DJ MOJO
Years ago

Ater Majok set to leave UConn

Just heard that Ater Majok is thinking about leaving UConn...I think he could be a decent backup centre in the NBL...wonder if any NBL clubs r interested??

Topic #23669 | Report this topic

LC  
Years ago

Majok IMO should stay in college, improve his game and get an education. He is an athletic 6'10" prospect that is still very raw - he needs games uner his belt before turning pro.

Plus, he is not a centre, he is more an athletic power forward.

Reply #287171 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Lol,
Back to Sydneys Western Suburbs, maybe Kevin Sheedy could pick him up!

Reply #287173 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

no nbl clubs have a spot available for him...

Reply #287185 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Brisbane bullets do!

Reply #287193 | Report this post

Rybags  
Years ago

Don't be a fool. Stay in school.

Reply #287608 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Sadly, Ater Majok has been confirmed as leaving UConn after just 26 games...

ESPN Link: http://linky.com.au/ds4sj

No reason for him leaving has been provided and UConn have already removed his name for their 2010/11 roster on their website.

This IMO is a backward step in his basketball development.

Reply #287884 | Report this post

ankles  
Years ago

There's something decidedly odd about this whole process.

A kid who's never been part of the mainstream basketball route in Australia is recruited by a major NCAA player.

UConn suffer through his academic issues to a delayed start and then, to me at least, perservere long beyond what is justified by form, with him in a starting role.

He declares for the draft without ANY real performances of note in his resume (save a brief appearance for the Boomers which I suspect was designed more to put 'dibs' on his international future than reward stellar play) and then withdraws and now he's gone from UConn.

Bad advice, bad egg or reality bites?

Reply #287887 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Or could it be the fact he is not achieving the grades he needs and hence has been pushed out due to his acadameic non-performance?

But I do agree, a whole lot of effort and trouble all to not avail...

Reply #287888 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

from Coach Calhoun a last week

"We're talking to Ater about his future, yeah," Calhoun said. "That's all I can say. ? He hasn't made any decision yet, but he could certainly go back and play in the Australian professional league. Nothing's been determined yet, but there's a chance that kind of thing could happen."

http://www.courant.com/sports/uconn-men/hc-ater-majok-0827,0,6574436.story

hope he signs to an NBL club, disappointing for his development and NBA chances but great for the NBL's future.

Reply #287897 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

recruiting issues.

hes been forced out

Reply #287993 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

ESPN Story that outlines a few things about Ater...

Link: http://linky.com.au/d7qcs

"Leaving UConn was not my choice..."

"Was the nature of Majok's recruitment a threat to UConn in its attempts to fend off NCAA sanctions? The answer: No one, save Calhoun, Majok and the intermediaries therein, knows."

Reply #292075 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Could it be that the "not my choice" wording just implies that he feels they forced him out by not giving him the role he wanted? Certainly fits with the Majok persona that comes across in the media.

Reply #292082 | Report this post

Big Sexy  
Years ago

Would Majok be an option for the sixers? he has one thing we are missing and that is height and also playing under Marty would be good for his career.

Reply #292100 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

aparently theres a little bit of interest in majook from a couple of nbl teams.

i read hes having a shot in europe.
maybe if he fails there, he will try to come to oz

Reply #292547 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Ater Majok has finally secured himself his first pro gig, signing with one of the stronger Turkish 2nd division teams in Isikspor.

Majok has signed a 2 month deal, and if he wants to leave the club, he will be free to do so in December.

I guess it is a chance to show stronger 1st division Euro clubs that he can contribute at pro level. This opportunity could make or break his chances in Europe one might think.

Reply #293341 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

good news
he'll do well.

Reply #293833 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

majok to perth?

Reply #301245 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 4:48 am, Sat 20 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754