Can't wait
Years ago

Sixers Imports may be recruiting coups

Post removed

Topic #23619 | Report this topic

DJ  
Years ago

Maybe better just to link to the article and mention a few points that you like rather than a whole copy paste.

NEW 36ers coach Marty Clarke could not be happier with his import guards Craig Winder and Troy DeVries, both bringing that intangible - leadership - to the NBL outfit.
Considering Adelaide finished the 2010 season in the bomb shelter for the first time, that is an excellent additional asset to the skill, smarts and athleticism both bring.

Full Article - 'Dynamic duo' soar in Sixers work-outs

Reply #286543 | Report this post

SixerFan  
Years ago

Everything we are hearing suggests they will be very good. Can't wait to see them play!

Reply #286551 | Report this post

bretts the man  
Years ago

Really wanted us to be bigger with 1 of our imports but really getting positive about coaching dou and with that have faith in their import selection and way we are going to play.
Well and truly ready for season

Reply #286556 | Report this post

Loco  
Years ago

I'd be rather suprised if the coach came out and bagged his imports pre-season to the media.

The eladership bit bodes well - I felt we were sorely lacking in that department post-Maher. Hopefully this will also see some pressure off Balls (ha!) and open his game up.

Reply #286560 | Report this post

Loco  
Years ago

*leadership

Reply #286561 | Report this post

SRT070  
Years ago

i too have faith in marty, if he is impressed then thats good enough for me. im just getting itchy waiting to see a game.

Reply #286562 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

36ers have stuck gold with the coaching staff, you might not win it this year, but its coming soon.Marty is one of the best coaches pound for pound in the world, let only the NBL, and his assistant knows his stuff inside out. Imports look great, what a good time to be a 36ers supporter, Enjoy the ride.

Reply #286569 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Early days yet, but I do agree that Marty Clarke will have a big impact as coach - I have big wraps on his coaching abilities.

Reply #286580 | Report this post

Fill Smythe  
Years ago

I'm not fussed about the lack of talls. Remember when Holmes & Rychart were our best rebounders?

Reply #286601 | Report this post

Fill Smythe  
Years ago

I'm not fussed about the lack of talls. Remember when Holmes & Rychart were our best rebounders?

Reply #286603 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

hahahahahahahhahahahahahhahaha

Reply #286613 | Report this post

Special Agent Oso  
Years ago

How did the team go taht season Fill?

Reply #286616 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Interesting that Sixers have gone with a perimeter focus with their imports.
If your PG is any good, then that will be a smart move. If he is as good as early indications then on his own he will add as much value as both last year's imports.
I understand De Vries is probably an economic decision rather than purely basketball related, but your weaknesses in past have been a reliance on 3's, rebounding and playing defence.
Scoring can overcome some deficiencies. so it remains to be seen if import choices can take the team to next level.

Reply #286622 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Crocs
Tigers
Wildcats
Blaze
Breakers
36ers
Hawks
Taipans
Kings

Reply #286686 | Report this post

Ineedmore  
Years ago

Bring on the fantasy leagues!!!!
And yes, the Sixers are too short.

Reply #286780 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

Holmes in career best form - he never really had it like that before.
I suggest giving Harris a go before plunging in.

Reply #286855 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Harris is on the improve, no doubt about it. At 7'4 and 26 you would think his best form is well ahead of him.

As for Devries being an economic decision, the past two seasons he has comfortably been his team's leading scorer in the Spanish LEB! While that isnt quite at NBL standard, it is still a very respectable league.

Reply #286879 | Report this post

Ineedmore  
Years ago

hopefully you're right about Holmes. Don't know if you caught the district grand final on the weekend but he had 24 rebounds in a triple double. And he didn't even break a sweat.

Reply #286920 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

Went to a coupla sixers trainings (didn't catch the district grand final - but doesn't surprise me that he did that.) I was not so desotted with him in the past, but took an immediate liking to a differently explosive player, looking ready for anything.

Reply #286940 | Report this post

Jonno  
Years ago

Is it time to insert Holmes back into the starting SF spot?? I even thought last year he was a better starting SF than Hill, and his size puts him ahead of Herbert at SF.
Sure some people say he isn't the quickest but he is a good all round player, hustles, defends and rebounds well.
He also has been in the starting SF in playoff Sixer teams in the past, so i for one would like to see him back in at starting SF, at least until Hill or Herbert out perform him (if they do)

Reply #286947 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

He is naturally a sf, but he has been lacking the athleticism to defend that spot. If he is indeed in 'explosive' shape he is in for a big year, as offensively he can post up most three men. Hopefully he still has that money turnaround shot from the post.

Reply #286951 | Report this post

Ushiro  
Years ago

In the 36er teams of the late 1980s, Peter Ali played a similar role - defensive stopper, strong rebounder, did the hard stuff at both ends but Holmes has actually got offensive power as well.

Reply #286957 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

Looking good - it's hard to keep a lid on it.
You can try to pretend it's not happening
but I know, I know.
Recruit of the year = M. Clarke.
We are very fast. No one missed many of their 50 3point jumpers. DeVries of course has been shooting well. Carter the best, today.
Sponsors rewards to fans - we are not gonna get if we get a 100points 'cause we'll average a hundred.

Reply #286972 | Report this post

Ineedmore  
Years ago

The Sf is where we have fallen down for ages and will again this year. The reason they will rotate Hill, Holmes and Herbert at the three is only because none of them are good enough to hold the spot down by themselves. Here's hoping it works.

Reply #286974 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

And how vald is it anyway ?
The SFs of 10 years ago or Hodge and the like.
Now the people who are actually in control - the improvements in Herbert and Holmes.

Reply #286987 | Report this post

SRT070  
Years ago

can the damn season just start already? the anticipation is killing me i just wanna see them play already.

Reply #287007 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

Aw - Carter swishing about 30 threepointers in a row - I ddn't think he was ever gonna miss - gave me a fix for a little while.

Reply #287015 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

Disappointing when the ball touched the ring once
on the way in - after 30 had swished thru from Carter

Hill - doing push ups agen - like in the first scrimmage.

Reply #287123 | Report this post

SRT070  
Years ago

camel. do you mind not rubbing it in for those of us who havent had our fix lol. Im dying here. I got a feeling this is gonna be a good season all round

Reply #287155 | Report this post

6er Fan  
Years ago

Camel hit it on the head
Recruit of the year = M. Clarke

The future is looking like Gold.

Hats of SOS securing Marty, they have secured the future of the Club.

I cannot wait, bring it on.

Reply #287157 | Report this post

Can't wait  
Years ago

Great coment
SOS saved the 36ers, now they are fixing it.
The Dome is heading back to sell out status.

Reply #287158 | Report this post

SRT070  
Years ago

out of curiosity does anyone know how many season tickets have been sold? I was on the sixers site a few weeks back and it said they were 9 people away from 3000 season tickets sold. I wonder if that number is closer to 3500. Would be nice for half the stadium to be filled with season ticket holders. This is gonna be a good season

Reply #287159 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

At least Marty doesnt have big expectations to live up to in his rookie season!!

Reply #287168 | Report this post

SRT070  
Years ago

Paul, all people have expectations of their team. alot of people are expecting much better results this time around thanks to marty. and yes thats alot of pressure on him but to be honest with you thats why he gets paid for it. im sure the SOS didnt hire him so he fails so they then pat him on the back and say 'ah well mate maybe next time' im pretty certain they made it clear to him that they want to get the team to the finals or atleast in the midrange. otherwise why get rid of ninnis?

Reply #287595 | Report this post

Can't wait  
Years ago

I do not think a coach like Marty needs any demands from the Club, I think he has his own expectations and work ethic which will lead to success very quickly.
For this reason SOS have put the perfect person in the job, they have appointed the right culture not try to demand success from average coaches

Reply #287604 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

No dount SRT, but I am sure, as I did, people away from Adelaide where this expectation is considered normal would chuckle reading comments like:

"Hats of SOS securing Marty, they have secured the future of the Club" before he has coached a professional game!

Reply #287613 | Report this post

SRT070  
Years ago

yeh i see your point paul especially when referring to that individual post. But i think some people are looking at it in the way of how he is taking basketball back to the roots in SA altho in saying that going to schools and having open trainings doesnt mean you will last long if we wooden spoon again. But it is good what he is bringing. Ill be interested to see the season ticket sales at the moment compared to the last few seasons. I wonder if its higher

Reply #287626 | Report this post

Beantown  
Years ago

SRT, I thought I read on here recently that the Sixers have sold 3,500 season tickets already. That's pretty good news. Could any other team in the league claim close to that amount?

You make a good point about SOS getting the Sixers out in the community as well. I was really pleased when I read recently (maybe it was Boti) that the players are getting out and about a lot. I can't remember the number of schools they said they had visited/ were scheduled to visit, but I remember thinking it was a large number.

Paul is right to question some of the more exuberant enthusiasm as quoted above, but I can't help but feel that the team is in good hands with SOS. Nothing but positive signs off the court IMO, now its up to Marty to start building some consistency on the court.

Reply #287633 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

I agree with that guys. From what I saw of Marty in NZ last year he is meticulous and will demand the young guys improve, have good fundamentals and work very hard - that is a great thing to have after the loose, undisciplined and poorly organised Sixers we saw last season.

Top six would be a great result, but I think this way is more about how they play than results. They were winning games for much of last year but there wasnt a plan in place that would win playoff games. Marty will work to build a genuine system and I hope it leads to success.

The league looks so tight again that making the playoffs will be very very tough.

Reply #287639 | Report this post

SRT070  
Years ago

Beantown, im not sure if you may have skimmed over one of my comments on a different thread as i was asking wondering if we had sold 3500. i remember i was on the sixers website and there was a tweet saying they were 9 people away from 3000 season ticket holders. and i asked after that i wonder if the number has hit 3500 yet as that tweet was some time ago now. it just feels like a bit more effort has gone into publicity for the league, im not sure why but i just have a gut feeling. considering i havent seen any adds on tv but there just seems to be alot more hype in the league this season coming. i guess the best way to see if it has is by the number of season tickets sold. i would have thought 3500 season ticket holders is great as it would mean virtually half the stadium is filled up with the season ticket holders which would give a good atmosphere nearly every home game.

Reply #287644 | Report this post

Can't wait  
Years ago

I think that tweet referred to 3000 face book members, not sure it was season tickets.

Reply #287653 | Report this post

SRT070  
Years ago

damn i assumed it was season tickets, to me that would seem more relevant than lame book members

Reply #287693 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 7:05 am, Fri 26 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754