yogee
Years ago

NBL MVP Finalists announced

NBL Press Release
The finalists for the National Basketball League's (NBL) Most Valuable Player award for the 2004/05 Philips Championship have been revealed, with seven stars in the running for the prestigious title.

The seven finalists represent five of the eleven teams in the Philips Championship, with Adelaide and Wollongong each with two finalists apiece.

In alphabetical order, the top votegetters for the 2005 MVP award are Mark Bradtke (Melbourne), Chris Burgess (Cairns), Willie Farley (Adelaide), Darnell Mee (Wollongong), Dusty Rychart (Adelaide), Glen Saville (Wollongong) and Brian Wethers (Hunter).

The winner of the award will be announced via media release on the morning of Thursday 24 March, with the trophy to be presented at the league's annual awards night in Sydney later that evening.

One of the Philips Championship's evergreen big men, Melbourne Tigers star Mark Bradtke averaged 18 points, 11 rebounds and three assists during the regular season. He ranked second in the league in rebounding and was named as an NBL All-Star.

In his first full season in the Philips Championship, Chris Burgess of the Cairns Taipans established himself as one of the competition's premier inside presences. The American averaged 20.4 points, 13.6 rebounds and 2.4 blocks per game during the regular season, leading the league in rebounding and ranking eighth in scoring and third in blocked shots. Burgess was also named as an NBL All-Star.

Willie Farley returned to Adelaide and showed the sort of form that had helped lead the 36ers to a title back in 2002. Farley was second in the league in scoring at 23.6 points per game as well as averaging 4.2 rebounds, 3.5 assists and 1.7 steals. The

36ers star was named the Philips Player of the Week for Round 19.

Darnell Mee was a pivotal figure in the Wollongong Hawks stifling defence all season and helped the Hawks become the league's toughest defensive team. With regular season averages of 14.7 points, 7.6 assists, 6.4 rebounds and 1.9 steals per game, Mee has also shown himself to be a dangerous offensive threat. Mee led the league in assists and was second for steals. He has already been named as the NBL's Best Defensive Player for the 2004/05 Philips Championship season, in the process becoming just the second player in NBL history to win the award four times.

Adelaide forward, Dusty Rychart joined with Farley and 36ers captain Brett Maher to form one of the league's best-ever trios this season. Rychart averaged 21.4 points, 10.6 rebounds and 2.9 assists per game. He was ranked third in the league for both points and offensive rebounds and received the Philips Player of the Week award in Round 16.

Wollongong swingman Glen Saville led his team to the 2005 Philips Grand Final series, marking the second most successful season in Hawks history. Saville was a consistent performer all year for the Hawks, averaging 17.8 points, 9.4 rebounds and 3.8 assists per game during the regular season. Saville was named the Philips Player of the Week in Round 14 and was honoured as an NBL All-Star.

The newly crowed NBL scoring champion, Brian Wethers of the Hunter Pirates exploded into the Philips Championship in his first season. During 2004/05 Wethers averaged 24.3 points, 6.5 rebounds and 3.0 assists per game. He recently collected the Hunter Pirates club Most Valuable Player award.

The NBL's Most Valuable Player award is voted on by head coaches following each game during the regular season.

NBL Most Valuable Player  Previous Winners

Year Player Club

1979 Ken Richardson West Adelaide Bearcats

1980 Rocky Smith St. Kilda Saints

1981 Mike Jones Illawarra Hawks

1982 Al Green West Adelaide Bearcats

1983 Owen Wells Sydney Supersonics

1984 Leroy Loggins Brisbane Bullets

1985 Ray Borner Coburg Giants

1986 Leroy Loggins Brisbane Bullets

1987 Mark Davis Adelaide 36ers

Leroy Loggins Brisbane Bullets

1988 Joe Hurst Hobart Tassie Devils

1989 Scott Fisher North Melbourne Giants

1990 Derek Rucker Brisbane Bullets

1991 Andrew Gaze Melbourne Tigers

1992 Scott Fisher North Melbourne Giants

Andrew Gaze Melbourne Tigers

1993 Robert Rose South East Melbourne Magic

1994 Andrew Gaze Melbourne Tigers

1995 Andrew Gaze Melbourne Tigers

1996 Andrew Gaze Melbourne Tigers

1997 Andrew Gaze Melbourne Tigers

1998 Andrew Gaze Melbourne Tigers

1999 Steve Woodberry Brisbane Bullets

2000 Paul Rogers Perth Wildcats

2001 Robert Rose Townsville Crocodiles

2002 Mark Bradtke Melbourne Tigers

2003 Chris Williams Sydney Kings

2004 Matthew Nielsen Sydney Kings

Topic #2368 | Report this topic

statue of liberty  
Years ago

absolutely terrific write up yogee.

By looking at what you've said, the MVP is going to be so tough. All the players are so even, they all lead in different stats!

I find it unusual that not one of them is from the championship team, but i guess they look at them as a team as aposed to individuals. I am also disapointed to not see Maher there. Darnell Mee's stats would look very similars to Brett Mahers, but i dont think Darnall will be the one to win it, nor Bradtke.

I would like to see Darnell Mee or Farley win it, but i reckon it will be between Burgess and Weathers, because they are the players that stick out in the weaker teams. Adelaide have 3 guns, same with sydney and wollongong, where as Wethers and Burgess were the key players for their teams.

Reply #26542 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

yogee didnt write it it was a press release....and Isaac posted them before anyway.

Reply #26554 | Report this post

yogee  
Years ago

Apologies to Isaac if he did...I didnt see it anywhere, hence why I posted it, and yes it is an NBL press release.

Reply #26560 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Normally yogee gets the media releases before they're put up on the NBL or OzHoops sites, but was likely delayed at work.

No Rillie or Smith seems to be the main beef from Crocs and Kings fans especially!

Reply #26573 | Report this post

yogee  
Years ago

Yes, for some reason even though I work in the telecommunications industry, I have no internet access at work.

Eeven though I see the emails I get via my WAP phone, I just cant do anythingwith them.

However, if I had tried actually looking at the forum threads, rather than doing a typical mens glance, I would have seen Isaacs earlier post.

Reply #26601 | Report this post

Kent Brockman  
Years ago

How could Rillie not be nominated...lead the league in POTW awards....strange

Reply #26619 | Report this post

Kriss  
Years ago

That is weird, rille had a great season doind a bit of everything for the youing crocs and to not be mentinoed when he got 4 POW is a bit of a joke

Reply #26657 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 8:48 pm, Thu 25 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754