Jacko
Years ago

VIS Basketball.

nearly every state has a academy off sport with a basketball sector so to speak so why does Victoria not have one at the VIS?

Topic #23593 | Report this topic

LC  
Years ago

Not a bad question to ask I guess and I'm not really sure what the answer is. However I would assume that the high quality of their rep-ball programs and associated state level competition would have something to do with it?

Reply #286215 | Report this post

Astor  
Years ago

The ITC program takes a much larger role in Victorian basketball then it does in other states I think.

Correct me if I am wrong, but Victoria's ITC program is unique in that it involves two weekly trainings for 7-8 months of the year.

So I hesitantly conclude ITC is effectively a replacement for VIS? There would be no point in having athletes attend their club trainings, state trainings, school trainings, ITC trainings AND then expect them to be enthusiastic about another separate elite training program. There's just no room for it.

Reply #286245 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

You make a very good point Astor, the VIC ITC program run two training sessions a week for the most part of the year.

Reply #286263 | Report this post

In the Know  
Years ago

yes but the good players arent associated with the VIC ITC program.
The VIC ITC program is just a way for coaches to poach players from other associations.
Why do you think al the good players change teams and go to other clubs, because they are being coached by them in the VIC ITC Program, and then get poached because the parents get told it will be beter for them if they go to another club, that is coached by a VIC ITC coach.

I reckon if you did a study on how many of the VIC u/18 players are actually in the VIC ITC Program and the numbers wouldnt be very large.

Reply #286344 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"In the Know" - clearly you don't know. The U18 Vic Metro Mens team had all 10 players, and all 5 emergencies in the ITC program that runs out of Waverley.

It has had a bad rap in years gone by, but I can honestly say I don't know of any ITC coaches that try to poach kids. The bigger issue is coaches ringing players at home trying to poach kids in 12's and 14's, where ITC doesn't even run yet.

Reply #286370 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

also the Vic Country ITC program selects 40 of the best males and 40 best females aged 14-17 and they have 3 live-in weekend camps during the year and at least once a week training session in their region

Reply #286392 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Absolutely spot on 286370... Vic itc Who formerly did this sort of thing are no longer involved. Today's coaches are well behaved!

The biggest problem is based around the 'supposed' state team that is the vpssa school team.

Reply #286521 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

286521 Are you talking about the girls or boys team and what is the issue?

I saw the girls list and was surprised at the team. But they did win it!

Reply #286526 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Nothing wrong with the selection of players, would never question or have a crack about u13 players. Have a look at recent history of that team and you will see a lot of those players end up moving associations the next season.

Reply #286528 | Report this post

SixerFan  
Years ago

Here here, massive issues in recent times of a club in melbourne who wear red and yellow who recruit heavily from VPSSA team to join their "amazing development program"...

Reply #286547 | Report this post

Astor  
Years ago

*red, yellow and black.
;)

Reply #286553 | Report this post

JV Hoops  
Years ago

The VJBL has proposed a cap on the number of players a club can accept through the clearance process.

It is proposed that for a team ranked in Victorian Junior League 3 or above (I think that makes it the top 80 or so) is limited to accepting 2 players that require a clearance.

This might shake up the 'poaching' issue, as 'foreign' players are now competing for 2 spots, not 10.

Reply #286588 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Won't ever happen, the VJBL make $20 or so per clearance - the more players that shift clubs, the more money that goes into their pockets. Makes you curious as to what that money goes back into though?

Besides, if that went through, a certain Albert Park based club would have to start relying on their domestic program and junior development, and we are all aware that's not going to occur.

Reply #286598 | Report this post

JV Hoops  
Years ago

Anonymous, VJBL will have to start looking for new income streams.

The motion to cap clearances was passed tonight at the VJBL delegates meeting 63-11.

Reply #286958 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

That is a landmark decision, and one that will surely mean that the Melbourne Tigers will have to either entice the majority of players from other domestic programs to their club at U12 level or finally look at running thier own domestic feeder program like pretty much every other Association already does.

Huge margin in the voting - it was not even close.

Reply #286964 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So how does it work? Clubs can only accept 2 new players in the whole club, age group, gender? What is the rule exactly.

Reply #286967 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Check out Reply #286588...

Reply #286968 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So say for example, a club has 3 teams ranked in the top 80. Does this mean that they can accept 6 new players, but only 2 can play in each of the 3 teams?

Reply #286969 | Report this post

JV Hoops  
Years ago

Anonymous, That is correct re: 6 players over three teams

Reply #286975 | Report this post

Where can you see the minutes from the VJBL delegates meeting 63-11 ?

Reply #287618 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

What would be the causes for an exemption to be granted? I can't honestly think of any that would be passed?

Reply #287641 | Report this post

When will this new rule be enforced from ?

What happens if a family moves from the Frankston area to near Keilor - could this rule stop a kid from playing rep ball even if the new club wants the player .......?

Reply #287642 | Report this post

JV Hoops  
Years ago

The exemptions that were mentioned included (but are not limited to) where a player has come from another club which is unable to provide a team in that age group and the moving into different areas, where it would be impossible for that player to continue with their current club. The VJBL has indicated that the exemption clause will be used in the event that preventing a clearance would deny a player a chance to play rep ball.

The new clearance form has the following:

Previous Association must sign the Required or Non Required Player Box. A required player is someone who has a spot in a team and is clearing to another association at their own choice. A Non required player is someone who has been given a clearance as there is no team to play in. Example (Team Withdrawn, Team Not Entered) Please note that under special circumstances this rule will be relaxed if the VJBL deems it necessary

Reply #287857 | Report this post

JV Hoops  
Years ago

The exemptions that were mentioned included (but are not limited to) where a player has come from another club which is unable to provide a team in that age group and the moving into different areas, where it would be impossible for that player to continue with their current club. The VJBL has indicated that the exemption clause will be used in the event that preventing a clearance would deny a player a chance to play rep ball.

The new clearance form has the following:

Previous Association must sign the Required or Non Required Player Box. A required player is someone who has a spot in a team and is clearing to another association at their own choice. A Non required player is someone who has been given a clearance as there is no team to play in. Example (Team Withdrawn, Team Not Entered) Please note that under special circumstances this rule will be relaxed if the VJBL deems it necessary

Reply #287858 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So as an example, say a kid from Cranbourne (just picking a smaller association) wants to shift to Dandenong so he can play in VC. The kid is a VC player, but Cranbourne can't provide them with a VC level team, and would only qualify in League 2 or 3.

Is there any rule in place to allow this player to move, without them qualifying as 1 of the 2 "cleared" players?

I agree with above, you need to allow for kids who have shifted location, and allow for kids that don't have a game anymore. My my question is, what if the players current club can't provide a kid at a level they need to play at, ie VC?

I feel like I need the ESPN trade machine for this!

Reply #287862 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

New VJBL rules up on their website. One very interesting one - is now compulsory to shake the hand of the referees after the game...!

Reply #287863 | Report this post

JV Hoops  
Years ago

In your example, the exemption would not apply. Cranbourne can offer a team to that player in that age group. The division that team would play is irrelevant.

That player would be caught as a required player and be classified as 1 of the 2 restricted players allowed.

Reply #288190 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 7:43 am, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754