Isaac
Years ago

NBL season launch and major announcement

The National Basketball League will formally launch the 2010/11 NBL season in Sydney on Monday 13 September and will also be making a major announcement.

One star player and the head coach from each of the nine NBL teams, including Ian Robilliard and Taj McCullough of the Sydney Kings, will be present along with the 2011 NBL Championship trophy.

Both of last season's NBL Grand Final coaches, Rob Beveridge (Perth Wildcats) and Gordie McLeod (Wollongong Hawks), will attend as will Hawks star Larry Davidson and Wildcats guard Damian Martin, who recently returned from the Boomers campaign at the World Championships in Turkey.
New Spalding NBL game ball revealed, all And 1 uniforms revealed and the NBL's 2010/11 advertising campaign.

The event will be at Quay, 'Best Restaurant in Australasia'. The players from each team will be:
Adam Ballinger (Adelaide 36ers), Alex Loughton (Cairns Taipans), Adam Gibson, (Gold Coast Blaze), Wade Helliwell (Melbourne Tigers), Tom Abercrombie (NZ Breakers), Damian Martin (Perth Wildcats), Taj McCullough (Sydney Kings), Russell Hinder, (Townsville Crocodiles), Larry Davidson, (Wollongong Hawks)
Major announcement to be the naming rights sponsor, rumoured on here to be iiNet?

Topic #23763 | Report this topic

ritz  
Years ago

Major announcement, any clues?

I'm just happy with games on FTA...

Reply #288762 | Report this post

TP  
Years ago

I'm loving the fact that they are making some noise about the NBL this year. Bring it on!

Reply #288768 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Get ready for the best year of NBL in a decade!

Reply #288782 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Sydney team - tick
No more salary cap rorting - tick
FTA Coverage - tick
NBL Advertising - tick
Naming Rights Sponsor - tick

Reply #288783 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Bring back a Brisbane team and things will be even better.

Reply #288785 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Currently no negative media - tick

Still need:

- Marquee name(s) from each team + marketing of those faces
- All NBL teams getting out into communities and at grass root level spreading the word

Reply #288794 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Lots of negative minor-media - Eade, etc.

Definitely need more marquee/recognisable players. Damian Martin's a good player and I'm sure the Cats love him, but when he's one of the nine faces of the league, along with Helliwell, etc you have to wonder a bit. (I know that's the reality of the current league.)

Reply #288802 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

It's a fair point, but I think the focus should be more on getting all players out and generating affinity for the team rather than the players - which seems to be happening.

Other sports succeed by creating loyalty for the club so no matter who comes or goes people still support their team.

Over the season though it would be nice to see ONE focus on some young players with some promotion even if just during broadcasts or their weekly show.

There are some exciting young players in the league - Goulding, Abercrombie, Wagstaff, Weigh, Coenraad, Johnson, Nevill, Allen, Cadee, Gibson, M Knight, Khazzouh, D Martin.

Pick the guys who dont have Euro passports and focus on them a bit, perhaps.

Reply #288811 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Reckon they could use Goulding over Gibson in their marketing? Has a more unique and memorable look in the league. Hawks need to get Larry D's mohawk back and then promo him.

Reply #288820 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

No player sex scandal, tick !

Reply #288822 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

And Tragardh over Helliwell in Melbourne. Trigger is a great character who should be used a the sort of goof that many people love. He is still relatively young too.

Michael Cedar in Townsville but they might not want him getting ahead of himself. Thought Stevie Weigh would have been the one for Perth too - athletic, young, handsome etc.

But like I said, it is really just about the teams at the moment for mine.

Reply #288823 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Wow! Just having a quick look through almost 3/4 of the league is 27 or under which is a very young league, and that is a great sign. Amazing to think that Matt Burston is only 27.

Reply #288824 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

people support players, not teams. that's why teams try to sign big name to draw fans to that team. =

Reply #288831 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

I disagree - look at sport around the world and people barrack for teams, usually in their home town, even after players come and go. It is something rugbly league and aussie rules have mastered, and something basketball needs to focus on in my opinion.

Reply #288842 | Report this post

Jacob  
Years ago

"people support players not teams "

What kind of comment is that - so wait did all of clevland now support Miami now .

Reply #288882 | Report this post

Jacob  
Years ago

And also RE - major announcement .
Iinet would be a great pickup by nbl , but could it possibly be about a new team for 2001/2012 season or to early ?

Reply #288883 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Jacob, I hope not - the launch and pre-season stuff should be about 2010/11, not distracting issues with something like Brisbane to join next year. Maybe they'll announce what brand of electric toothbrush players will win for POTW?

Reply #288891 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

what's that about eade isaac?

Reply #288927 | Report this post

mball  
Years ago

I think having one name player per team limits opportunities somewhat, especially if that player is new to the team/back in the country this season. What if this player gets injured and is out for the season? Perhaps use three per team, one veteran, one local and one other - make them household names.

Reply #288928 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Anon, tap me on the shoulder when I've written that joke up on The Roar and I'm plugging it on Twitter 15 times/day. ;)

Reply #288931 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Jacob- you're a joke, those fans who support their hometown will always do so. but those who don't really have a hometown team will just root for the star and follow his respective team.

and HELL yes Lebron took a lot of fans with him GLOBALLY to Miami. when you focus on say 10 players as the stars their team profile goes up with it.

Reply #288949 | Report this post

DJ Rod  
Years ago

LOL @ Isaac!

Reply #288965 | Report this post

DJ  
Years ago

Anon I think you're mixing different situations here.

Australians generally will follow an Australain team and more than likely their hometown team in AFL, NBL, NRL, A-League etc etc. I don't think too many would follow the stars in Australian sports.

Did West Coast fans become Carlton fans when Judd moved? Did Fev fans follow him to Brisbane?

The NBA fans will follow their home town and follow the stars, those that don't have hometown teams will follow stars or perhaps teams they have some sort of connection to - ie first team they see play live, a team a friend or relative supports etc.

Reply #288979 | Report this post

EC  
Years ago

Isaac, I hope they do announce a new electric toothbrush brand. The haven't been awarded for several years and I am sure they are starting to show signs of shaggy heads. New ones desperately needed.

Reply #289042 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

iinet is good, but I hope the sponsor is a bigger name than that. Netball has ANZ, Cricket Australia has Commonwealth, AFL has Toyota/NAB.... A big secure name like that would be good.

Reply #289123 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

2nd biggest isp in the country and part of the market that is expecting massive growth, yeah real small fry.

Reply #289248 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 11:00 am, Sat 20 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754