Isaac
Years ago

Breakers press conference re Penney 'opportunity'

Breakers have called a media conference for tomorrow at 12:30PM NZ time to "address an opportunity for shooting guard Kirk Penney"
Will he stay or will he go?

Topic #23868 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Since they are holding a press conference about it im gonna throw it out there and say an NBA team has picked him up!!!

Reply #290008 | Report this post

No Deal!!  
Years ago

Definately deserves another crack at the NBA.

Reply #290009 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Given the announcement - consider his bags packed already!

Reply #290011 | Report this post

Big Sexy  
Years ago

My guess is Penney has been invited to training camp and the Breakers will let him go and give the NBA a shot but if he does not get a gig he will return to the team.

Reply #290012 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Euro?

Reply #290013 | Report this post

Mr bEn  
Years ago

He's gone for sure.

I don't think any sensisble person expected him to stay in the NBL following his blistering WC performance. At worst he would've been offered a solid Euro gig.

Reply #290014 | Report this post

Big Marty  
Years ago

Good going if he can grab an NBA; however players of his Calibre have been raising the bar for the league; always a shame to lose that sort of talent, especially on the first FTA season.

Reply #290015 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Wont be Euro I dont think - no out clause and not a great deal of interest from Kirk to go back. He has said it has to be a guaranteed contract from the NBA for him to go - no 'try-out'. Hope he has got it.

Worthington just tweeted a change is in the air so maybe he is headed to NZ?

Reply #290017 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

Penney has been offered a chance to trial with the Spurs, that is official. Watching him live on Deaker on Sport over here in NZ. :)

Reply #290019 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Perfect team for Kirk. Spurs have all those woeful d-league players in that spot Gee,Temple,Hairston(released Now),Jerrells. But have also picked up James Anderson.

Reply #290020 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

great news, good luck kirk!

Reply #290021 | Report this post

TR  
Years ago

There goes the no 2 pick in the Hoops Fantasy League

Reply #290025 | Report this post

Jake  
Years ago

TR is there a hoops fantasy league this year?

Reply #290031 | Report this post

XztatiK  
Years ago

Hahaha TR, I'm holding on to my waiver pick for dear life if there's any chance of him returning mid-year.

Reply #290037 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I assume Lindsay Tait steps in while Penney is trialled. He is currently training with the Breakers isnt he? Was good at the world champs.

Reply #290038 | Report this post

orbit  
Years ago

Why does Penney get a try out with Spurs & none of the Aussie guys? Brett Brown should be more active one would think. Imagine how good Mills could be if training with Parker & Ginobli every day.

Reply #290040 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Maybe brown realizes that Mills is undersized and overated? Sure there is potential there but he is so far from being ready to play at the highest level it's not funny

Reply #290042 | Report this post

thedoctor  
Years ago

orbit - it's not up to Brett Brown to benefit Boomers players through his Spurs role. If a player is good enough, they will get an opportunity.

I didn't see any of the Boomers players averaging 25+ points a game at the WC's

Reply #290043 | Report this post

TR  
Years ago

Yes there is Jake, you need to speak with Skip

Reply #290044 | Report this post

Big Sexy  
Years ago

Orbit,
I am pretty sure Mills is attending the Portland's training camp

Reply #290047 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

No Patty looks like he wont be attending portlands training camp because he is yet to sign a qualifiying offer from the team. I wouldn't sign either if i was him, i mean you have Andre Miller, J.Bayless, Armon Johnson and probably Wes Mathews plays SG and Roy to PG.

I think he should go for the spurs really pursue their team. Surely he's better then Curtis Jerrels another team is Washington looking for PG.

Reply #290052 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

Re Patty: He is Australian, so naturally you guys want him to play NBA. That doesn't mean he is good enough though. Don't let your bias get the best of you.

Chris Jerells averaged 17 ppg in his senior year at Baylor. He went up against the likes of Texas, Kansas, KSU, Purdue, WSU while at Baylor.

Have to remember that Mills/Saint Marys were/are in the WCC and he went up against the likes of Portland, San Diego, San Francisco, Pepperdine and Santa Clara who are, lets be honest, all mid-major schools. The only constantly ranked opponents that Mills went up against were Gonzaga.

When scouts are evaluating players, the strength of opposition is a major factor. Scouts want to see consistent performances as well, so his 20 point outburst against the USA followed by a series of not inspiring international performances hurt his chances.

Reply #290057 | Report this post

Nutwork  
Years ago

MACDUB, so Aaron Bruce should be in the NBA?

SEASON TEAM MIN PTS REB AST TO A/T STL
2004-2005 BAY 34.8 18.2 2.6 3.8 3.0 1.25

Reply #290061 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

Aaron Bruce didn't make it to the NBA because his size and skill wouldn't translate into the NBA style.

He was a 6"3 guard at Baylor. With that size one would have assumed that he would have been a
PG? Well at Baylor he averaged 3.07 assists per game over his career. NBA teams didn't see his playmaking ability and his ability to control a team. Assist to TO ratio was 1.2; furthermore, he wasn't quick enough to play the 1 spot at the NBA level.

next option? playing as a 2 guard in the NBA..
Wouldn't have worked as he was undersized and lacked the quickness to cover taller, quicker and athletic shooting guards. (the average height of the NBA SG would be 6".5 - 6.6)

So there you go, he put up good stats but his lack of size and lack of pg skills and quickness meant he didn't really fit the mould of either an NBA PG or SG.

Lets not forget that his ppg avg of 18.2 was in his freshman year. The growing injuries and decline of his production to 8.4ppg in his senior year meant teams didn't really want to take a risk

Reply #290096 | Report this post

mystro  
Years ago

Europe is not an option for Penney, he has been there done that. It's either the NBA or the NBL.
I hope he makes the Spurs. Be sad to loose him from the Breakers but watching him shoot treys in the big league would more than make up for it.

Good luck Kirk.

Reply #290144 | Report this post

bball fan  
Years ago

I thought this post was about Penny not Mills.....

Although, MACDUB - I am a big Mills fan but you do make some good points.

Reply #290208 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

6 players going for 4 spots

http://linky.com.au/pxtae

Reply #290264 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Penney was a DNP today against Miami.

Reply #291667 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 8:43 am, Fri 19 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754