LC
Years ago

World Champs: Boomers vs Argentina 30-Aug

The Boomers play game 2 tonight at 4:30am AEST against Argentina who accounted for Germany in their first game.

Post any live online links and comments in this thread.

Go Boomers!

My prediction - Argentina by 4

Topic #23680 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Argentina by 12

Be a little different to to C grade team they sent to Australia

Reply #287377 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The Fox broadcast starts at 4:20am EST (3:50am in Adelaide).

Arsing out a win against the likes of Jordan doesn't fill me with too much confidence that we'll keep this to a close loss. Argentina comfortably, we always start these big tournaments poorly.

Reply #287379 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Argies by 17

Reply #287380 | Report this post

skull  
Years ago

coach brown and co need to be very reactive,coach aggressively and be prepared for situation plays..... milk them and move on!!
i think the boomers can pinch this one (like the jordanians thought they could)the boomers by 5 points.

Reply #287384 | Report this post

adam  
Years ago

Although I hope I am wrong, it will be Argentina by 11pts.

Reply #287385 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

Beating them 3 times may help the milieu.
The nerves of those playing at their first WCs was the main reason we played poorly against Jordan
There's an ole saying in Basketball " Getloose. "
Our Captain will see us win agen.

Reply #287389 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Aussies by 12. Prigioni will struggle with mills. No wing defence now with nocioni out. Hopefully brown starts Newley and Ingles.Oberto is to old and after him they have no quality big man where aus have nielson andersen maric and baynes. And i think Delfino is due for a cold shooting game as he has been hot in all the pregames to the world champs and game 1. Putting $300 ont he boomers to win and will be confident in getting it back.

Reply #287400 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

Goodonya. - my compatriot.
Wonder what the odds are for this game.

Reply #287401 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

forgot about scola probably the best power forward in the tournament.

Reply #287403 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Andersen will no his post moves from his season with the rockets so we should be all good.

Reply #287404 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Also spain will be 0-2 down with Kirk Penney scoring 50.

Reply #287405 | Report this post

MG  
Years ago

Camel 31 - argentina paying $1.23 and Australia $3.95 on ozbet.
also I mentioned before in another thread, NZ are paying $20 tonight for the win over Spain...

Reply #287407 | Report this post

Jackson  
Years ago

A win tonight moves us to first with gemsny just bearing Serbia 69-63. Also means we can still be 2 nd if we loose by less than 5

Reply #287409 | Report this post

Jackson  
Years ago

can we get any streams up if possible?

Reply #287410 | Report this post

hurley  
Years ago

what the hells goi9ng on? does foxtel mind showing us the game? seeing as they fucken scheduled it?!?!?!??!?!?! i dont give a fuck about rugby 14s or pete sampras.. what is this ?

Reply #287411 | Report this post

hurley  
Years ago

so theyve decided they'll jhust l;eaisurely delay our game.. fuck u foxtel. once the WC's are over they can shove it up there ass

Reply #287412 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

the last game went double ot....i think the delay is due to that

Reply #287413 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

spain struggling with kiwis......spain be lucky to make semis..

Reply #287414 | Report this post

hurley  
Years ago

the look in neilsens eyes is one of solid determination, hes gonna do everything he can to take us there... u bet!

Reply #287415 | Report this post

Jackson  
Years ago

found a stream on channelsurfing.net

Reply #287416 | Report this post

pwned  
Years ago

this commentator is useless and uneducated. seems like hes read the manual on basketball commentary...

Reply #287417 | Report this post

Jackson  
Years ago

if anyone knows an english stream it would be good?

Reply #287418 | Report this post

hurley  
Years ago

fuck! solid start

Reply #287419 | Report this post

pwned  
Years ago

they look cash!

Reply #287420 | Report this post

hurley  
Years ago

finally, the offence looks like an offence... lets not get lacksadasical... we CAN, yes we CAN

Reply #287421 | Report this post

illicit  
Years ago

awesome start by the Boomers

Reply #287422 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

http://www.firesport.net/2010/05/nba.html

Reply #287423 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Boomers looking good

Reply #287424 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Boomers up 25-20 at Qtr time.

Mills needs to give it up more.

Reply #287425 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Is it a rule that international basketball must be commentated by someone watching their first game of basketball?

also, does it not seem to anybody else like its only in international games that you see so many ugly jump shots shot at amazing percentages

Reply #287426 | Report this post

pwned  
Years ago

aussies stagnant without mills

Reply #287427 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The pom doing commentary has done plenty of games before. He's the same guy who does all the Euro Cup & Greek League games and the recent WC warm up games on the Eurosport channel.

Reply #287428 | Report this post

pwned  
Years ago

newley get out of my life...

Reply #287429 | Report this post

hurley  
Years ago

yes australia

yes we cannibus!

Reply #287430 | Report this post

hurley  
Years ago

who gives a fuck whos commentating, were leading by 7! come on lets keep it up

Reply #287431 | Report this post

pwned  
Years ago

yeah its the same pom who said yesterday australia had no outside game.
who cares what he commentates if he knows nothing about aussie basketball.
i found his commentary against jordan boring and he frequently confused players and calls... he kept going on about how jingles never travels in training, but he travelled there, yet the call was double dribble.

Reply #287432 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Boomers up 39-33 at half-time.

Reply #287433 | Report this post

Murray  
Years ago

That bloke still thinks Ando plays for the Rockets, wat a DC. Boomers looking strong...keepin delfino to minimal shots, gotta watch that pick n roll with scola other than that good shooting night so far...keep it up #GOBOOMERS

Reply #287434 | Report this post

pwned  
Years ago

delfino in foul trouble

Reply #287435 | Report this post

pwned  
Years ago

hahaha scola just got teched for flopping. mad nba skills

Reply #287436 | Report this post

hurley  
Years ago

australia is winning by 10, this is just fantastic. nothing is going argentinas way, but i still wouldnt count them out, despite the fact that australia is looking much stronger right now.

Reply #287437 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

i thought mills was better than this, but when he is on, there is basically no offensive sets, big guys dont touch it inside.

Reply #287438 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

http://www.sports2stream.com/2010/08/argentina-vs-australia.html

Reply #287439 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

when the games get all emotional (ie opposition complaining about every call) the aussies normally fall apart....

Reply #287440 | Report this post

pwned  
Years ago

fuck newley is useless. bench him before he shoots us out the game

Reply #287441 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

newley mentally weak...... maric...does he want us to lose?

Reply #287442 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

1 down under 5 mins, and you would normally be happy with that, but they way we are playing we could lose by 10+

Reply #287443 | Report this post

:)  
Years ago

We are mentally weak...... I though maric was supposed to be the main player. Had 23pts Last night but tonight no show. I wonder If jawai was playing He would of have scored by now or did something. Put baynes on....

Reply #287444 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

we havent really played that well...

Reply #287445 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

why didnt we foul early in the shot clock?

Reply #287446 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

fuck!!!!!

Reply #287447 | Report this post

budgie  
Years ago

I just got up whats the score?

Reply #287448 | Report this post

pwned  
Years ago

see that tosser kick the ball into the stand? douche!!

Reply #287449 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

What a choke job by us. Argentina won by 2 points and Scola destroyed our crap bigs.

Reply #287450 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

lost by 2...... missed shot on buzzer to win.

Reply #287451 | Report this post

hurley  
Years ago

well we lost by 2, but atleast we were right in the thick of it. have to be somewhat proud of the boys but they just didnt have experience over this team... I think this game bodes well for us, and we could very easily still be top 2.

Reply #287452 | Report this post

hurley  
Years ago

also anonymous, u should show SOME respect.. we played OK. Maric just had a useless game.. We can do things in this tournament.

Reply #287453 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

hurley, you've got a cheek about showing respect.

btw we were never a chance for a medal here.

Reply #287454 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Maric might've been talking to some Pakistani bookmakers I reckon.

Reply #287455 | Report this post

orbit  
Years ago

Refs should have blown a tech for the tosser kicking it into the stands when there was still time on the clock. Neilson told him too!!
Needed Bogut as Scola killed us.

Reply #287456 | Report this post

Jawoi  
Years ago

whoever that player who kicks the ball hard to the stand should be reprimanded for his action. beforehand and afterwards the game, players are still bound by game ethics as long as the tourney is on.

on topic, it was a good game by the Boomers all the while only to lose in the closing seconds.

they can still get to the top 2 of the group. go Boomers!

Reply #287457 | Report this post

hurley  
Years ago

all Im saying is that i think this team can make top 8. and I think it was a good game, we were exoecting to lose by more beforehand, I think the rest of the games are winnable... who knows what will happen but I think that they can get better again.

Reply #287458 | Report this post

hurley  
Years ago

would be great to make top 8 this year, we wopuld start looking dangerous come next olympics.

Reply #287459 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Holy crap - we had a chance to win this game and really set us up for the rest of the tournament.

We ended up going down 72-74. Joe Ingles led Australia with 22, Patrick Mills 21 and Matt Nielsen 10.

What happened to our bigs in this game?

BA Recap: http://linky.com.au/du90r

Germany upset Serbia in double-OT as well...and the Germans are up next...

Reply #287460 | Report this post

Big Ads  
Years ago

Anyone happen to notice that Angola defeated Jordan by 14.

Reply #287461 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Yep - and Angola should always have been expected to defeated Jordan.

We are going to have to beat Germany tonight if we want to finish at least 3rd in our group, and then we get to play Serbia at full strength with the return of both Teodosic and Krstic whcih will be arguably a tougher game that the one against Argentina.

Reply #287463 | Report this post

Statman  
Years ago

Wow - I dont see why there is so much hate towards the team after todays game?
Our bigs were outplayed, absolutely they were but to suggest we were not trying and are shit is just garbage. Scola was simply superb and was hitting long range shots and inside. He was simply too good for our guys tonight and led his team brilliantly.

I agree our offence at times was stagnant with various players just holding the ball at the top of the key before taking a pull up 3 pointer. When they dropped great - when they started to miss we looked very poor.
Mills showed what he can do when he moves - with and without the ball. His passing was excellent early in the game and he worked very hard to get free and took good open looks or passed the ball well to open players.

Oh well, we had a very good look in the last seconds to get the win and it rimmed out so its hardly all doom and gloom. Lets hope they can make some minor adjustments before our next game and continue to improve. Its a very even group so we could still have a great shot at top 8

Reply #287464 | Report this post

XY  
Years ago

Can't complain too much against the world no. 1 when you lose by a bucket at the buzzer that rims out after a pretty good look.

Would have been great to snatch an upset win though.

Reply #287465 | Report this post

bossmang  
Years ago

Great game to watch....howeva quite disappointed with BBrown's subs....didnt seem 2 know when to keep players in the game eg before Arg went on their scoring run he took out a hot Joe Ingles and this cost us dearly as we lost our scoring momentum at that particular time in the game.....also quite early in the game BBrown took out PMills just as he was winding up and was breaking people of the dribble and hitting big shots ...it just seems with BBrown he seems to make costly decisions with his rotations at the wrong times.....and this isnt the 1st time ive noticed this when he coaches the Boomers...it might be time for Heal to step up.........im 100% certain if Ingles wasnt taken out of the game at that stage in the game we would all b celebratin a boomers victory.

Reply #287466 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Shane Heal to step up and coach the Boomers - are you kidding me? Shane Heal is even lucky to be on the coaching roster if you ask me! Heaven help us if he ever gets his hands on the reigns...

Reply #287467 | Report this post

DJ Rod  
Years ago

Isnt it amazing... we played CRAP and won against Jordan (not Mike), but played well and lost against Argies.

Emotionally it must be hard... for us fans as well!

Reply #287468 | Report this post

Jawoi  
Years ago

Andersen is picking up his low-post mives again. great to see him shines in this tournament

Reply #287475 | Report this post

chewie  
Years ago

Agree on some classic hate here. Great effort by most of our boys last night. Patty, Jingles and Nitro all played really well. I do love it. If Gibbo makes that shot, this thread is completely different. The difference an inch can make....."thats what she said".

Cant wait to see the German game...should be a cracker.

Reply #287477 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Right on chewie...

Reply #287478 | Report this post

DJ Rod  
Years ago

They can hold their heads high... a lot of ifs and buts

Newls 2 FTs, Jingles 1FT from the tech, a few Andersen layups early after great foot work, Marics unfortunate game, Scola on fire and Gibbos 3...

well done guys, take that energy into the next few games

Reply #287489 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

The Boomers need to take a leaf out of the Tall Blacks book.

With only really Penney as a proven International scorer, we can score 84 points against a talented Spanish team.

How? Because our offenses incorporate ball movement; off and on ball screening, hard cuts, ball reversal, kick and penetrate.

Look at Abercrombie scoring 19 against Spain (and you could go back to Vukona scoring 19 against Lithuania), They aren't the most notable scorers at this level, but they get scoring opportunities because of the ball movement and flowing offense that Vucinic runs.

Reply #287536 | Report this post

rjd  
Years ago

Exactly. In 2008, the Boomers were the 2nd leading scorer (behind USA) running a more familiar style of offense that suits our lineup. Averaged over 90ppg.

Reply #287540 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

its scary to think that brett brown might be an even worse offensive coach than BG... as a cavs fan he's starting to remind me of another brown iwth links to the spurs

Reply #287545 | Report this post

Beantown  
Years ago

Just got around to watching a replay of the Boomers game v Argentina and I don't get why anyone would complain about our performance in this game. Sure we lost, but we played very well for most of the game.

The point at which the Argies finally got a 6 point lead late in the game was on the back of two tough shots from Delfino and Gutierrez. Nothing we could do about those shots. But we fought back and levelled from there with some great baskets from Nielsen and a nice drive with FT's from Mills.

Down 1 with a bit over a minute on the clock, we were very unlucky with Nielsen's 2nd FT rimming out and then a wide open three from Mills doing the same.

Mills then tied it up with a three, only for Prigioni to come out of nowhere and knock down a tough three for a three point lead.

Mills then made 1/2 FTs and Scola made 2/2 from the line after Nielsen left his feet unnecessarily with 9 secs remaining.

That gave them a 4 pt lead, but we didn't give up with Ingles putting in another two and our guys did a great job of forcing a turnover to have a last crack. Gibbo got a good shot and rimmed it out. Another night and that would have been a win to the Boomers.

All in all our defence remains amongst the best in the tournament and our guys showed that WHEN THEY BACK THEMSELVES, cut hard and move the ball, they can score pretty well.

Ingles showed that he can create very well for himself off the dribble, especially if he attacks the basket instead of settling for threes. If he can find some consistency throughout the remainder of this tournament, the Boomers can go deep.

Mills was much better in this game than he has been recently. He still has a tendency to jack up the odd bad shot, but he generally made good decisions on when to shoot and when to kick the ball to a team mate.

Honestly I thought we were in no way outplayed by the Argies, who will be thereabouts at the end of the tournament. The only thing I would change about our performance against Argentina is for our guys to attack the basket more instead of settling for threes, which is not a strength for most of them.

Ingles had too much length for their wings and Newley also looked dangerous when he attacked the basket. If our bigs - especially Maric - then got in position for the dish under the basket, we would have scored a lot of easy points and probably fouled out more than just Gutierrez.

Reply #287629 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 3:04 am, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754