Michael
Years ago

Finals to Watch

Anyone have any comments re the upcoming games????

Topic #23692 | Report this topic

Jack Toft  
Years ago

I think everyone is eagerly awaiting the U12 Boys Grand Final.

Early betting is for a Norwood-Sturt GF.

Reply #287599 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I agree Jack - obviously Norwood will win unless Sturt play a zone, or there is only one ref or a player is sick for Norwood.

Reply #287601 | Report this post

Europa 62  
Years ago

I'm pretty sure the last few meetings have been decided by only a few points, i don't think its going to be as one sided as anonymous thinks

Reply #287609 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Europa,

I made that comment based on the plethora of reasons and excuses offered by Norwood when they drew with Woodville.

IMO Sturt is the best TEAM we have played all year - Norwood relies to heavily on skills of a individuals

Reply #287645 | Report this post

Andrew  
Years ago

Just checked the table. So they have a good player Anonymous. Sounds like the game. Any others of interest!!!!!

Reply #287659 | Report this post

Andrew  
Years ago

Just checked the table. So they have a good player Anonymous. Sounds like the game. Any others of interest!!!!!

Reply #287660 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Andrew the "a" before individuals shouldn't be there - typo. IMO are a better disciplined TEAM

U14 Girls also will be good

Reply #287662 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

anonymous
I think you may be right. Norwood boys do rely on individual skills, and it may be their undoing. Having said that I think they have beat sturt 5 or 6 times this year already, so its pretty easy to see who the better team is already.(regarless of finals) P W L D FOR AG PC PTS
norwood 18 17 0 1 0 0 1007 431 233.64 53
sturt 18 15 3 0 0 0 837 432 193.75 48
SORT OF SPEAKS FOR IT SELF
GO NORWOOD!!!!!!!!!!!

As for the woodville game, woodville played better than norwood on the night and managed to get a draw. No other excusses. Lets hope for a norwood, sturt gradfinal as they are clearly the best 2 teams in under 12's

Reply #287663 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Two three point wins in the winter season, a state champs win to Norwood but a second place to Sturt at the big one - the classics.

Sturt is closing the gap - I know our team is now more intimidated by Sturt than Norwood.

Will be a good game.

Reply #287672 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

its under 12's who cares

Reply #287674 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

people in under 12's that's who cares idiot. why post anything. As for 2nd place in the classics, norwood never played sturt. bit of a shame would have liked to see that game. Most teams are intimidated by sturt, they are normally the team to beat. just not this year in Under 12's. Never know either sturt or norwood may not make the grand final. Finals are funny things and any team is cabable of playing a big game. Could be mavs or woodville in the grandfinal. Hope not, I think sturt and norwood are the better teams and would look forward to seeing them go at it again.

Reply #287680 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It is irrelevant if they played Sturt or not in the classics. In two years time the records will show Sturt 2nd and Norwood in the bottom half. No one will recall or care who played who.

Anyway no pressure on Sturt at all in the U12's as everyone, or is that everyone from Norwood, expect Norwood to continue their dominance over Sturt.

Reply #287683 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

These poor children, if you parents had any idea how stupid these posts are, you would be ashamed.
10 and 11 year old children, god help them.

Reply #287684 | Report this post

agree  
Years ago

Anonymous 287674:

Have you ever watch U/12 Basketball there are some really talented players out there from all clubs and some of the games are fantastic to watch. The skills that some of these players have are incredible for their age. Keep up the good work U/12 players Boys & Girls.

Reply #287685 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I can't believe how much pressure some parents put on their 10/11 year old children. Its my experience that parents who carry on that much about their childrens sport either need to "get a life" or else they will find their children will give up the game at an early age because of how much winning/losing means to their parents who should know better.

Isn't it great that these kids are out exercising and participating in basketball. who really cares who beats who etc etc. Oh I know THE PARENTS!!!!

Reply #287688 | Report this post

Europa23  
Years ago

it is great that these kids are out exercising and participating in basketball. And the pressure of winning is an important factor for these kids. This helps drive and motivate kids to become better and achieve goals. You want to know who cares about who beats who? The kids, thats who. I know the kids I see play from all clubs seem to be happier when they win. Nobody plays to loose. kids love to win and be competitive. Thats life! Maybe you need to get one.Nothing like seeing young kids deal with and overcome pressure. Good lesson in life.

Reply #287694 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It's a pity that parents can't see this and keep jumping clubs to find a winning team be it basketball or football. To me it teaches the wrong lesson - work hard and success will come your way in whatever you do in life rather than seek an easier way out!!

Reply #287695 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yes "agree" I have watched these kids, I also have had my own son win U12 premierships in Div 1 (so what!!!!!) and not that long ago coached a Div 1 premiership myself. I stand by what I say, this is typical ugly parent syndrome. Get some class everybody, because when you look back in the years to come, you see how idiotic these attitudes are.

Yes i agree with above these kids actually play for enjoyment first. And your kids will remember your behaviour.

Reply #287701 | Report this post

nix12  
Years ago

This is ridiculous. When a team performs well all year but fails at State Champs, everyone says they failed when it mattered. Norwood didn't do that - they won State Champs, proving they have been the best team this year.

So now people start using the excuse that they failed at Classics, as a reason to hang crap on them.

There was a team a couple of years ago who won all year, medalled at Classics but missed out at State Champs. People here said they failed because they missed out on the big one. Make up your minds!

At the end of the day, these are young kids who are very good at their game. Respect them and let them play. That applies to Norwood and Sturt boys.

I am sure it is not Sturt people doing this. Sturt and Norwood have an enormous respect for each other. It's people from the crappy clubs (Woodville and the like), who really have no idea.

Reply #287708 | Report this post

flame1  
Years ago

Wow nix12 couldn't have said it better myself!!!!!!!! I know at norwood under 12's there is nothing but repect for sturt.

Reply #287734 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Crappy clubs like Woodville - classy mate which is why no one has any respect for how Norwood approach players in ALL age groups. Especially after a game!!!

Reply #287740 | Report this post

Michael  
Years ago

Looks like there is only one game..............

Reply #287744 | Report this post

nix12  
Years ago

#740 - you are just proving my point. There is enormous respect amongst the big 3 clubs - Sturt, Norwood and Eagles. As for the rest, well...maybe get your own backyard in order becaus you are a LONG way behind.

So you are suggesting Norwood people approached kids from another club after a game? If you have evidence (which of course you don't), you should pass it on to Arnie, because that stuff is really not on.

Reply #287753 | Report this post

WestBearcub  
Years ago

1) as a player and a new coach i have never had the chance to go to classics or even be in state champs, could some please explain why these two carnivals are so important and how they are any different to Easter classics or st clair xmas carnival or mildura carnival.
2) other than under 12s any interesting grand finals to be seen, im certainly interested in the u14/1 girls i think that should be a good game.

Reply #287755 | Report this post

bc23  
Years ago

why are people from woodville so angry? any ideas?

Reply #287756 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

which of course I do nix. Try looking at your current U14bd1 as a starting point.

Also there is no big 3 but in my mind a big 2. of which both are south of greenhill road!

Reply #287757 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I think the big third now is up the freeway

Reply #287760 | Report this post

Dwayne  
Years ago

I think it's parents looking for quality coaching that is leading to them changing clubs ? Naturally people look for this with their kids.

Reply #287912 | Report this post

Henry  
Years ago

Probably upset the way the refs get intimidated by the coach...............

Reply #287932 | Report this post

anon  
Years ago

If my daughter played for Sturt I would not consider I was at one of the big 3 Clubs.

Results from Under 10 and up

4th, 3rd, 5th, 4th and 2nd

Mid table at best.

Reply #287941 | Report this post

Rhea 90  
Years ago

Really, which other clubs has U10 - U21 girls all 5th and above?

Reply #287942 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

haha anon, good to see your jealousy shining!

All age groups in finals bar the 14s, who did the job at state championships to qualify for Nationals.

Certainly would doubt 3 other clubs would have better results thoughout!!

Reply #287943 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

nix12. There is no confusion in my mind.

Classics = #1
Winter GF = #2
State Champs = #3

To me the state champs are held to early in the season but is held then to decide who will qualify for classics and in U14's the nationals.

The winter GF is a reflection of performance over a longer time frame and how the teams rank as they finish in that age group or season before the next season.

Obviously winning the state champs is great but IMO I rate it third.

Reply #287945 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

so nix all us other than Norwood and Sturt are from crappy clubs. I do so hope all others from crappy clubs read this and understand what the general Norwood population think of us when they come to us seeking us to play in their Easter tournament.

I will be strongly advocating that we spend our tournament dollars elsewhere rather than lose another Easter at a tournament where we are not really appreciated.

Reply #287949 | Report this post

Dean  
Years ago

STURT IS the Superpower!!!!!!!!!!!!

Reply #287952 | Report this post

nix12  
Years ago

#949 - if you want to quote me that's fine, but please don't just make stuff up.

#945 - Actually I agree with you, however Sturt in particular seem to place a higher emphasis on State Champs than winter. Each to their own I guess.

Reply #287969 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

well nix, without clarification what are we to assume but all clubs except Norwood and Sturt are crappy.

You have named Woodville and the like as crappy - do you want to take this opportunity to clarify what you mean by "and the like". You obviously mean others as well!!

Reply #288040 | Report this post

DGTBaller  
Years ago

State champs 1
Classics 2
Winter 3
Eltham/Easter 4
Summer 5

State Champs is all about doing it for your club. It's not just for qualifications, it's for the club trophies. If points/trophies were handed out for winter season finals instead of state champs (which I think is how Vic does it?) you'd see a shift in emphasis from Sturt I think.

Winning for your club is the ultimate, and winning against the best teams in the country at Classics is a very close 2nd. Winning either would qualify as a great year, winning both is extremely rare for an SA team but is a fantastic achievement.

Winter season is nice and all but to me (and I reckon if you asked a Sturt person they'd agree, though I think people at my club may disagree) it's a pretty distant 3rd to the big 2 tourneys.

Reply #288042 | Report this post

o  
Years ago

Can't compare.
Physically and mentally, tournaments require a different skill set. Concentration, stamina, pick yourself up after defeat come into it much more during a tounament than during Friiday night games. Sturt do well at tournaments because selection and training focus on the required mental attitude.

Reply #288061 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

This is such a load of BS Sturt place as much importance on Winter season as all the tournaments and summer. I know I coached there. Sturt have great success for the simple reason they have their act together and have huge numbers of juniors to select from. A simple formula

Reply #288082 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Actually anon above, we don't. It is made quite clear that your focus is to be State Champs. Since the last school holidays our top-aged players have been training with the bottom-agers from the next age group on Sundays to prepare for next season, not concentrate on upcoming finals. Some teams stop training, or only train once a week, after Classics for a period of time.
I am not suggesting we don't try in winter season, or don't care about it - we certainly do - but we plan our year around trying to peak as a team in May, not October.

Reply #288083 | Report this post

';'  
Years ago

I think also when coming to the winter finals, everyone is looking forward to the break and if you do not win the whole thing it is not the end of the world. For me: 1. State Champs, Classics, Eltham (start of the year) and then Winter.

Reply #288126 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

You lost credilibility when saying Eltham in front of Winter GF.

Those tournaments, like Easter and Nunawading are notorious for teams playing in wrong grades.

Reply #288133 | Report this post

';'  
Years ago

Championship or (A) grade as they call it in Eltham has never been wrong, not sure about the other grades.

Reply #288139 | Report this post

observer  
Years ago

Looks to me this should have been called the U/12 sturt / norwood forum

Anybody else want to discuss any other finals

EG What about all the who ha after summer grand final in 18 one boys and what about 16 boys where sturt have dominated with this group of boys for previous years, but have failed to be forrestville this year

I'm sure there are probably are lot of interesting things in numerous age groups that could be discussed as per the the original topic instead of just these 2 teams

Reply #288143 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Reply #288145 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Failed to beat Forestville? You mean excluding the summer season and State Champs finals?

Reply #288147 | Report this post

Tiger Woodduck  
Years ago

Under 18 Boys Fianls series should be fascinating.

Four quality teams, with Sturt top with there two losses against Southern who are 4th.

Southern need to beat Norwood who the usually struggle with and would probably have preferred to be playing Mavs or Sturt.

Mavs have wood on Norwood and split games with Southern did not beat Sturt.

Reply #288155 | Report this post

opti  
Years ago

WestBearcub, I have had to reply in 3 parts as the message was too long. Please read through. in a Nut Shell ....
Part 1 - State Champs are a weekend style tournament played in May in which all Div 1 and Div 2 district teams compete for points for their Clubs. There are points to be gained in each Div/Age/Sex category and in the end there is a State Champion Club in each category plus overall by sex and total overall. In Div 2, if a club has 2 teams they need to nominate the one that is competing for points, the other one can only create damage for the other clubs. The top 4 Div1 teams in each Year/Sex are also invited to participate in the Junior Classic in Melbourne. In my opinion the Victorian system is a lot fairer, as by doing it this way teams that might have sick or injured players over that single weekend could be heavily penalized. SA trialed in 2009 a system where the ranking at round 9 (after each team has had a chance to play all other teams) was used and personally I feel this to be a better system.

Reply #288590 | Report this post

opti  
Years ago

Part 2 - The Classic is the most prestigious Club tournament in Australia, with the exception of the National Club Championship held only for U14 and U18. The Classic is by invitation only and generally the top 4 Div 1 teams from SA are invited. The U12 and U14 are played in Albert Park and the U16 and U18 in Dandenong. This is is a benchmark type tournament were the top team across Australia keep checking over the years how they are progressing. Of course this isn't always fair as most top Clubs keep poaching kids from other clubs in an attempt to get better! Very few SA Clubs and teams in particular have had the privilege to win a Classic! Sturt here is the undisputed leader and the only SA Club with wins in the U12 & U14 !
Sturt with 10 wins (U12B 2009 - U12G 2005 - U14B 2006 - U14G 1999 2006 - U16B 1997 - U16G 1979 1982 - U18B 1990 1995)
West Adelaide with 5 wins (U16G 1980 1982 - U18B 1991 1994 - U18G 1985)
North Adelaide with 4 wins (U16B 1991 1992 - U16G 1979 1982)
Norwood with 2 wins (U16G 1991 - U18G 1992)
Eastern Mavericks with 1 wins (U18G 2005)
Woodville with 1 wins (U18B 1999)

Reply #288591 | Report this post

opti  
Years ago

Part 3 - Now, as far as Finals to watch, this Friday I would recommend the U14 Div1 Final between Eagles and Mavs. This should be a very good and interesting game. The winner will play in the Gran Final the Sturt U14 boys who have never lost a game in Div 1 since U10. Yet anything can happen in Grand Finals ! Following this game the U18 Div 1 Men Sturt vs Norwood will also be a great game to watch. Plus the atmosphear at the Sturt Club Room is always great! ;-)

Reply #288592 | Report this post

Years ago

"with the exception of the National Club Championship held only for U14 and U18. "

opti - I have never heard of u18 national club championships like u14s ???

Reply #288594 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

National club championships were once U18s in the 70s maybe 80s i think, prior to being U14s but i could be wrong. If anyone else has any history on this it would be interesting.

Reply #288599 | Report this post

opti  
Years ago

Sorry, my mistake, too much copy and pasting, I meant to have Boys and Girls.

Reply #288600 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

under 20s boys final will be a great game with eagles beating sturt the last 4 times.

Reply #288605 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 4:17 am, Sat 20 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754