Favourite Team or Fan of the Game?

As most Australian's who follow the NBA have no local ties or allegiances to NBA cities, I'm interested to find out whether most Australian based NBA supporters have a favourite team or are just fans of the game who enjoy watching good basketball.

If you have a favourite team, I'd love to hear why you support that particular team over others.

If you are a general follower of the game, I'd love to hear why you haven't picked a single team to support.

As a general supporter of the game myself, I'm interested to see if the level of enjoyment in watching a game is affected by this. I sometimes wish I had a single team to root for to add that extra passion created by having a vested interest in the outcome.

Let me know your thoughts.

Topic #23585 | Report this topic

Libertine  
Years ago

I just love watching the game and follow certain players. When I was developing my love for basketball growing up I played alot of "Lakers vs Celtics" and subsequently became a Lakers fan. However, as I've got older I always have a look out for their results, but I don't support them as such. I love watching great offensive teams (ie the D'Antoni Suns).

Reply #286167 | Report this post

@Libertine - So you will probably love watching Miami this year then?

Reply #286170 | Report this post

DB5  
Years ago

Bulls all the way.
Followed them since 1988. Had a mate who loved the Pistons, and hated the Bulls, so I went for them to piss him off ha ha.

Then I saw Come Fly With Me, and I was hooked.

Has really sucked to be a Bulls fan since '98 though, this is the year of change...(please)...

Reply #286172 | Report this post

No Deal!!  
Years ago

I follow the Houston Rockets, simply because I was a huge fan of Hakeem Olajuwon. I jumped on the Olajuwon/Rockets bandwagon when i was a kid and have yet to fall off! haha!

Reply #286173 | Report this post

@DB5 - Nice reasoning behind your pick.

The Bulls look good this year. They picked up the perfect players to fit around their core and with the defensive schemes Tom will bring with him from Boston, they are definitely a team to watch this year. They won't win the East, but could give teams like Orlando, Boston and Miami a run for their money.

Reply #286174 | Report this post

@No Deal - Olajuwon is the most multi-faceted Center to ever play the game and I loved watching him play on both ends of the court. I get laughed at for saying this, but if I was choosing an all-time starting 5, I would take him as my center.

This year, the Rockets success will depend completely on Yao's feet.

Reply #286175 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

Im a loyal Jazz fan.
Went to Utah twice in the past 5 years, and loved the place. Nice people and a good city.
Also, I love Deron Williams too. He is amazing.

Reply #286176 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

Oops, meant to say Salt Lake was a great city. SL is the main city of Utah

Reply #286177 | Report this post

AK-47  
Years ago

Also a jazz fan, grew up wearing stockton and malone jerseys and sorta stuck from there. Enjoy watching any teams play but it will always be the Jazz for me!

Reply #286179 | Report this post

@Macdub & AK-47 - The Jazz are a good club though seem to have taken a step back this year. I can't see them competing with the big boys in the West anymore.

Do you enjoy watching a Jazz game more than others? Does following a specific team make the experience more enjoyable for you?

Reply #286186 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

I loved the Knicks growing up, but they have sucked for years now and I have since lost interest in them. I just follow the game now.

Reply #286195 | Report this post

TR  
Years ago

Charlotte Bobcats for me... There are about 6 supporters in Australia.

All started with the Hornets the smallest pg in the league and the first pick in the 1991 draft. Mugsy and LJ. Things got better when Zo came along. They were on the way to being contenders.

Then Shinn came along and they chance of being contenders vanished. I hope that man chokes on his own turd...

Charlotte still holds the NBA record for the most consecutive sell outs.

Another reason why I choose the old Hornets was I was sick of the Chicago / Lakers nut riders. Sick of people only knowing MJ and Pip, but had no idea who Bill Wennington, BJ Armstrong, Craig Hodges etc etc.

Now my alliance stayed with the Bobcats due to Shinn's screwjob and what could of been. MJ needs to reclaim the 'hornets' name from Orleans. Crash is a stud.

The front office this year has tested my loyalty. No happy with the off season so far.

Reply #286196 | Report this post

@TR - I'm amazed there are 6 of you. It will be a painful season ahead for all of you.

Reply #286199 | Report this post

vanexel31  
Years ago

was a mad Lakers fan growing up in era after Magic retired and everybody jumped off the bandwagon. Became a huge Nick Van Exel fan, but stopped going for the Lakers in 1999. I grew tired of trades and player movement, my favourite all time team the Lakers 1996 (Eddie Jones, NVE, Ced Ceballos, Elden Campbell, Vlade and Magic) every player from that team was gone by 1999. In 3 years an entire roster was replaced (coach also) so I decided to go for whatever team Nick Van Exel played for. I now dont follow a team but still like watching certain players and teams.

Reply #286203 | Report this post

mystro  
Years ago

Always been a Magic fan since before Shaq and Penny Hardaway. One day they might get a title lol.
I have also always supported Charlotte or Miami as long as they weren't playing Orlando.
These days I more follow certain players than a team a support any Team playing against the Lakers.

Reply #286211 | Report this post

TR  
Years ago

It's going to be a long season for the Cats. Hopefully Capt Jack and Crash play out of their skins and Boris Diaw has lost his mangina which he developed last season.

Losing Felton hurt and I won't bother to mention the Dampier trade....

Reply #286231 | Report this post

@TR - Diaw has always had a mangina. If you are relying on consistent, great play from Crash and Jack, then you are in BIG trouble. At least you got Dampier. Oh, wait...

Reply #286236 | Report this post

TR  
Years ago

Screw Dampier when we already have the offensive juggernauts Diop and Nazr. The Cats still lack a decent 1, 4 and 5. I'm more than happy to run all day with Capt Jack (the good version, not the jack it up every opportunity Jax) and Crash.

Why oh why did the Cats pick DJ over Lopez and draft the muppet Morrison (the muppet has 2 ship rings which pisses me off no end).. The Cats can't draft for sh*t. Not one of their picks have developed into anything more than average, and I'm being generous in some examples.

Reply #286289 | Report this post

TR  
Years ago

Before last season, Diaw's mangina was pretty tight and only showed every now and then. Last season it became so loose and out there he should of changed his name to Jenna Jamison...

Reply #286294 | Report this post

DB5  
Years ago

MJ really needs to do the deal of the century, or one of the most one sided trades possible (in the Cats favour for once). He really is starting to fall into the Clippers school of drafting duds..

Reply #286340 | Report this post

TR  
Years ago

MJ can't draft for sh*t, but I think he knows how to play the trade game. I was crying when this didn't occur, but for a long time it looked legit and other moves were made by the Cats to make this look legit.

Around the Dampier trade time there was a bit of talk of MJ trading for CP3 and Melo.

The rumour was that Dallas had been pestering NO about trading Dampier, Carroll, Najera and picks for CP3. NO kept on declining and his was during Bower's time.

About this time the Bobcats were looking at trading Boris Diaw to the Raps for Calderon. The trade was pretty much a deal done, but Jordan at the last moment voided the trade (for reasons unknown at this time).

The rumour was that the Cats heard early that Bower was going to be sacked and that CP3 could be available (and Shinn is a w@nker). The biggest fear was that if CP3 was available, Dallas and the Dampier contract would be prime candidates and they would probably make the deal. Part of the deal for CP3 was that Emeka Okafor was going with him, but NO was willing to make 2 deals to get it done. To get Dallas out of the picture, the Cats traded for the exact package that Dallas had been offering NO.

Trade 1: Erick Dampier for Chris Paul
Trade 2: DJ Augustin, Gerald Henderson, Nazr Mohammad, unprotected 1st round pick, 2nd round pick for Emeka Okafor

This was the same time that CP3 was making some noise about moving on.

The next step was that IF the trade was going down, the Bobcats were then going to go hard for Melo and offer a deal the Nugs couldn't refuse as Melo would of refused to sign his extension (he still hasn't re-signed) and request to be traded to Charlotte. CP3 and Melo have stated that they want to play together, and both are members of Team Jordan. The extra money earnt by the franchise by adding CP3 and Melo was enough incentive for MJ to take a lux tax hit.

Charlotte was prepared to offer the Nugs, Gerald Wallace, Boris Diaw, right to switch 1st round picks in a future draft and a future 2nd round pick for Melo. An All-Star, and decent poing forward, a potential mid teens, early 20's pick and a future pick isn't that shabby of a deal.

This rumour started floating around on a Monday night. On the Tuesday, the Cats/Mavs deal got done. The very next day (Wednesday), Bower was indeed sacked, the Hornets re-neg on the Luther Head deal (possibly thinking of the extra players about to arrive) and the Bobcats signed Shaun Livingston (possibly knowing/believing that they were losing DJ Augustine).

Even now, it's unclear why the Cats really wanted Dampier, I feel Chandler (when healthy) is a better fit for the Cats, plus was already an expiring $12 mill contract, so it didn't really make sense to make that trade unless they believed they could of flipped it to NO for CP3.

This story is one of my favourite bobcats 'legends'. The day where the Cats nearly got 2 All Stars...

Reply #286359 | Report this post

DB5  
Years ago

lol. TR don't go emo on us over that missed trade.

I remember you hinting something big was going to happen a month or so ago. Still time at least for them to do something.

Reply #286361 | Report this post

TR  
Years ago

Don't worry about me turning emo......

oh wait.... there is a razor blade on the ground...

let me fall on it.....

Reply #286363 | Report this post

DB5  
Years ago

and I thought Canberra was clean and tidy...

Reply #286366 | Report this post

Murray  
Years ago

No Buck$ fans?? Surly everyone was proud to see AB make the all-third!! The man is a monster, double double year awaits. 2.5 blocks cmonnnn no love for the bucks?? Its good to see underdogs get up for me, last year the bucks were up there for the best team after all-star break and untill the break of boguts arm were gonna shake up alot things in the east...That one game AB dunked on Baby was simply gold.. if ur read the history bucks were one team boston didnt wanna face fully fit in the playoff..again everyone sleeps on the bucks, but this year they look so much stronger and with anderew, drew, corey, john and brandon and mad depth on the bench...look out MIAMI. cant wait for this year...chicago fans make me laugh..bring on the hate.

Reply #286400 | Report this post

DB5  
Years ago

Bogut is good, but it is still the Bucks, no way can I go for them.

chicago fans make me laugh.

Okay, happy to help...but why do they make you laugh?

Reply #286441 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 1:44 am, Wed 24 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754