Anonymous
Years ago

Not fair basketball SA!

Western Magics under 14 div3 girls have had a chance to be in the play-offs taken from them by not being able to play round 16 over again(the game against North was stopped at wayville because of rain leaking through the roof 1 minute before half time & they were leading in excess of 20 points at the time).Now at the end of season ladder they have the same amount of points as North but both teams have only 17 games played-the winner of the round had it been replayed would have not only determined which of the 2 go to the play-offs but also who finishes third in the division,currently placed with sturt there. Weirdly enough they are 4th on the ladder,but it says North plays Sturt in the play-offs? Please comment lovers of justice in the game.

Topic #23711 | Report this topic

Juno 15  
Years ago

Funnily enough the chairman of the competition comittee is from North as well!

Reply #287902 | Report this post

Juno 15  
Years ago

And Western have the head to head over North as well. Something fishy.

Reply #287905 | Report this post

Pegs  
Years ago

By laws state that if the game is abandoned and the game time is less than 50% of the allocated time then the game should be rescheduled - 3.17 (a)

Since it affects who gets in finals, the game should have been replayed - or have I missed something?

Reply #287906 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Juno - you have no idea. He removes himself from decisions impacting North.

I suggest you have a look at U20D2's. North have a player who has qualified for the finals as defined by the BY-Laws but with the recent letter from BSA he has been precluded. If the Chairman was involved as you allege then this player would be allowed to play.

On that same point surely By-Laws are what governs the game in SA. Just because they have badly worded the By-Laws so they do not reflect what the intent was then in my mind bad luck. The By-Laws take precedence. I suspect they have no legal people on the committee as I have bounced this off our company's in house lawyer and he agrees - BSA has got it wrong and this player should be allowed to play!

Reply #287911 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I agree Pegs the game should be replayed given its importance.

Juno - North have the head to head over Magic for the two recorded games!!

Reply #287914 | Report this post

Melvin Corpuscle  
Years ago

North have the head to head, so with equal wins % North get the spot. Its a shame the round 16 match couldnt be replayed, but hard to get it rescheduled late in the season. It sucks, but sometimes thems the breaks.

Reply #287915 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Can someone please advise what is the recent letter from BSA that precludes - again getting no info from my club

Reply #287920 | Report this post

Juno 15  
Years ago

Sorry my mistake, North do have head to head, but only on point spread.

If you think that there isn't a you look after me and I'll support you from the competitions committee you are sadly mistaken.

Remember this is the very grup that decided Magic and Torrens Valley wont be allowed into div 1 and div 2. When members of the committee were in the best position to benefit from Magic kids moving clubs. And their entire argument was that they want kids to move clubs to strengthen the weaker clubs.

Plus they do have the powers to grant exemptions, and they have used this power in cases like this to go against the by-laws.

Reply #287921 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Well Juno - all I can say is that they have well and truly over-turned the by-laws to rule against North.

I think you are paranoid or suffer from small club syndrome!! Have you contacted Paul Arnott yet?

Reply #287922 | Report this post

Juno 36  
Years ago

and your point is Juno 15?
BY LAWS DICTATE MOVE ON

Reply #287926 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Can someone please advise what is the recent letter from BSA that precludes - again getting no info from my club

Come on guys - what did it say?

Reply #287928 | Report this post

Juno 15  
Years ago

Yes they have actually.

The by-law states that games should be replayed.

By not replaying this game, they are essentially, giving North the spot in finals and not allowing Magic to have a chance.

And they would have known this the day after round 16 was rained out.

Reply #287929 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"And they would have known this the day after round 16 was rained out."

Really? You think they sit in their offices looking at the possible finals positions of the 14 G 3 grade?

No offence but really.

Reply #287931 | Report this post

Juno 15  
Years ago

Ok,

So what you are saying is that when they decided to NOT replay it, they didn't bother considering that 1 club would be disadvantages by their not following their own by-laws.

So incompetent rather than deliberate?

Reply #287933 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I'm saying they probably didn't replay the game because they had no time to play it.

Maybe you should ask your club secretary to email BSA and ask them the question instead of bitching on here?

Reply #287935 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Juno

If it was so obvious as you profess perhaps you should have raised this sooner rather than later to BSA!

Seems your club let you down...again!!

Reply #287936 | Report this post

Juno 15  
Years ago

anons,

By the time he club worked out that the game mattered, after BSA had put the results up on sportingpulse, it was Monday. BSA then said oops, we dont have time to replay the game now as we have to play on Thursday. Competition committee decides it is North who goes in.

The reason they have the bylaw in the first place, is to stop this sort of thing happening.

It's BSA's stuff up, and nothing a club could have done would have stopped it.

Reply #287938 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Most clubs I would have thought would have worked out the POTENTIAL for this to be a problem at the time, and would've brought it up then in the event of it occurring.

They then, I assume from reading the above posts, applied the correct tie-breakers.

It is extremely unfortunate, and a little unfair on the girls involved - but I would think the club was just as much at fault as BSA.

Reply #287944 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The day the game was played,none of the refs showed up and the game started by letting a Rockets parent who is a ref officiate alone.Conspiracy theorists would say something fishy all along,but the dude was probably one of the best refs all season anyway.Pity it ended like this the two teams always produce a good game against each other,had it been replayed who knows who would have won. Last season the Magic team won the div2 under 12 grand final,before that the div3 against the same Forrestville team that will be most probably in the final again-this year i feel its their year so good luck.Im sure the North team didnt want to advance this way,but look as Ben Cousins tatoo says SUCH IS LIFE!

Reply #287961 | Report this post

anon 13  
Years ago

Again, how is it the clubs fault to expect BSA to adhere to the bye-laws?

Reply #287962 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

anon13 - we are so naive. By-Laws are just general guidelines that can be used if and when required. We now have three teams impacted by BSA not following the by-laws. Any others out there??

Reply #287965 | Report this post

Moses Guthrie  
Years ago

My children are only just starting to play district ball. If Under 14 Div 3 girls causes this much angst ..... heaven help me over the next 12 years. I'm grey already!

Reply #287970 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

Oh Moses, you don't need to worry about grey hair, you'll be as bald as a badger like me soon

Reply #287975 | Report this post

kerfuffle  
Years ago

"We now have three teams impacted by BSA not following the by-laws. Any others out there??"

Adelaide Uni Div 3 mens and Div 4 womens both effected by the poorly written and poorly implemented by laws.

Reply #287990 | Report this post

nutter  
Years ago

sorry kerfuffle but every club got sent an e-mail saying players had to have played 40% of games to be eligible for finals. If that e-mail then wasn't forwarded by the clubs secretary then I believe thats their own fault.

It's unfortunate since the div 3 mens would have taken it out but you should have read you e-mails!!!

Reply #287992 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

the issue nutter is that the 40% rule applies to minor round games. The By law doesn't work where divisions were split. People were working to the definitions included in the By Laws for minor round games only to be told at the last moment- sorry we have it wrong!!

Reply #288039 | Report this post

anon 13  
Years ago

This is what happens when BSA change rules and come up with a totally unworkable competition structure.

We were meant to have some reform, but really have just got some more bandaids that have made the entire structure more difficult for people to understand.

Competitions being split half way through the season.

Competitions with doube bye's.

Regonalised competitions with bigger blowouts.

All have resulted in decreased numbers especially at U10 and U12 levels.

Reply #288044 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Surely the right thing to do is where there is ambiguity or uncertainty in the by-laws the benfit of any doubt must be given to the club or the individual so they are not penalised

Reply #288057 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Am I missing something? AU Div 3 Men played 21 games in the minor rounds, to my calculations that means a player would have had to play 8.4 games (8 with rounding)!!

I havn't look at the full by-law but the e-mail simply said 40% of minor round games didn't say anything about split divisions.

Reply #288077 | Report this post

baby eagle  
Years ago

I am a Forrestville player and this treatment of the Magic team is not fair,we were looking forward to playing them again.But if we come across the Rockets team we will play them not being happy about the way they got there.Why is our div ladder without points&why is Magic 4th but they still don"t make it it the finals?Sorry about our stadium,but i think there was a lot of time left to replay the game again.

Reply #288098 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 8:59 pm, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754