vnbozza
Years ago

Rule Check

Hey All

Heard a call last at social ball that I haven't ever heard before - an offensive player cannot leave the court to evade an defender.

We had a player cutting baseline and stepped out of court to avoid the defensive zone and got the call against him.

Is this a rule? If so, I have been getting away with it for 20 years!

Topic #23565 | Report this topic

lol  
Years ago

Just curious, was that at Marion because I got the same call not long ago from this old dude and thought 'WTF is he on about', may be a rule though.

Reply #285822 | Report this post

vnbozza  
Years ago

Nope - was at Pasadena - but definitely the oldest ump out there, and he has been around the place and different stadiums for a while.

Reply #285825 | Report this post

SRT070  
Years ago

Im not the best person to ask about rules as im not 100% sure myself but if it is a rule it does make sense imho. otherwise teams would utilise the out of bound regions alot more id guess.

Reply #285830 | Report this post

wd  
Years ago

I have one too.

Player A gets fouled in the act of shooting that results in two shots. Before he shoots the foul shots Player A receives a unsportsman like foul that causes him to have 5 fouls.

Question: Does he get to shoot the free throws and then must sub out due to 5 fouls or should he be subbed out before free throws?

I argued the point but happy to renig on that and apologise if I'm wrong. However I thought that because the foul occurred before the shots that he would shoot them and then be immediately ordered off the court by the refs.

Reply #285831 | Report this post

The Banker  
Years ago

I have had that called during my playing time on me twice and as far i am aware it is an actually rule because you are using the illegal area outisde the court to your advatnage

You must stay with in the boundry of the court if u want to be an impact in the game.

For an umpire to have called it tho it must have given the offensive player a major advantage tho

Reply #285835 | Report this post

Big Sexy  
Years ago

The first rule exists to stop players standing outside the key on the baseline and jumping into the key without getting a 3 second call

Reply #285836 | Report this post

try it  
Years ago

tech foul if you are deliberately playing out of court

Reply #285839 | Report this post

2Count  
Years ago

"Player A gets fouled in the act of shooting that results in two shots. Before he shoots the foul shots Player A receives a unsportsman like foul that causes him to have 5 fouls.

Question: Does he get to shoot the free throws and then must sub out due to 5 fouls or should he be subbed out before free throws?"

Once a player is fouled out, they are out of the game, regardless of whether they have shots or not. The substitute must take the shots.

Reply #285840 | Report this post

try it  
Years ago

wd -

Player A gets fouled in the act of shooting that results in two shots. Before he shoots the foul shots Player A receives a unsportsman like foul that causes him to have 5 fouls.

Question: Does he get to shoot the free throws and then must sub out due to 5 fouls or should he be subbed out before free throws?

no he does not get 2 free throws - the queation is - should it not be a tech foul as the play is dead from the first call? even if it is a push etc?

player fouled out leaves the court and the team can pick their shooter. then the other team has 2 shots and possession.

if it had been 2 unsportsmanlikes the shots and possessions rule each other out and it would be a side ball for the defensive team (last call)

Reply #285841 | Report this post

2Count  
Years ago

"the queation is - should it not be a tech foul as the play is dead from the first call? even if it is a push etc?"

Technical Fouls are only called when the infringement doesn't involve physical contact.

Unsportsmanlike Fouls can be called in dead ball situations.

Reply #285843 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If nothing else this thread explains why people abuse referees.

No one knows the rules.

Reply #285845 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

vnbozza my mate got that call at pasadena from probably that same ref about 5yrs ago. we were all confused and he refused to explain the rule. odd to say the least

Reply #285850 | Report this post

Sebastian  
Years ago

It used to be a rule but im pretty sure it has been taken out of the rule book

Reply #285853 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

it is only illegal if you set a screen out of court, you are aloud to cut along the baseline if required.

Reply #285856 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

856's right; ref's wrong.

Reply #285860 | Report this post

young smart arse  
Years ago

You have to stay within the boundaries of the court if you take a step out of court to receive an advantage i.e cut along the baseline and out the court is a violation you receive a warning and then a tech foul if you do it again.

"Player A gets fouled in the act of shooting that results in two shots. Before he shoots the foul shots Player A receives a unsportsman like foul that causes him to have 5 fouls.
Question: Does he get to shoot the free throws and then must sub out due to 5 fouls or should he be subbed out before free throws?"

Answer: Both foul shots are cancelled and then its teams B ball from the half way line because of the unsportsmanlike

Reply #285867 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I had one where a guy dived to save the ball from going out and threw the ball off the other teams player and went out off them, and the umpire then said that the ball hit him too high so was their ball...

Reply #285868 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I once subbed 5 players off the court and the umpire told me I could not. I have never heard of this rule either.

Reply #285871 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

In my early days of refereeing I was doing a high school game when a player got fouled whilst shooting the ball, and the shot went in. I called a foul and then cancelled the basket and gave two shots, the team wasn't in foul trouble so I should have counted the basket and given just the one bonus. Coach couldn't work out what I was doing, and I had no idea either! Always look back and laugh now, but was rather embarrassing at the time!

Reply #285876 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

What does the team being in foul trouble have to do with it? Fouled while shooting and make the shot = points good, and one bonus. The number of fouls the team is on should have nothing to do with it!

Reply #285882 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Thank you #882 i am aware of that. I was simply clarifying the point of not giving 2 free throws as a result of people possibly thinking that it was not called as a shooting foul. I apologise for confusing the point.

Reply #285888 | Report this post

try it  
Years ago

young smart arse - the penalties only rule each other out if they are identical - so the penatly for one is only 2 shots and the other 2 shots and possession - not identical.

Reply #285892 | Report this post

Melvin Corpuscle  
Years ago

thought this sounded familiar !!

http://www.hoops.com.au/forum/21501-violation-clarification/

Reply #285897 | Report this post

Sebastian  
Years ago

If you search the current rules for:
Violations - special situations
Leaving the court to gain anadvantage etc etc

The rule is no longer in the rule book.

And to anonymous #856 Please show me A) where is says it is illegal to set a screen outside of the court in the rule book and B) who the hell would do it?

Reply #285972 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Is there a rule stating where the bench players must be located in relation to the court?

Reply #285974 | Report this post

Sebastian  
Years ago

The bench area which is clearly defined

Reply #285977 | Report this post

Bruce  
Years ago

Regarding the 5th foul unsportsmanlike: penalties are awarded in the order in which they occurred. When the fouled out player was awarded the penalty of 2 free throws he only had 4 fouls. So, he can take his 2 shots then piss off to the bench for being naughty.

Reply #285978 | Report this post

Sebastian  
Years ago

You have to stay within the boundaries of the court if you take a step out of court to receive an advantage i.e cut along the baseline and out the court is a violation you receive a warning and then a tech foul if you do it again.

Answer: Both foul shots are cancelled and then its teams B ball from the half way line because of the unsportsmanlike

Answer is incorrect as previously stated only like penalties can be cancelled.

The order in which they occur applies thus Player A fouls out before he gets to take the two initial free throws thus the subsitute will take his free throws.

Reply #285982 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

handing checking is legal in womens aba right?

Reply #286062 | Report this post

FM  
Years ago

Correct sebastian on both

In social though a tech isn't going to mean anything to the players, a quick violation call is probably the better game management option although not technically correct.

Reply #286082 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 9:31 am, Wed 24 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754