interested
Years ago

ABL to 27 games rumour

I really hope that the rumours the ABL goes to 27 games next year are true. It would be great, and would give the players and coaches a bit more to train for from Nov-March. Mid week at Wayville would be amazing, but i guess they will look at the dome first unfortunately.

Topic #23855 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

22 first then if that works go to 27. 18 to 27 will put too much of a strain on already stretched volunteer resources.

Reply #289904 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

plus also youth league which will pick up a lot of ABL players

Reply #289905 | Report this post

Rhea_Gorld  
Years ago

Why the need to change?

Means a longer season which cuts into NBL, WNBL and makes everybody who volunteers, coaches and plays do more.

Reply #289909 | Report this post

Rhino  
Years ago

How do they expect clubs to pay players with the salary cap being so low already, increasing the games would make it impossible to keep good players in the league. If they increase the amount of games then the salary cap would also need to increase...

Reply #289915 | Report this post

DaddyO  
Years ago

#905 Will players prefer Youth League over ABL? I would have thought that bench minutes in front of 100 people at ABL would rank ahead of playing a full game in front of 20 parents & friends on Tuesday night. Wouldn't think that there would be too many NBL players in YL either.

As for the longer season, what's the benefit? Spectator numbers per game are likely to drop with a longer season, costs go up and juniors get slugged more to prop up an unviable competition.

The season can't go longer either end if NBL/WNBL players are going to be involved, so the extra games would have to be double headers (which a lot of players hate) or mid week.

If there is a change to 22 rounds, wait for the complaints about the draw, because one club would get a third game against top four sides, another would get a third game against bottom four sides.

Reply #289916 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

There are a lot of U23's in ABL teams - Sturt has at least 4 of which 3 were starters.

I am confident other clubs have many as well

Reply #289917 | Report this post

eddie expert  
Years ago

ah the poor babies, cant play more games cos its too hard wah wah wah, dont play then, surely someone else will want to, and stop expecting thousands of dollars a season, if you wanted to get paid to play you should have worked harder as a kid and made it as a pro!!

Reply #289918 | Report this post

Jake  
Years ago

Keep unchanged IMO.

Reply #289919 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

ahhh eddie - I think I would rather play youth league - at least in that comp I wouldn't need to run at half pace so all you elderly citizens can keep up!!

Is there any truth that they are now thinking of a seniors comp so all you old guys over 30 can be kept in the game!!

Reply #289920 | Report this post

rocket  
Years ago

I think the extra 9 games would be great if held mid-week in a multi-game format.i.e. Wed night 5 women's games at one of Starplex/Pasadena/Morphett Vale/Wayville each week (rotating venues) and, say, Thursday night ditto for men. This would happen 9 of the 18 weeks of minor round play (rather than double headers on weekends) and provide a lot more sense of identity for the ABA, in my opinion.
The club volunteers would have a lot more people attending their home venue for the maybe 2 times it happens at their venue (but there will need to be a way to compensate the other clubs outside of these venues.)
Food for thought?

Reply #289923 | Report this post

Rhea_Gorld  
Years ago

What about those teams that train Wednesday nights? Because they are students who work Thursday nigths?

May suit some, but not all.

Reply #289924 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Thankyou rocket for talking some sense. In response to the above mentioned negatives: too long season- the season would not be longer, the games could be mid week as rocket suggested and 5 games played at the same venue, to minimise the toll on club volunteers.
Bigger salary cap: no. Same cap. More games, less trainings. Won't be many complaints from players there.
What about teams that have training wednesday nights? Ah, you don't have training, you have a game.
I think a lift to 27 games would be fantastic!! 18 games is not enough for a ABL competition. The 9 mid-week games would be a different atmosphere at a common venue, and I know heaps of players that would love to hang around and watch other games.

Reply #289929 | Report this post

Fisher89  
Years ago

Who is happy with the standard across the board in the ABA when it comes to the umpiring?

If the season was to be increased to 27 games then get ready for the existing standard to drop!

But then Mark Hubbard would have thought about the officials.......

Reply #289931 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Ah, I think the standard if anything would improve. It would be the same umpires, ad they would improve from more regular games. That is common sense.

Reply #289933 | Report this post

MP  
Years ago

Agree anon, more games into young referees = better referees.

Reply #289935 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The umps who are average now will just get worse with more games and the better more experienced ones will not want more games to do so the outcome would be more scatter brained cash starved umps doing as many games as they can cram in.

Pay umps $50 a game for Div 1 and a hundred for ABl games. Rather than muzzle comments about ref performances, welcome it.Sack the useless ones and get a REAL ref development program off the ground.

Too many refs with affiliations in the younger group can't distinguish between loyalty to an old club, old boy friend or girlfriend, their sister etc and the role their job as an unbiased official demands.

Reply #289943 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

And cue the ref bashing...

Reply #289948 | Report this post

rocket  
Years ago

Can Anonymous 1 and Anonymous 2 please re-label themselves so the rest of us can see it's not the same person being hypocritical? (or is it?) ...
let alone 'anon' every now and then....

Reply #289963 | Report this post

eddie expert  
Years ago

i thought this was an ABL forum not a ref bashing forum.

would be interesting to see how it would work, seeing as they have put limits on the number of games players can play, for instance an under 23 player could play tuesday U23, wednesday ABL and saturday ABL, that would mean no div 2 for him on on monday night.

so if this is going to go ahead, can see the demise of the senior comp coming quickly

Reply #289975 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I also worry about the coaching of juniors - many coaches are ABL players and this is another impost on their time

Reply #289982 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

How is wanting to pay refs more and throwing out incompetent ones ref bashing...

Reply #289986 | Report this post

eddie expert  
Years ago

get over the refs, or get a whistle of your own and do it yourself, then you can comment on them

Reply #289989 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If they went to 27 games and mid week games, my club is one who will be looking for a statistician, and we dont have enough as it is.

The current season is long enough for my committment, and I would not be able to commit to a longer season. I am sure that I am not the only club volunteer who would be in the same boat.

Reply #290059 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

guess you would count many of the scorers in that too.

Reply #290060 | Report this post

hydra93  
Years ago

Midweek game at Hillcrest/Starplex/Morphett Vale? Great if you happen to live at the other end of town. A 2 hour trip play a game -probably after 9:00 and then repeat it on the homeward leg. Too bad if you have a job?

Reply #290301 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 10:26 am, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754