Isaac
Years ago

Boti: Slashing Sixers a risky business

Boti's article today outlines his suggestions for the club and warns of "marketplace suicide" should BASA slash the 36ERS team budget for the 2005/06 season.

Crowds already are plummetting in one of the NBL's genuine strongholds and they are falling because fans don't want to see a diminishing product while at the same time facing exaggerated, unrealistic prices. Pretty simple really. If the club wants to make a dollar, it has to spend a dollar.

You can find the article here: Slashing Sixers a risky business.
If the BASA decides to penny-pinch on its one major asset, it may as well ditch the "sold out" sandwich-board and find the "gone out of business" sign.

His suggestions include leaving the Dome to the government and then renting it (or the Entertainment Centre) for games, while shifting BASA's reduced staff to an office or venue elsewhere. Your thoughts?

Topic #2378 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

I agree with his comment "you have to spend a dollar to make a dollar!"

The management at sixers need to pull out some pretty big marketing measures if they want to see more bums in seats...

For example: Amp up the advertising,
get brochures / posters / flyers circulating schools / social basketball clubs / as well as the junior teams. Get some big names (outside of basketball) at the game - ie. Lleyton Hewitt.

They also need to offer some discounts for group tickets / family packages.

Need to get some more sponsorship - first time I've ever seen two boxes at the dome "FOR HIRE"!

These are all basic methods - any one else whith other ideas?

Reply #26646 | Report this post

A quick comment  
Years ago

The sooner the better. Create 2 separate entities each with a clear direction and responsibilities. One responsible for the development and administration of the sport in the State, the other an organisation competing in a professional sporting competition.

The sale can be modelled on the Wollongong Hawks where shares were sold to businesses or individuals, so if BASA want to maintain some link they can retain a share.

Reply #26647 | Report this post

Dr Dunkenstein  
Years ago

perhaps it is wishful thinking, but i would like to see BASA authorities re-negotiate the contract they signed when the Power/dome was built. If they could make the govt realise that under the current arrangment (of not having any non-basketball events) at the powerdome then BASA is doomed. If this clause was removed, BASA could lease the powerdome for events similar to the entertainment centre, which in turn would provide significant revenue.

Reply #26660 | Report this post

Izzard  
Years ago

Bring back Mal Simpson on to the Sixers board!

Reply #26679 | Report this post

coach k  
Years ago

Very valid point Dr Dunk. Im sure the Govt. would much rather get something, rather then the nothing they are currently receiving from the loan. Would Mr Rann be tempted with such an offer????

Reply #26707 | Report this post

SKYHOOK  
Years ago

Coach K

re Rann : He might be if there is some TV face time involved ... but since basketball is not a 'limelight' (thanks Isaac) sport ... I DOUBT IT !

Reply #26712 | Report this post

Dr Dunkenstein  
Years ago

All it would take is K.Foley viewing BASA's financials. From how they have been portrayed in the media, they are very dire (20m in debt, 'tiser reported several months back). Maybe next time yogee meets with the big wigs, he could bring this issue up?

If the govt. did agree to let BASA run events at the powerdome, BASA could offer in return 25% of any net profits arising out of the event, to compensate for any lost events to the entertainment centre. With increased competition, it would also make the ent. centre more efficient. The benefits are endless, for basketball and SA.

Reply #26715 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Dr, you know that BASA receive a payment for not holding events at the Dome, right?

BTW, I wonder if anyone from the Sixers has ever invited Mike Rann to a game? It'd be worth a shot!

Reply #26716 | Report this post

coach k  
Years ago

Well said again Kareem. I don't think B Ball is Rann's sport, he seems to have done a pretty good job of jumping on both Port Power and Adelaide United's band wagon!

Reply #26718 | Report this post

Dr Dunkenstein  
Years ago

Isaac, i realise they receive some payment, but i dont know how much. Surely (i assume) they could be 'making' more money if they were able to hold events there. The stadium has several thousands seats, it would be perfect for events to large for the thebby.

Coach k, It would be nice to see the premier supporting basketball.

Reply #26746 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

One side of that argument: If they can't sell tickets to an elimination final, how are they going to sell hosting rights to major events?

Also, what could they make from being able to do that? The payment/concession from the government is $175,000 or more -- you can look it up in the Auditor's report online. If they couldn't top that each year, it wouldn't be worth it.

How far can you take it before the government gets really pissed off with basketball in SA? They helped build the stadium on the grounds that it wouldn't compete with the Entertainment Centre. If they either want to compete or want to vacate the stadium and rent it back much more cheaply, I can't imagine that the government would be loving that!

Reply #26758 | Report this post

yogee  
Years ago

These questions, and more, will be answered when I finally get my report finished from my meeting with management this week.

This is an issue we discussed, so hopefully some of the questiosn will be answered.

I had hoped to have it finished already, but work committments changed that :)

Reply #26777 | Report this post

we ventured into building the dome - when we had a lot less money and in direct opposition to the government's entertainment centre

let's get our act together - but let's not be held responsible for decsions made 15-20 years ago

it's often about a mix of fresh blood and experience

some of the government money handed out to minorities is a joke - let's get on the right side of some grants

Reply #26778 | Report this post

EC  
Years ago

Isaac, it would be a very sad state of affairs if the government got pissed off with basketball or any other sport for that matter. Hundreds of Thousands SA children play basketball. Considering the government is concerned about obesity in children and the effect it will have on the health system in the future, it is in the government's best interest to support all sport so it can continue to provide junior programmes.

Reply #26780 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

In reference to Boti's suggestion that the Sixers at least make an offer to Jason Smith, someone on OzHoops said:

Of course it isn't going to happen, even if Smith was interested in the city the team has basically no players and no coach so what extacly would any free agent be signing up for? The chance to play with Oscar Forman? As the only signed player, that is the only selling point the Sixers have right now.

Hard to argue with that.

Reply #26810 | Report this post

Chopper  
Years ago

It would appear a financial restructure of some sort is paramount to the immediate future of BASA & the Sixers.
Just like any financially delinquent business, at some point the bullet needs to be bitten and creditors (in this case SA Gov.) need to take a "Hit" and find a workable solution moving forward.
If that solution involved BASA switching debt to equity, I am sure many patriotic South Australians would be keen to invest in a stake of the Sixers.

Reply #26833 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 8:17 pm, Wed 24 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754