skip
Years ago

Rumour - Worthington returning to the NBL

Wortho has apparently just tweeted 'A change is in the air' and the Ozhoops boards are talking him up as possibly heading to Cairns.

On a day where the league may be losing a quality player in Penney, it would be good to have another return.

Topic #23874 | Report this topic

Isaac  
Years ago

There's a stuff.co.nz article suggesting he's close to a deal with Cairns, but the Breakers would have a lot of money to spare if Penney makes it with the Spurs (likely, IMO).

If he went to the Breakers, you'd have to feel for the Taipans!

Reply #290062 | Report this post

SVD  
Years ago

*cough* 36ers *cough*

Reply #290063 | Report this post

Big Marty  
Years ago

That would be a good signing for Adelaide. The finances say we can't afford him though.

Reply #290065 | Report this post

Oberon 17  
Years ago

What's all the Fuss about money, lets sign him ;)

Reply #290066 | Report this post

TR  
Years ago

Hello number 2 pick in the Hoops Fantasy League....

Reply #290067 | Report this post

skip  
Years ago

HAHA TR. Who do you think Bizzy is taking at #1?

Would the Breakers sign him even though Penney could be back in just a few weeks?

Reply #290070 | Report this post

Illicit  
Years ago

Wortho always kills it at the dome, he's torn the 6ers apart everytime he plays at the dome, if moneys the problems I'll chip in a lil extra per week to get him as a 6er lol

Reply #290077 | Report this post

TR  
Years ago

Bizzy will go with Balls.....

If he doesn't, Balls will not slip to 3rd..

Reply #290078 | Report this post

Big Sexy  
Years ago

Illicit, if money is not the problem then points will be Worthington is a 10 and we only have 8. Even if we try to get him downgraded (unlikely) it will only be to a 9

Reply #290082 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Doubt Worthington would get downgraded to a 9 - he was a top-five player in the league last time he was here.

If the Breakers drop below $7 on this Penney news, I would suggest considering a bet - unlike Cairns (might be a chance - never know), NZ would suddenly have $250k or more to spare. They could still play Braswell and Bruton as guards with one of Abercrombie, Vukona, Worthington or the second import off the bench.

Reply #290084 | Report this post

Jake  
Years ago

Adelaide should look as Wortho to replace Herbie.

Reply #290091 | Report this post

SRT070  
Years ago

the only other problem with the money issue is that id like the team to be around next season. If we buy wortho we will be as bad as bullets or kings when they went under. Sos wouldnt allow it

Reply #290094 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Jake, it wouldn't be possible due to either cap. Cairns are replacing a 10-point import, and NZ would be replacing a 10-point, big-money player.

Reply #290095 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

NZ will bring in Tait, and wait and see with Penney.
They still have a playoff team.

Wilkinson
Vukona
Abercrombie
Bruton
Braswell

Pledger
Anthony
Boucher
Tait
Webster
Henare

Reply #290097 | Report this post

xztatik  
Years ago

Whatever you do Wortho. Please... pleeeeease do not sign with anyone before Sunday 9am!

Just quietly I don't think that's a top 4 team without Penney, anon.

Might go put some cash on Cairns for the title...

Reply #290115 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

NZ FTW

Reply #290119 | Report this post

Capt. Dan  
Years ago

Well I heard from a close friend who works with the Kings, that Wortho's return could be with them.
With Luke Cooper injured for the start of the season we have enough points plus money to sign him on a minimum deal for a year, and he can choose to re-sign as he pleases at years end! Like I said im not 100% sure if this is right!

Reply #290130 | Report this post

mystro  
Years ago

if Penney heads to the Spurs I'd be more than happy to have Worthington at the Breakers as a replacement.
The guy can flat out play ball and would be an asset to any Team in the league.

Reply #290138 | Report this post

The Special One  
Years ago

as nice as it would be to have worthington as a 36ers player it just wont happen. I would rather have Ingles or Newley

Reply #290159 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Keep dreaming sixers fans WAKE UP! you have 8 points! No matter who you get you will come last. Dont know why you people have so much spirit in your team. They needed to start fresh they pretty much re-signed all the same players and a has been import who never got the razorbacks off the bottom of the ladder. Sure if they were in the top 4 then re-sign most of your core but if you get the wooden spoon no. Go Kings!

Reply #290163 | Report this post

SRT070  
Years ago

^LOL clearly someone who is ill informed. Anon, please explain how we have 'resigned almost the same team'?? over 50% of the team is gone, how is that not fresh? just because you finish bottom doesnt mean everyone on the team was crap. Cortez gone, Gilchrist gone, burston gone, cooper gone, Molitor gone, Ninnis gone. not sure how that looks to you but your well and truly of the mark if you think they resigned pretty much the entire same team.

Reply #290165 | Report this post

xztatik  
Years ago

Shiiiiit I hate the Kings already.

Guarantee you we will finish above you numbnut.

Reply #290169 | Report this post

mystro  
Years ago

Yeah and the Sydney Kings look like Title material lol, enjoy your rocks and glass house Anon

Reply #290170 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Boti says the Breakers will sign Worthington as Penney's replacement and if he fails to make the Spurs team he'll come back to the Breakers and they'll release that new import. Gary Wilkinson I think his name is.

Reply #290177 | Report this post

mystro  
Years ago

if Penney doesn't make the Spurs and Worthington was on board at the Breakers they would have an outstanding team. Not sure if I would release Wilkinson though over Braswell as it would leave only Pledger with any height inside but Braswell was such a huge part of that winning streak at the end of last season, hard decisions at Breakers HQ over the next couple of weeks. Either way my priority would be Worthingtons signature and deal with the rest later.

Wilkinson/Pledger
Vukona/Boucher
Worthington/Abercrombie
Bruton/Webster
Braswell/Henare

^ Looks very capable of winning games

After recent form, you would have to believe that Penney is going to make the Spurs roster.

Reply #290229 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Least we have a decent Centre unlike sixers who have two SEABL rated centres. McCollough my boy can play he's not even showcasing his skills yet and Damien Ryan man he can shoot and hopefully Aaron Bruce comes in for Luke Martin. Khazzouh is flat out the best Centre in the competition! Awesome shot blocker! Awesome Rebounder! Awesome Player! No one from the sixers will be able to guard him! sixers have no athletism no wonder why you guys were winning with Hodge and willie farley they are atheletic and its what the sixers miss and they will have the wooden spoon its already a done deal $100 on it.

Reply #290240 | Report this post

XztatiK  
Years ago

"sixers have no athletism no wonder why you guys were winning with Hodge"

:|

Reply #290319 | Report this post

shano  
Years ago

If Anon is so confident then why wont he/she put their name to it? I am confident 6ers will finish above the kings and it would be nice to know this poster to remind them of their gloomy predictions. we will be better than ppl think. go 6ers!!

Reply #290322 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Don't feed the troll guys.

Reply #290324 | Report this post

mystro  
Years ago

According to www.stuff.co.nz the Breakers have backed of Worthington to instead play a waiting game with Sean Marks to see if he will get a contract with the Wizards.
Apparently the Breakers will use the three weeks Penney is with the Spurs to assess the roster they have already. Looking to see Tom Abercrombie's readiness to step into a leading role and they will also trial Wellington’s Leon Henry, a talented swingman with an improving game.
It’s understood the club will announce Henry’s addition to their roster tomorrow and will use the pre-season to see his suitability for the step up in level.
However, Marks could yet be the wildcard. The 35-year-old former North Shore native has had a 10-year NBA career and is currently with the Washington Wizards and hoping to make their final roster through training camp.
The veteran big man (10years in the NBA)has indicated to the Breakers the idea of closing out his career back where he grew up appeals to him. But it’s only something he would consider once his NBA career was over.
That moment could be upon Marks now, depending on how things work out with the Wizards. And with his wife due to give birth in early November, the timing could yet work out for the Breakers to lure him home in time to make a meaningful contribution to this season.

Not sure I like the sitting round waiting option, while other teams scramble to get a quality player like Worthington onto their roster NZ could miss out and end up short in the bucket department come this season

Reply #290329 | Report this post

mystro  
Years ago

Looks like Worthington is not far away from playing for the Blaze this coming season.
Was apparently about to sign with the Breakers until they cooled off and decided that they wanted to wait for Sean Marks to see if he landed an NBA contract as stated earlier in the thread. Worthington also fielded offers from other NBL clubs as well as a Serbian and a German team.
If Marks fails to secure an NBA contract he has indicated that he would like to finish his playing career back at home with the Breakers. Marks would be an awesome signing, 10years experience in the NBA says a lot about his game. Would love to see him and Penney and Bruton play together with Vukona and Abercrombie, be a tough match up for any team.

Reply #290536 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 11:00 am, Fri 19 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754