ab
Years ago

Coaching appointments

Geoff Whitford (current U16 div 1)has been appointed U18 div 1 boys coach for South next season. Are there many other coaching movements in the 18's for next season?

Topic #23556 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yes there are

Reply #285742 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

where is current south coach going ?
under 23 maybe ?

Reply #285749 | Report this post

eMarkM  
Years ago

Anyone have any news on any other clubs div 1 coaches? Some must have been appointed by now I'd imagine...

Reply #285751 | Report this post

ganymede  
Years ago

Geoff deserves this after the great success he has had with the 16 Boys.

Reply #285756 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Does bottom with 1 win = success???

Reply #285764 | Report this post

dirty  
Years ago

Sturt Boys
12s = ?
14s = Dean Nyberg
16s = Mike C
18s = Nathan Vaughan

Reply #285803 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I'm sorry but that has to be the worst Div 1 boys coaching group at Sturt for a long time.

Reply #285808 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

who is Mike C?

Reply #285810 | Report this post

Crisbus  
Years ago

Chrisan. Ex-Forestville. Believe he assisted a state team this year too?

Inexperienced lineup but 2 of them have Classics medals & state champs & Mike has done well with the div 2s this year.

They're all about the rotation policy & it seems to have worked for them in recent years.

Reply #285814 | Report this post

chad  
Years ago

Anyone know of any U23 appointments?

Reply #285833 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

more importantly will we have enough coaches to handle the number of U23 teams!! Given the U23's was set up to be a pathway to ABL we should expect high quality coaches

Reply #285837 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I think you will find alot of up and coming junior coaches, and former Senior players getting into coaching see U23s as a good opportunity for them to take the next step.

Reply #285842 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Crisbus

they get results because they have the best recruiting officer in the country.

Success at junior level has nothing to do with the ability of a coach. Its completely about the ability of the athlete, in this case the children in the team.

Recruit the best players and success will follow. Sturt don't win because of development, they win because they recruit the best kids.

Reply #285846 | Report this post

chad  
Years ago

'Success at junior level has nothing to do with the ability of a coach. Its completely about the ability of the athlete, in this case the children in the team.'

WOW - are you for real?

Reply #285851 | Report this post

reelhugefish  
Years ago

keep on believing that anon. what a load of crap.

any other clubs coaches announced?

Reply #285852 | Report this post

Tiger Woodduck  
Years ago

Southern Tigers

Boys
U10 Wayne Stringer
U12 Lisa Gill
U14 Greg Olbrich
U16 Ryan Meakin
U18 Leigh Scott

Girls
U10 TBA
U12 Ray Wickstein
U14 TBA
U16 Brenton Davies
U18 Boti Nagy

I think there still looking to fill the TBA roles?

Reply #285861 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

OK it was an exaggeration but I still believe the point I'm making.

Vicki Valk won a WNBL title. I think would make a better coach then she is.

She won because she had the best players not because she was a good coach or because she developed them.

I think there are examples of a good coach being able to beat a better team by out coaching their opposition.

But when you talk about success of the level of Sturt or Forestville girls then I believe that has more to do with the players they recruit to the club (from school ball, off the street, country areas as well as other clubs) and less to do with their coaches being any better then another clubs.

Reply #285863 | Report this post

Europa 62  
Years ago

I'm pretty sure Norwood's under 12's recruited pretty hard this year but they didnt do well when it came classics time, shouldnt they have done well if they went out and recruited the best kids?

Reply #285864 | Report this post

Hydra 12  
Years ago

I'm sure thats why Sturt have done so well in interstate tournaments. And why so many of their players have made it at national and internationals level.

I'm sure that the world over, coaching isnt all that necessary and shouldn't be bothered with. We should just all go out and run up and down and its only up to the players inate ability.

No need to teach man to man, pivots, non-preffered skills etc, it can only coe naturally.

Yes some groups of players learn quicker or better than others, some individuals improve more because they have a greater ability.

But plenty of players have improved after receiving better coaching. And that is why Sturt try to give their players the necessary skills to leave the club and move onto the AIS, College or National league even though the club may go without their service.

Reply #285870 | Report this post

hanging round  
Years ago

As much as I 'dislike' Sturt, you have to admire their structure and success over a continued period of time. They must be doing something right.
I know all of the poaching stories and SASI & State favourtism, but they have the score on the board.
Comments such as "the worst coaching group for a long time" before the current season has ended, is an ambitious statement without giving the group a chance.
Let's bash Sturt if / when they go downhill with these bad coaches, who would be on massive wages- LOL

Reply #285872 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

The recent U14 girls SASI intake only 2 were sturt girls - so where is the favoritism there, the kids are chosen by NG he plays no favourites if the kids are good by his standards they get a go if not they dont. Simple as that.

Reply #285878 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

or maybe he's been told to broaden his horizons

Reply #285883 | Report this post

Charon 35  
Years ago

Sturt look to have 2 State assistant coaches with a classics medalist. and with their div coaches probably being better than most clubs div 1 coaches, I for 1 am sure that they will do quite well.

What other clubs will have as many succesful coaches in place?

Reply #285916 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

if you have cows you get milk. Sturt is the premium club and attracts the best players. Most div 1 coaches would get results if they had the breeding stock sturt has.The boy's club headquarters is at sturt and that has more to do with its success.

Reply #285920 | Report this post

Charon 35  
Years ago

I guess that they find these boys out on the trees in the backyard. And that they dont develop any skills.

Keep pushing that line, and I agree, your best kids will come to Sturt. Not because of anything but the fact that you obviously dont believe in skills development and the best kids want and need it.

Reply #285927 | Report this post

It really simple people, if you provide a good service to players, they won't leave. I certainly wouldn’t pay upward of $1000 a year for my child to be taught by someone who clearly is not up to the standard of coaching Div 1 - would you? Can you really blame players and parents for wanting to be in a basketball education environment?
It astounds me that unsuccessful clubs continue to blame successful clubs for poaching their players. Stop sooking and take some action and stop allowing clearly unsuitable coaches to coach juniors. Does your club have a junior basketball manager who is empowered to make basketball decisions? If not, why?
While non basketball people keep making basketball decisions your clubs basketball program will never improve.
What is your club doing to develop their coaches to develop their players? Help educate the coaches so they are better equipped to teach their players.
or

Reply #285939 | Report this post

westies  
Years ago

West Girls coaches may look like this...

U10 - Jodie Bell
U12 - Alice Gee
U14 - Mike Kazamoir
U16 - Corey Maclean
U18 - Jason Champion

Reply #285970 | Report this post

Emad  
Years ago

Who will be coaching at Norwood and North next season?

Reply #286044 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Is there a vacancy for Norwood's U12 Boys 1 coach given there lack of development versus other clubs???

Reply #286067 | Report this post

triton12  
Years ago

I'll answer your question, even though I know you were just trying to be smart, and didn't really want to know.

There are big changes to Norwood's Div 1 line-up on the boy's side. All filled though, so no vacancy.

Reply #286087 | Report this post

Cheezees  
Years ago

What are some of the changes you speak of?

Reply #286090 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

triton - I am smart - pity I can't debate this you at the next MENSA meeting!!!

Reply #286091 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Whos doing the under 23s coaching jobs at all the clubs ?
any appointments yet?

Reply #286093 | Report this post

pallas19  
Years ago

I don't see U23 being an overly desirable job. I don't expect there'd be a queue of quality junior coaches lining up for it. Probably the same sorts of people who do reserves.

Reply #286094 | Report this post

Hanging Round  
Years ago

It was a bit disappointing to hear that a very qualified coach took his son from 1 club to another 'only' because his son wanted to be part of his dad's club 'culture'. This was understandable, but said father was offered the opportunity to coach his own son, but declined because it was not deemed to be in best interest of the child.
After moving and taking players, why is he now waiting to see which team his son is selected in, so that he can coach this team???

Reply #286125 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Sounds like double dutch to me what club?

Reply #286128 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I think Hanging Round is trying to in"flame" the current situation.

Reply #286141 | Report this post

';'  
Years ago

Boti doing Under 23 girls at Southern

Reply #286217 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

217, you mean coaching the U23 girls....................

Reply #286222 | Report this post

Shafeeq  
Years ago

have heard a couple of interesting rumours about some coaches for the north/eastern suburb teams. anyone have any information on who has been appointed?

Reply #286224 | Report this post

Guidance Please  
Years ago

well how about sharing your rumours Shafeeq

Reply #286227 | Report this post

Shafeeq  
Years ago

i dont really want to start anything when these rumours might not be true. id just like to hear what is actually happening at those clubs.

Reply #286242 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I guess we all have to wait then

Reply #286246 | Report this post

chad  
Years ago

Shafeeq... This whole website is rumours brother! Just spill the beans...

Reply #286258 | Report this post

Shafeeq  
Years ago

well i heard at norwood sapwell might coach 14 1s to do his own kid and i heard an ex sturt coach will do 16s but i dont know who.

can anyone shed some light?

Reply #286270 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

how many U12 D1 boys do you expect to go through to Norwoods U 14 D1's

Reply #286273 | Report this post

ganymede  
Years ago

shafeeq - wrong about sapwell, right about the ex-sturt coach

Reply #286277 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Cmon whose the ex-sturt coach - has he flown the coup this year? coaching girls or boys??

Reply #286279 | Report this post

Shafeeq  
Years ago

who is the ex sturt coach though? is he well known/recent? and who is doing the 14 1s then?

Reply #286280 | Report this post

Triton 45  
Years ago

Hasn't coached at sturt for a while but had been around as a parent.

Reply #286281 | Report this post

ganymede  
Years ago

Triton is (w)right.

Reply #286290 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Interesting gather thats the boys hes doing

Reply #286292 | Report this post

Shafeeq  
Years ago

ah i get it!

so who is doing 14 boys if sapwell isnt?

Reply #286299 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Norwood 14 girls I would think Phil and his daughter still plays at Sturt

Reply #286302 | Report this post

mimas  
Years ago

Norwood 18 Boys & Girls: Berry & Schroeder

Reply #286305 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

sapwellnot doing ABA?

Reply #286329 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

ive heard sum movement at centrals. maybe a new 16 div 1 coach....?

Reply #286330 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

how many teams will centrals have for summer - do they need U14 players

Reply #286331 | Report this post

Archer  
Years ago

Centrals will announce their Div 1 coaches soon.

Players are always welcome at the Club, especially those from the northern country areas, those residing in the northern suburbs, and those willing to take their basketball to district level. The sign on day is Sunday August 29 at STARplex and if you have an inquiry, just contact either one of the coaching directors.

Girls Coaching Director
Trudy Ireland M: 0428 859 069

Boys Coaching Director
Andrew Jantke M:0410 759 280

Reply #286345 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I mean I am not going to waste $50 pursuing a change to another district club if you have a div 1 team and a div 5 team like this year.

Reply #286349 | Report this post

Dankness  
Years ago

Any word on Sturts div 2 coaches on the boys side & any of their girls coaches?

Reply #286365 | Report this post

Shotclock  
Years ago

Archer ,Centrals should/need to put a post for appointments instead of deep inside a others post?Just some advice for free?

Reply #286519 | Report this post

John  
Years ago

Given Norwood's recruiting for Under 12 this year it appears that they are going backwards results wise. Every result is getting closer.....

Reply #286744 | Report this post

j  
Years ago

Anyone know whos got the u/23s gig at west????

Reply #286852 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

j, it will be a magic coach!

Reply #286858 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I might give the trials a miss then!!!

Reply #286863 | Report this post

j  
Years ago

He means the coach is magic
not hes from magic

Reply #286865 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Ahhhh - that's better

Reply #286867 | Report this post

Info  
Years ago

Shotclock, if you (or anyone) is interested in any of the Lions coaching appointments for 2010/11 feel free to email [email protected].

Reply #286868 | Report this post

Juno 36  
Years ago

West and Magic seem to be going along nicely with good mix of magic coaches involved Well done West. Getting experience on board as well as open hand

Reply #287225 | Report this post

Shotclock  
Years ago

the spirit of co-operation is what is to be emphasised for BOTH clubs, finding a way thru perceived obstacles and working together to benefit ALL kids wanting to play district basketball in western suburbs

Reply #287230 | Report this post

young smart arse  
Years ago

here is hoping if this happens woodville can dissolve and it will make things easier for the western suburbs (no offence to woodville)

Reply #287232 | Report this post

WestBearcub  
Years ago

come on people who is coaching u23 someone must know something

Reply #287233 | Report this post

Juno 36  
Years ago

Spadge keen at west big tip

Reply #287396 | Report this post

WestBearcub  
Years ago

Juno 36: who is Spadge???

Reply #287512 | Report this post

mmm  
Years ago

I think most clubs would have one of the ABL ass. coaches doing the job, That would be the smart thing to do so they could get feed back....

Reply #287516 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Can someone please tell me who the u12's norwood div 1 boys recruited this year. Not seeing this??

Reply #287664 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Any know the Forestville Div 1 coaches yet?

Reply #289076 | Report this post

it is time  
Years ago

RIP Tigers

When you have to appoint 13y grade 7 kids as coaches, and dont see any problems with it.......
enough said

Reply #290976 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

last post

what team are they coaching, if its under 10's dont see a problem with it, and good on the 13 year old for putting his/her hand up to do it, maybe if some older people did, rather than spending all day on here bagging clubs and people, clubs wouldn't need young kids to coach.

Reply #291181 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

On a similar topic do many clubs have younger coaches coming through the ranks?

Reply #291185 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Are there any actual lists of who is coaching what? Can someone put together what they know? Especially from the Northern clubs.

Reply #291188 | Report this post

Dallas  
Years ago

Most clubs have a list on their websites. If you look at the squad lists, the head coach is usually listed there.

Reply #291202 | Report this post

right on  
Years ago

RIP Tigers, i dont think so. More teams means more coaches required, all sides struggle for coaches div2 and under, good on them for having foresight and having a go.

Reply #291308 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Heard on the grape vine that Melb Tigers U14 (national champs, classic and Vic champs) head and assistant choaches have not been offered positions to coach next season.Seems success is not all about winning.

Reply #291370 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Not but it sure feels good when you do!!!

Reply #291525 | Report this post

Michael  
Years ago

Norwood has appointed Kahli Burns U14 Div 1 coach due to her great season last year.

Reply #292031 | Report this post

ariel79  
Years ago

#031 - Makes sense, she won State Champs with the U12s last season. A great effort for a relatively unproven coach. Good luck to her, I'm sure she'll do a great job.

Reply #292044 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 5:13 pm, Tue 23 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754