Jack Toft
Years ago

2010 AFL Grand Final

Here we go!
By all accounts there is a footy grand final on this weekend. St Kilda take on Collingwood in front of what will be an absolutely packed MCG stadium. Some will be fans dressed in all manner of red, black and white frantically waving banners, scarfs and all sorts of stuff, others will be national sales execs of major sponsors out to press the flesh and be seen while they dine on their lobsters and prawns in corporate boxes, and sip Yarra Valley Sav blancs. Who won?

Collingwood go in as favourites against the Saints and if you believe the hype, should be victorious by around ten goals. Saints have accepted the underdog status with pleasure and look for an upset win. There is no doubt Collingwood is the glamour pinup side of the AFL and the side people love to hate. Saints have had their chances over the years and boasted some top sides, but have been the perennial McGyvers - they see a lot of action, but never quite get the girl.

Obviously the key players for Collingwood are Swan, Pendelebury, Thomas and Didak. Saints rely on Riewoldt, Montagna, Hayes and Del Santo.

AFL is an "offensive" game. That is, you frenetically score as many goals as you can. Scoring wise, the full forward line of the Saints has netted 128 goals for the season, 56 across the HF, 40 from the Centres and 22 from the Followers. Collingwood's full forward line only 76, but 81 from HF, 42 from centres and a massive 55 from the followers. That says to me that the Saints rely on driving the ball in long to a marking contest, with Collingwood going for the running goal option.

Defensively is where the Saints win their games. I think they are the top defensive team in the league and will need to bottle things up and prevent the Collingwood run to have any chance. OMG there will be some tackling boys and the bruises will show.

Collingwood should win, but anything can happen in a GF. Think back to '89 when Yeates took out Dermot - what a sight! Wouldn't it be terrible if a Pies player went down in similar fashion.

All I know for sure if that with all those Collingwood fans in one spot, the average IQ outside the stadium should be a lot higher for the day.

Topic #23877 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

haha well said

Reply #290102 | Report this post

Flinders80  
Years ago

Very biaised view but Saints 15

Reply #290105 | Report this post

Chewy  
Years ago

Go the Pies!

Reply #290111 | Report this post

xztatik  
Years ago

Hahaha great preview JT!

We drove down to Melbs today and are looking forward to seeing that disgusting scum buried by the Saints on Saturday.

GO YOU SAINTERS!!!

Reply #290113 | Report this post

Jake  
Years ago

Great preview!

I'd like to see the Sainters get over the line. Baker recall to shut down Didak is a good start. Collingwood are very even all over the park and with Dal Santo and Gram underdone Collingwood will win by 25 points with Swan winning Norm Smith. Leigh Brown to kick first goal - get on him!

Reply #290114 | Report this post

xztatik  
Years ago

Will be interesting to see if Bakes does get Didak. Jones has killed him in the past but that would allow him to stick to Pendles. Very good move bringing him in for McEvoy IMO. Kosi will suffice against Leigh Brown as backup ruck.

Reply #290116 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Go Pies!

Reply #290127 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Kossi might not play...

Reply #290133 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Kosi apparently has broken ribs sustained in last weekend's win over the Doggies!

Reply #290145 | Report this post

DB5  
Years ago

Nice write up JT, although I do not think anything based around Collingwood has been called "glamour" before..lol

That said, I never thought that I would see the day that I was cheering for St Kilda, but here we are...

Reply #290157 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

Just look at the cheer squad

Reply #290158 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I wouldn't be putting money on brown for first goal when he's named to start on the bench

Reply #290160 | Report this post

xztatik  
Years ago

All ths shops in Melbs have run out of Saints scarves from all the 'neutrals' buying them. Luckily we found some eventually :D

Grand Final parade was good apart from all the scumbag Collingwood deros. Nice to see they let Pendles bring his girlfriend on the ute.

Reply #290172 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Everyone is now a Saints supporter, go you Saints!

Reply #290180 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I swear, i tipped a draw :X

Reply #290246 | Report this post

Moses Guthrie  
Years ago

Unblvbl. Saints to start favourites for the replay. Damn they looked good in the end. First BG's big mark and then Maxwell in return and then the bounce, as the ball goes the wrong way for Milne in the goal square.

One word: Wow.

Reply #290247 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Aaarghhhh! What a game!

Collingwood nearly snatched a win from the jaws of defeat after leading all game, and then nearly lost it before it ended in a draw.

I'm not too sure that St Kilda will start fav...

Reply #290254 | Report this post

Oden08  
Years ago

I'm not sure Saints will start favourite either but the betting will be much closer!

There will be an interesting difference between bets on GF vs bets for the flag. I assume all GF bets (other than a draw) would be losers but those who have bets for AFL winner still have valid tickets for next week.

Reply #290262 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Collllingwoood collllingwooood what a brilliant chant go the pies next week!!!!!!!!

Reply #290281 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

A game for the fans and members perhaps? Less corporate tickets and more members - 100,000 plus again and n even louder crowd!

Reply #290298 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 3:04 am, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754