LC
Years ago

World Champs: Boomers vs Angola 2-Sep

Australia's hopes of finishing in the top 4 of Group A and thus avoiding a crossover clash with the USA rests on their ability to overcome Angola tonight at 11:30pm AEST.

Please post any live links in this thread.

Australia who have a 2-2 record that mirrors that of Angola will be looking to put their narrow loss to Serbia behind them, whilst Angola are riding a wave of self-belief after defeating Germany in overtime.

Angola's athleticism may trouble Australia, however if Australia can play good help defence and show some consistency on the offensive end, then the Boomers should win. 'Should win' needs to be converted into 'have won'. Let's hope a no fear aggressive approach is what we see from the Aussies.

Pre-tournament, most people were pencilling in wins against Jordan and Angola, with the must-win game being against Germany in order to secure at least 3rd spot. We went agonisingly close against Argentina and Serbia, but that must-win game is now Angola...

My prediction - Boomers by 7.

If we do win tonight, Slovenia awaits and a shot to make the top 8 and a crack at top 4.

Fingers crossed that the 'right' Boomers team turns up tonight.

Topic #23712 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

They should be able to shut down olimpio and they have no bigs really so it should suit the boomers. Aussies by 14.

Reply #287940 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

point spread is boomers -12.5.............................................................................................................................GET ON IT

Reply #287950 | Report this post

adam  
Years ago

The only thing I can predict with any great certainty is that Angola won't have a blow out win against us. Everything else I can foresee happening: they beat us by a little, we beat them by a little, or we beat them by a lot. Lets hope it is the latter. I think we will win an often close game by about 15, with us leading most of the way. If Australia lose this they pretty much don't deserve to go any further.

I just want to say I think this is a very talented Boomer team who appear shackled somehow..whether through style, or form, or chemistry...it is a real shame because all the pieces are right there. It is frustrating.

Let's just beat Angola convincingly tonight and all will be forgiven.

Reply #287954 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

All the Pieces haha um Bogut!!

Reply #287959 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Slovenia will be a tough task. They beat us in Stankovic Cup final with we had only Maric out where as Slovenia had there leading scorers out Nachbar and Lakovic(Also their captain). I think we have more of a chance against USA then slovenia. USA are small and our fitness transition defence could work effectively. Plus Brett should know there game. Only one problem we wont be able to defend durant because he plays the 4 spot and he is too fast and long for anyone on the boomers who will guard him.

Reply #287960 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"I think we have more of a chance against USA then slovenia" - You must be crazy.

And think you're getting a bit ahead of yourself anyway, we havent made it throught to the next round yet

Reply #287963 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Does anyone know what it used a the tie-breaker if 2 teams end up on the same amount of of wins/losses??

Reply #287964 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

we can't end on a tie breaker as there is 5 games and we are Australia and Angola are both on 2 wins 2 loses

Reply #287966 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

In any case, a tie goes on head to head results, but that will not affect either team in this case.

Reply #287967 | Report this post

Big Ads  
Years ago

We struggled against Jordan who, while not big, were athletic, aggresive and unshackled.

ohh crap that's how Angola play!!!!!I'm still tainted by the 86 world championships.

Please Brownie, let the boys play like there is no tomorrow because it might be all over by Monday or Tuesday morning.

Go Boomers, finish 3rd and go kick Slovenia's arse!!!!!

Reply #287974 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Whats the address for the link, I want to watch!!!!!

Reply #287984 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Pretty sure Zaid Abbaas and Ayman Adais are ligit bigs and I think Zaid could play in the NBA from the numbers he has been putting up in the world champs.

Height Averages
Angola 195cm
Jordan 199cm
Australia 199cm
Serbia 204cm
Germany 201cm
Argentina 198cm

Reply #287985 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Got a good link to watch all games but every time a put a link on here fiba administrators seem to delete the stream. Basketball is not worth paying for and the website i use is great and free.

Reply #287986 | Report this post

DB5  
Years ago

Gave the kiss of death last night, got nothing tonight....

Reply #287989 | Report this post

Big Ads  
Years ago

Sure, but after those two players the Jordan big man stocks drop right off.

We could have thrown Ingles, Barlow, Worthington, Andersen and Maric (all taller than 6'8)at them all at once and Australia could have taken advantage of the mis-match on every offense (not that we did).

My point being we could utilise this advantage over Angola but it might not guarantee a victory.

Reply #287991 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

has ne1 got a stream to watch it on?

Reply #287995 | Report this post

Bballfan  
Years ago

Brown gave em a great spray

Reply #287997 | Report this post

adam  
Years ago

Brett Brown was pretty fired up in that first time out.... and so he should be, average start two TOs

Reply #287998 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Dave andersen?? Sick?

Reply #287999 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

is there a credible reason that gibson starts over newley in the 2 spot?

Reply #288000 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yes. Defense!

Reply #288001 | Report this post

adam  
Years ago

I don't care if they win by 50, right now, with three minutes to go in the first quarter Australia look terrible.

Reply #288002 | Report this post

adam  
Years ago

Australia's offence is the pits, also their perimeter defence is absent. I want my misery to end.

Reply #288003 | Report this post

KAB  
Years ago

0/7 from 3pts - we aren't working hard enough to get an open look.

Reply #288004 | Report this post

jawoi  
Years ago

Boomers playing Netball offense

Reply #288005 | Report this post

adam  
Years ago

1st quarter: 18:15 Angola.

Australia 0-7 for threes.

Reply #288006 | Report this post

Big Ads  
Years ago

Deja vu anyone??

Reply #288007 | Report this post

adam  
Years ago

This is almost unwatchable up until this stage (early second quarter). Australia are stinking up the joint.

Reply #288008 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Is anyone else's feed off fiba choppy? Mine keeps lossing sync every 5 seconds :(

Reply #288009 | Report this post

adam  
Years ago

This is looking very much like the game against Jordan, but we won that one right.

Reply #288010 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

refs r killin us

Reply #288011 | Report this post

Murray  
Years ago

Anyone got a link?? such a bad feed everywhere!!

Reply #288012 | Report this post

adam  
Years ago

Brett Brown keeps prattling on about defence, we need some fricken points.

Reply #288013 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Fox sports 2 or bet360.com register for free

Reply #288014 | Report this post

joshuapending  
Years ago

http://www.atdhe.net/ working very well for me.

Reply #288015 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

pretty pissed that a paid for service can go to shit when the games get critical, good thing we are now in the lead off probably the best break i've seen our team do these champs.

Reply #288016 | Report this post

Big Ads  
Years ago

Finally playing decent ball. 7-0 run to take lead 23 -22.

Reply #288017 | Report this post

Big Ads  
Years ago

Thanks for the link JP

Reply #288018 | Report this post

adam  
Years ago

Three minutes to go til halftime 33:25 Australia

We look better on defence with Patty in the lineup.

Reply #288019 | Report this post

Murray  
Years ago

Dunno whats more annoying. the bad feed or the commentator.

Reply #288021 | Report this post

adam  
Years ago

Australia with a Dix poi (pronounced ala Eurovision) lead at the half 39:29.

Reply #288022 | Report this post

adam  
Years ago

You know everyone bags the commentator, I actually don't mind him.

Reply #288023 | Report this post

Murray  
Years ago

Wanna be internet commentators make me laugh

Reply #288024 | Report this post

Murray  
Years ago

id rather listen to that bitch sing at half time

Reply #288025 | Report this post

adam  
Years ago

What are the Boomers doing on offence? Seriously? They pull on one-on-ones, shoot off balance threes, this is insane. We are just lucky that Angola aren't playing much better....start to flow Australia...it is so staccato.

Reply #288027 | Report this post

Big Ads  
Years ago

Was Brett Brown and AFL coach in a former life. He loves making substitutions.

Conserving energy?

Huge Block by Marto, Barlow super impressed

Reply #288028 | Report this post

JMAC  
Years ago

Martin has been really important for us in the third.
Aussie's can win this by over 20

Reply #288029 | Report this post

JMAC  
Years ago

Martin has been really important for us in the third.
Aussie's can win this by over 20

Reply #288030 | Report this post

Big Ads  
Years ago

Nice. Boomers finish third in Group A. Up by 22 with 5 minutes left.

Reply #288031 | Report this post

JMAC  
Years ago

So Angola will play the US and who will we play????

Reply #288032 | Report this post

Big Ads  
Years ago

Slovenia on late monday or early Tuesday morning.

Reply #288034 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Aussies really need a quality back up point guard and an off guard with some height and class.

Reply #288035 | Report this post

Dr Bullshits  
Years ago

The commentator isnt that bad.
He makes alot of subs becuase theyve just played 4 games in 5 days or so. Thats pretty harsh even for an NBA team.

Reply #288036 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Boomers ended up winning 76-55.

Mills led a well rounded scoring spread by the Boomers with 11, with 9 players scoring 6 or more.

We were 9/29 from 3 point land. We had 18 turnovers. Nielsen and Worthington shot the rock very poorly in this game.

No Angolan scored in double figures.

A win is win, but gee wiz, I just wish we could bring some consistency to the table.

Evey Boomer saw 10 minutes or more with the exception of Baynes who played just 5 minutes, and David Andersen who did not play at all due to the stomach virus that has gone through most of the team.

I know that we are young and are an up and coming team with an international rookie coach, but we just make hard work of the games we should win - it is like we play to the opposition's level but not at our own?

Next up is Slovenia after avoidng the USA. I honestly think we can win this game and would argue both Argentina and Serbia are at a level above them. But considering our inconsistency, who really knows which way it will go.

Reply #288038 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

The commentator is from Eurosport UK and he is the worst basketball commentator I have ever heard. His Eurocup commentary during the year is even more painful.

Reply #288041 | Report this post

aussieboomers4eva  
Years ago

Agreed. The guy is clearly a Sandy Roberts or Bruce McAvaney type 'sports expert' who clearly does not know much if anything about basketball.

There are so many examples of his ineptitude that it's ridiculous but one that sticks out in my memory is from Brett Brown's time out in the first quarter of last night's match.

Brown was upset with the Boomers' lackadaisical effort to start the game, particularly on defence and tore the boys a new one. During his spray, he said something like,"(You allowed Angola) Two three-balls and a lay-up; are you @$*%!# kidding me?"

The commentator then chimed in, saying "Brett Brown is very unhappy with the three-ball...whatever that is!"

Seriously, this guy is being paid; probably well.

Reply #288049 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Basketball Australia recap: http://linky.com.au/uup6j

Reply #288051 | Report this post

Sampsonite  
Years ago

Great for Australian Basketball with their progression hopefully gaining some positive media attention on tonight's 7, 9 & 10 news broadcasts.

Reply #288068 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

It was on ABC TV news this morning, has been and will be throughout the tournament for what it's worth.

Reply #288079 | Report this post

Murray  
Years ago

As far as that game went, our main 3 point shooters had similar 3 point attempts. Its annoying when we get good looks and miss, then the euro teams are shooting the light out down the other end.

The first game against Slovenia in the lead up games we actually hit. That goes along way to betting these teams. Everyone due for a hot night.

lets get behind this!

Reply #288120 | Report this post

adam  
Years ago

I agree with LC, that yes we won the game by 20 odd and Australia got the job done. But this was a pretty poor game for Australia, lucky for us Angola were average (they had 20 TOs and shot 37%). Our offence is stunted for much of the time and then we score in rapid bursts due in large part to our defence causing TO's and easy baskets (that part of Australia's game is fun to watch by the by).

I know I'm a glass half empty type of guy but one really frustrating aspect of the game last night was watching the bench look completely useless in the last five minutes of the game, when the contest had been won. Markovic was particularly bad. I would have loved to have seen our second unit come in and put Angola to the sword but they looked as if they had never even met one another before no offence at all.

Still onward and upward.

Reply #288123 | Report this post

gavmiester  
Years ago

I understand why you would say I wish our second unit had put Angola to the sword, but I was just stoked we got out away with a poor start, escaped any injuries and were able to rest our first 6 players for the last quarter.
The break comes at a good time for us as it gives DA a chance to get over his bug.
We are an even money chance for mine against Slovenia. Hopefully, France pulls out a mircale against Turkey.

Some epic match ups.
Spain vs Greece.
Serbia vs Croatia
Arg vs Braz

Big chance of being blood on the court for this round. Go aus.

Reply #288166 | Report this post

Beantown  
Years ago

Just watching the replay now. Does anyone else think the way Baynes stands there, chin up staring at the flag makes him looks like some mythical national hero out of a WW1 army recruiting pamphlet?

Reply #288187 | Report this post

Years ago

I've got his number if you want it Beantown?

Reply #288219 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 1:57 pm, Sat 20 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754