Anonymous
Years ago

36ers Size/Ballinger Issue

The Sixers are currently hopelessly undersized. The only "centres" we have are Dowdell and Johnson, and neither is starting 5 quality at the moment. This means that in the two pre season games we've had so far Ballinger has had to spend most of his time at centre. As has been mentioned before, this will not work. Its beyond stupid wasting our best players skills by playing him out of position. Firstly, why did the Sixers go so guard heavy and sign barely any bigs when putting together the roster! Secondly, surely we need to replace Herbert with a big. Possibly Pero. As long as its a centre or at least a power forward rather than adding yet another guard to the lineup. If we keep going like this into the regular season Ballinger won’t be anywhere near as effective as he should and could be and we will get destroyed by the taller teams.

Topic #23787 | Report this topic

The Journo  
Years ago

Adelaide have to replace Herbert with a 4/5 man, like Motteram or a player like that.

Winder/Carter
DeVries/Ng
Holmes/Hill
Ballinger/Dowdell
Johnson/???????

Reply #289157 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Exactly. Motteram would be great. Not liking this talk of Bruce returning to fill in for Herbert. While he's a very good player we need a centre not another guard!

Reply #289159 | Report this post

XztatiK  
Years ago

We don't need another average centre who isn't any better than DJ and Dowdell, that doesn't improve us at all and only forces Holmes out of PF/C minutes. Either we get a starting quality big man or there's no point and we can't get a starting quality C on 6pts. As I said in the other thread, a PG isn't a good fit either, even if AB is the best player available. We should take the best SF we can get, whoever that may be. The team balance was fine with Herbie.

The 3 options:

Johnson(15), Mottram(15), Dowdell(5), Holmes(5)
Ballinger(35), Holmes(5)
Hill(20), DeVries(10), Holmes(10)
DeVries(15), Ng(20), Winder(5)
Winder(25), Carter(10)

Johnson(20), Holmes(15), Dowdell(5)
Ballinger(35), Holmes(5)
Hill(20), DeVries(20)
DeVries(5), Ng(20), Winder(15)
Winder(15), Bruce(15), Carter(10)

Johnson(20), Holmes(15), Dowdell(5)
Ballinger(35), Holmes(5)
Hill(20), SF(10), DeVries(10)
DeVries(15), Ng(20), Winder(5)
Winder(25), Carter(15)

(Change Holmes' centre minutes to Ballinger if you think that's more realistic but like most I prefer Jake defending the opposition C)

I'll take option 3 every day of the week. It's just a matter of finding a capable SF...

Reply #289162 | Report this post

XztatiK  
Years ago

Rhys should be on 15mins in option 1 obviously.

Reply #289163 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Gee we have won one game and lost one by a single shot. In both games we won the boards. Yet the good old hoops posters are already baying for blood. Hawks this week will be a better indicator of where the bigs sit in relation to other teams

Reply #289164 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

Wot about Sam Harris?

Reply #289169 | Report this post

Elite  
Years ago

Whats Adrian Mastrovich up to ? ;-)

Reply #289171 | Report this post

Moses Guthrie  
Years ago

I'm not saying anything other than ..... good times, good times.

Reply #289178 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

Too much hair!

Reply #289180 | Report this post

No Deal!!  
Years ago

Whats the thoughts on Holmes starting at SF? Maybe not quick enough but i'd still back him in to guard most SF's in the league. I'd be happy with Mottram or Vanderjadt if Clarke went with something like this:

Johnson(20)/Mottram(10)/Balls(10)
Balls(25)/Holmes(10)/Dowdell(5)
Holmes(15)/Hill(15)/Devries(10)
Devries(20)/Ng(15)/Winder(5)
Winder(25)/Carter(15)

Reply #289183 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

Last year I was being trulucent about Adrien Sturt.
Anyways - we do look a little short against Sam Harris, but I forgot they are re-surfacing centre court this a.m. (new 3point line and key) - so I couldn't watch him agen.

Reply #289185 | Report this post

SRT070  
Years ago

so can someone tell me, will we have a replacement for Herbie before the season starts?

also if Herbie recovers well and is looking fit, are we going to keep him next season? or is that too hard to tell?

Reply #289188 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Ditch DeVries sign Nick Horvath maybe michael harrison, demarshay johnson, rick rickert, antoine tisby. All are decent centres and putting up good numbers in the nzbl. Preferably Rickert or Tisby would be first options.

Reply #289190 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

How quickly has Vanderjagt disappeared from discussion?

Bradshaw, Frank, Vanderjagt, anyone other Cs around?

Reply #289192 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Frank was actually quite impressive for the tallblacks.

Reply #289195 | Report this post

The Messiah  
Years ago

I was going to say the same thing as anonymous poster #289164. We played against one of the biggest sides in the NBL next season and we won the boards, what is the problem here? I think DJ honestly should be getting more minutes from the Boxscore and Ballinger needs to average more than 6 shots per game and we are all good. It would be great to get a decent sf but I don't know too many that are out there.
It would be good to see Bruce in a Sixers uniform but where does he fit in? We have Winder running the point and Rhys backing him up. Unless you move Winder to the 2 spot and DeVries to the 3 I don't see him fitting into this group.
My guess is they will just bring Sam Harris into the group.

Reply #289196 | Report this post

Spinner  
Years ago

What's Paul Rees doing? :-)

Reply #289202 | Report this post

Tornado  
Years ago

I just got an email/newsletter from the Sixers stating they had 8 points to fill Herbies position with. Surely we could pick up a decent player (if we have the money) for 8 points. Questions is, who at 8 points is available and Australian?

Reply #289213 | Report this post

Big Sexy  
Years ago

Got the same email, which opens up a few options, I think Isaac mentioned Bradshaw who is currently ranked a 9 but could request to be re-ranked (lots of stories about his lack of work ethic). Another player is Luke Kendall who is ranked a 7, hard worker but depends about his recovery from injury. Liam Rush is ranked 9 and is also got a contract in Sweden.

Reply #289218 | Report this post

No Deal!!  
Years ago

I'm just looking through the player ratings list and I don't know that we are going to have too many options...I'd be happy with Kendall if he's healthy. Otherwise i think we will have to look at one of Vanderjadt,Frank, Cooper who are all rated at 5 points or Mottram at 6. Wonder if Pero Cameron could fit?? I mean if he can get away from the buffet long enough to get on court.

Reply #289221 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Boti mentions them having six points to work with:

The 36ers have just six player points with which to operate, most likely eliminating back-up Boomers point guard Steven Markovic from the equation.

Reply #289222 | Report this post

Big Sexy  
Years ago

Isaac, I would think the club would know how many points they have more than Boti. It all depends how many points are imports are, without them we sit on 50 points

Reply #289225 | Report this post

xztatik  
Years ago

I'd take Kendall over a big man. Rush would be awesome obviously but that won't happen.

Reply #289226 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Imports would be 10 each. I think DeVries would've been out of the league too long to take a previous value. If the limit is 70 and Herbert's a six, then we have six points.

Might be wrong in this case, but I would take Boti's number (writing in something that goes through an editorial process and with the ability to edit the online document) before the club's number (newsletter, can't be modified once it's sent, etc). Not speaking ill of their mathematical abilities, but I can just see one of them adding it all up in their head and slipping up slightly?

(If the club are wrong, remember that this is just a number from one person in a newsletter. I'm sure their internal discussions and plans are using the correct number either way.)

Or there may be a deduction that someone's not taking into account.

Reply #289231 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Haven't redone your calculations, but the cap is indeed 70:

e) For the 2010/11 NBL Season, the NBL Board and NBLPA have determined the TTP will be 70 points per club.

Reply #289232 | Report this post

The Messiah  
Years ago

According to the Player Points rankings on the NBL website...
Adam Ballinger 10
Jacob Holmes 7
Darren Ng 7
Nathan Herbert 6
Daniel Johnson 6
Rhys Carter 5
Brad Hill 6
Jeff Dowdell 4

Assuming both imports are 10 which they should be..
Winder 10
DeVries 10

Does that not equate to 71???

Reply #289234 | Report this post

Big Sexy  
Years ago

Isaac, I was thinking the deduction thing as well but all our local players have left and come back so there would be no deductions I wouldn't think.

Reply #289236 | Report this post

Big Sexy  
Years ago

Messiah Brad Hill is a 5 not a 6 as on your list.

Reply #289237 | Report this post

Big Sexy  
Years ago

Isaac if you look at some of the points for players last season they have Kevin Lisch rated as a 9 (very similar player to DeVries) and there is not much hype around Winder (no NBA experience, no real pro experience and played for a good college but didn't get much playing time). So that possible both be 9's. I wish the NBL would be out a current players list and not just players from last year.

Reply #289238 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Adelaide need a BIG period. This business of us winning the boards, is just another case of the stats lying a little. In no way have the 6ers been able to dominate for long stretches...add some height and it helps at both ends. Marty should have followed through with sigining Schenscher... shoulda coulda woulda i know i know, but id take Schenscher over Devries in relation to what we need. Now its time to get whats left. Sadly we will need to take a mediocre big over perhaps a decent small, purely because we are loaded as it is IMO.

Reply #289244 | Report this post

Hendo8888  
Years ago

I had a hunch that we had at least 7 points left.
Didn't think Devries would be a 10.
Doesn't really make a difference if Winder is a 10 or a 9 as there's no 8s available.
I think Ben Knight could be a good fit in this team.
Kendall too as a bit of a like for like for Herbert.
If Johnson takes a bit of time to get going, it would be handy to have Knight there to fill in the starting Centre position.
There should be no excuse to play Ballinger at C with a 3 man rotation of Knight, Johnson and Dowdell.

Could also fill 2 needs by bringing in Frank and Harris if we wanted to go down that road, but I'd rather 1 worthwhile player than 2 pretty useless ones.

Reply #289253 | Report this post

No Deal!!  
Years ago

I had a look through the list of player point ratings, and to the best of my knowledge, these are the guys who are available who are rated between 6-3 points:

John Rillie (Retired?)
David Cooper
Greg Vanderjadt
Casey Frank
Pero Cameron
Kelvin Robertson
Tyson Demos
Dwayne Vale
Pero Vasiljevic (Gold Coast?)
Neil Mottram
Martin Iti
Zarryon Fereti

Anyone know of any other who might be targeted??

Reply #289255 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Winder is a new import so is instantly a 10.

Ben Knight is signed to Sydney, isn't he?

Reply #289256 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Enjoy relying on Dowdell and Johnston.

Reply #289259 | Report this post

Real Fan  
Years ago

Anon 259

We will, you are my hero trying to talk us down!!!
I am guessing you are a retard from Victoria? correct?

Reply #289260 | Report this post

Jonno  
Years ago

Another couple of names i have thought of are Chris Cameron and Simon Conn, both big guys who seem to be nbl level from seabl form, i definatly think we need a big to split the minutes with Johnson, then Dowdell can play the PF/SF rotation.

Reply #289263 | Report this post

xztatik  
Years ago

Yep Knight signed. Demos signed too but I forgot where.

I'd be content with Dwayne Vale. Solid defender and ok shooter. Only because of the lack of quality alternatives. Easily take him over a big. Tovey would be handy right now, he should've spent longer in retirement.

Reply #289265 | Report this post

Statman  
Years ago

Demos is signed at Wollongong
Pero V is signed with Gold Coast
Knight with Sydney

If your looking for a C then Vandy is far and away the best optin available and would benefit greatly from a coach who would work with him to develop his game.

Reply #289270 | Report this post

To REAL FAN, as a bloke from the old school where hanging shit on your mates is almost the only form of communication, your use of the word retard seriously crosses the line. Some things are rightly considered to be sacrosanct ( ask someone to help you with that word). Interestingly enough I recently had reason to talk to my 13 year old son about the use of that word and the hurt it causes both the individuals and their families who are in that situation. He now gets it. Clearly you dont! Perhaps you need the same talk with your Dad. Next time consider the use of words such as tool, immature, thoughtless, cruel, judgemental, etc. Any of these ring a bell? You also introduced the Vic vs SA thing. At this stage Vics are now up by one. Thanks for that.

Reply #289297 | Report this post

XztatiK  
Years ago

Jesus calm down!

You need to know when to take the literal meaning of the word and when not to. The word "retard" has become like "gay" in that sense whether you like it or not. And I know this doesn't make it right, but Real Fan certainly isn't the only person using the word in that context nowadays.

BTW, SA is still leading the Vics by about 13549 even if you just gave them a point.

Reply #289298 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

You consider it overly PC, but Prisoner has their point - both 'retard' or 'gay' should be avoided. Yes, both are pretty commonplace (though that's no reason to continue) and it's easy to stumble without thinking, but please make the effort. I've been pulled up for one or both in the past on this forum and fair enough.

Reply #289316 | Report this post

Real Fan  
Years ago

Point taken and fair enough.
It is very hard to find an appropriate adjective to describe anonymous posters that continually want to drag threads down to the gutter!

Reply #289323 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

can we please elevate sam harris to our team or sign another centre/power foward to replace herbert! im sending out an SOS to the SOS!!! im tired of seeing an undersized every year for some unknown reason!!!

Reply #289332 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

undersized team*

Reply #289333 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

This thread is a bit misleading I thought it was about the nudey run the sixers had to do for getting the wooden spoon.

Reply #289353 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I actually like Balls at the 5.

Ballinger
Holmes
DeVries
Winder
Carter

Reply #289354 | Report this post

Thank you Isaac and Real Fan. I am not remotely PC but there are a couple of expressions in common usage that i struggle with, that is one of them.

Reply #289355 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Don't forget perth are very small aswell!

Reply #289400 | Report this post

Big Sexy  
Years ago

Back on the points, i just tweeted the club and they have been told they have 8 points available (I am assuming that would be the NBL that told them)

Reply #289415 | Report this post

XztatiK  
Years ago

Haaahahahahahahaha ohhhh great call. Vertically challenged actually ;)

Reply #289470 | Report this post

verse intellectually challenged

Reply #289493 | Report this post

Jonno  
Years ago

Its a pity you can never plan for injuries before they happen or we could of snapped up Pero V to replace Herbert before recomending him to the Blaze.
He would have been perfect, a tough big man, who is athletic, and from SA, would definatly have helped our size issue and meant Ballinger could play purely PF.

Anyway i hope we get a big guy, hopefully with some decent experience, we seem to have plenty of points to sign someone like Mottram, Vanderjagt, Rice, Cameron, Frank, or even McGregor (not really a C but i remember him filling in ok there for Syd years ago) or take a chance on someone like Iti or Conn.

Many options my preference is Mottram or Vanderjagt if we go a big, which i hope they do.

Reply #289513 | Report this post

MAD  
Years ago

Mottram or Vanderjagt although they have size are overated, need to go for a solid big in the state leagues who can develop or be a late bloomer instead of always going for old talent. Look what happens when teams take a chance on someone like Petrie from solid SEABL player to in the Boomer Squad.

Reply #289515 | Report this post

No Deal!!  
Years ago

I would normally agree with you MAD but I think we are already doing that with Dowdell and we have another young big in Johnson...if we are definately going for a big a bit of experience from a Motts or Vandy type wouldn't go astray.

Reply #289524 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 2:39 am, Wed 17 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754