Steven McTowelie
Years ago

Advice for trip to USA and NBA games

Hey,

I am going to America in 2011 and was wondering if the Bball community had any good advice for me. I am really wondering how I can get courtside for pregame shoot around, do I need to buy pricey seats, just turn up early I have no idea. I heard on the past 36ers organised trip they organised for people to sit courtside for shootaround.

I would also love any advice on good stores that sell Bball stuff, cheap accomodation anything good of note. Going to New York, LA, Vegas, Atlanta and Hawaii.

Thanks

Topic #23786 | Report this topic

just home  
Years ago

speak to any of the lads who went to phoenix the last year or two.

they use this forum and have commented here several times - phoenix had their pics on the suns web page

Reply #289156 | Report this post

SDU  
Years ago

I was on that trip :-) best trip ever

Will post some tips tomorrow - too hard to write much on my iPhone at the mo

Reply #289165 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

In New York, check out airbnb.com or craigslist for private accommodation. I was in NY a couple of years ago and rented a place privately for about 10 days. In LA, I've recently stayed in a private apartment and a cheap hotel, both times in Beverly Hills and both were fine. The hotel was cheaper and less hassle, though not particularly charming - look up Rodeway Inn (I think it was called). Probably US$89+tax? Use priceline.com, hotelbookingpro.com, etc to find deals. Tripadvisor.com can give you a decent indication of what's good, but doesn't cover every single option.

In Vegas, I stayed at the Encore and Palazzo - both are excellent, but book ahead to avoid paying full price (second night at Encore was going to be US$700-800 so we shifted to Palazzo (around US$250). Do the Bellagio buffet for lunch (if you get the offer to eat at the bar, do that to skip the line). The Bank (in Bellagio) was a decent club but look out for ways to skip the line and halve or avoid the cover charge (US$40 a few weeks ago). The cheaper hotels are still absolutely fine so you could go cheap on the accommodation and spend up on food/drink instead.

For car rental, I rented twice with National in August and they were great.

If you want any more info, yell out. The August trip covered LA, San Diego, Phoenix, Seattle, Portland and San Fran (plus various national parks) - though it wasn't basketball season so besides the NBA store in NYC (which you'd already know about), I can't help there.

Reply #289167 | Report this post

Coopz  
Years ago

Hitting up the NBA store tomorrow, Can't Wait! heard great things.

Reply #289176 | Report this post

thedoctor  
Years ago

NBA store is great, but I'd have a pre-determined budget if I were you! Can get a bit out of control.

I bought courtside seats through Coast to Coast tickets and they weren't ridiculously expensive. The pre-game shoot-around allowed you to get pretty close for photos etc, without having courtside tickets.

For the game, I'd say the courtsides were worth the money. Have a look on-line - you can get the tickets delivered to your hotel or to Australia - you've got plenty of time.

Reply #289186 | Report this post

Steven McTowelie  
Years ago

Thanks for the advice, just ordered courtside seats for the Bulls at Clippers through Coast to Coast cant wait.

Reply #289352 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

do a thread search bro, i remember reading some real good tips from the guys who went on the phoenix trip last year.

Reply #289395 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 8:00 pm, Thu 25 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754