Tip for the Kids

As I do most weeks, I spent the majority of my weekend shooting (hoops, not guns) at a local park, but this weekend was different.
I finally realised what it is which has caused me to become increasingly frustrated when I watch young kids come by and play.

Every single kid who came by spent all of their time jacking up threes and long shots! From about 8 years of age up to people in their twenties, everyone took more threes than from any other point on the court.

No-one practised their free throws. No-one took shots from around the key. Every single kid or young adult who came by shot three after three.

I understand that some people just play for fun, but I see this when I scrimmage with adults and play at the rec centers also. It is a bad habit these young adults developed when they were children and continues with them today.

Don't get me wrong, I understand the appeal and joy of nailing a three, but this is not the way anyone, and especially not children, should be developing their games.

Kids - the better you become at basketball, the more fun it becomes. If all you can do is shoot threes, you are limiting the amount of fun and joy basketball will bring you. By all means shoot threes and work on that aspect of your game, but start from in close and work your way out. Make 10 shots from either side of the rim to start. Take two steps back and do the same. Take some shots from around the key, shoot some free throws and gradually work your way out. This will help in two ways:

1. It will develop your inside game and mid-range stroke, making you a more dangerous offensive player

2. It will get you in a rhythm so that your threes will feel more natural and comfortable when you do eventually get out to that range.

When I see people spend most of their time shooting threes, I know they are not serious about basketball and will probably not be a good player. I love guarding these people as I know that if I stick close and don't give them the shot, they will be taken out of the game.
When I see someone systematically taking shots from spots around the key or working on their inside game, I know they are serious and will probably have some game. I hate guarding these players as I don't know what moves they've been working on and will be practising on me.

Next time you walk on to a court, think about what type of player you want to be before launching that first three.

Topic #23589 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

daddy I want to dunk as well

Reply #286201 | Report this post

Wayne  
Years ago

Years ago all it was Jordan flips over heads.

Never saw a normal lay up

Reply #286214 | Report this post

Moses Guthrie  
Years ago

Agree, agree, agree. And get yourself a copy of Larry Bird's basketball fundamentals video and learn from Red Auerbach, Jerry Sichting and the Celts. Fundamentals are fundamentals. Remember all you're trying to do is put a round ball in the hole more times than the other guy.

Reply #286296 | Report this post

Incorrect Moses. If you shoot 3's and the other team shoots 2's you only have to put the round ball in the hole 67% of the number of times the other team does. That's why we are all practicing our threes.

Reply #286306 | Report this post

Juror 12  
Years ago

Haha - Moses, the kid's got a point!

Reply #286336 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If we are talking Larry Bird he has a famous quote when questionned on his game where he dropped 30+ points. He responded by saying it is not the person who scores the points but it is the person who gets the ball to the scorer so he can score.

So I suggest all you kids get rid of your basketball rings and focus on passing!!

Reply #286348 | Report this post

TC2  
Years ago

And stay away from Ernie Dingo!

Reply #286372 | Report this post

Moses Guthrie  
Years ago

Hey, kid shooting threes - they're the words of Red Auerbach, not me. And yes he's dead but regardless, I'm not gonna argue with him.

I do like the maths argument though. Maths - it makes the world go around. When you're not practicing your fundamentals kids, practice maths.

Reply #286398 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 1:48 am, Sat 30 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754