has been a catalyst of Championship winning teams before (Lakers & Heat). Why shouldnt he at his age chase that winning feeling again?!

Reply #285249 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

For the vet min i think its a good move. As long as he can keep his ego in check and play his role its a pretty low risk move.

Reply #285259 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I love the diesel but its a Bad move for the celts. Shaq, Garnett, Jermaine, Big baby, then when Perkins comes back in 2012 theyre way too slow. My prediction. Lose in the 2nd round to the Heat 4 - 1
As Phoenix and the Cavs found out He's not the answer.
Only thing Shaq would be good for on the team is a laugh.

Reply #285267 | Report this post

thedoctor  
Years ago

Anyone who says Shaq isn't a steal at the vet's minimum has no idea. He effectively replaces Shelden Williams on the roster.

He is great insurance whilst Perkins is out, and if Perkins' injury recovery doesn't go to plan.

Doc would have made his role very clear - as long as he accepts this, it's a great pick-up.

Reply #285268 | Report this post

MAD  
Years ago

Have to agree Doc, If Shaq accpets his role he will be a steal. His problem last year was they tried to feed him early in games like he was fed in his Magic/LA days. He isn't the type of player anymore that you can give him the ball and get out of his way. If he can play a defensive role and not clog up the middle in offence he will be effective. I know some people will say how can he not clog up the middle being his size but in offence I think they need to play him more around the foul line setting weakside picks to open up shooters. This is something Boston's Offence does well.

Reply #285272 | Report this post

Curtley  
Years ago

number 32, 33, 34, and 35 are all taken, maybe he can wear his age, which is 38 or 45 or something.

Reply #285283 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

starks - Jordan didn't play for one team his whole career...

Reply #285287 | Report this post

TP  
Years ago

I'm guessing he will run with #13. It was his Team USA number.

Reply #285293 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Shaq will be wearing 36.

Reply #285295 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It was a 2 year $3m deal too.

Reply #285298 | Report this post

orbit  
Years ago

If it happens (& it sounds likely) i think it will be great for a no. of reasons. I've not been a Shaq fan since he left Miami but this move could spice up the East. Doc Rivers will take no shit from this 'most dominant big man ever' yet 'biggest locker room sook ever'& surely it will be his last crack at a title. Maybe Rashhed will come out of retirement also & make it more than a 2 horse race. Boston will give Shaq an environment that won't tolerate his crap! Thoughts?

Reply #285301 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Not interested in your thoughts, orbit.

Reply #285304 | Report this post

TR  
Years ago

Im just waiting for the C's to sign T-Mac and AI and go old school. Would of been an awesome team 5-6 years ago.

Reply #285306 | Report this post

baller  
Years ago

Now shaq was the catalyst behind the lakers forst three peat (their second will be this season) but there is no way he was the catalyst behind the heat winning in 2006!!! He was mearly a very good role player on that team! The only reason the heat won that year was because wade dominated in the those last 4 finals games and shaq was only along for the ride.
Shaq is definatley deminishing his legacy but signing with all these teams (suns, cavs, celtics) and just chasing a ring by being a role player!!

Reply #285312 | Report this post

Beantown  
Years ago

Damn its going to be weird seeing Shaq in green! I think thedoctor is right on the money, LC. He will be very useful to the Celtics to plug the middle while Perkins recovers. As the doctor says, he is a massive upgrade over Shelden Williams.

Sure, I would have liked Varejao or Anthony Randolph or something, but Shaq is not a bad consolation prize.

Offensively, he will be more useful than Perk because he doesn't fumble the ball or get blocked too often. Defensively, yes he sucks compared to Perk because he can't move his feet anymore, but he is still a big body around the rim who will hold people up enough for KG to rotate and give them plenty of grief. He is also another 6 hard fouls off the bench.

At this stage, what I really hope is that this team gets to the playoffs healthy and relatively rested and that a rejuvenated Sheed will dust off his jersey for the post season. He did an awesome job on Gasol in last season's Finals and would have had a much bigger impact if not for his serious back problems.

TR, please no AI or T-Mac, both are washed up and completely useless to the Celtics at this point.

Reply #285330 | Report this post

nickyg  
Years ago

up your ass anon! get a title bitch

Reply #285544 | Report this post

TP  
Years ago

Does anyone know why he's chosen #36? I'm aware that there are not many numbers left for Celtics players these days!

Reply #285570 | Report this post

Juror 12  
Years ago

I'm guessing because all of his others numbers are retired (McHale 32 and Bird 33) or being worn (Pierce 34). Maybe he likes numbers in the 30's. Noting that 31 (Maxwell) and 35 (Lewis) are taken maybe 36 was next one left? He could have gone with his age and worn 39.

Reply #285579 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Shaq's 38 years old. He wore 33 at LSU (in honour of Kareem) but when he was drafted by Orlando in '92 Terry Catledge had 33 and wouldn't give it up so he went with 32. At the Lakers both 33 (Kareem) & 32 (Magic) were retired so went with 34.

In Miami Zo already had 33 so went with 32, in Phoenix his best friend Grant Hill had 33 so again went with 32 and he wore 33 in Cleveland.

Reply #285584 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 7:23 am, Sat 20 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754