Anonymous
Years ago

Sturts 25 years of the best

Being older than 25 years means I can truly remember who played for the mighty Blues/Pioneers/Sabre's

This line-up would hurt NBL Sides

Phil Smythe (Olympian)
Brett Maher (Olympian)
Ian Davies (Top Scorer Moscow Olympics)
Bill Jones (US Import)
Jacob Holmes (Sturt Junior until returning from the AIS)
Graham Kubank (NBL Captain and Sturt Junior until entering AIS)
Dean Kinsmen (36er Captain)
Steve Johansen (Club record games holder)
Sam Krupsky (US man mountain)

And the 10th spot, (thats wright cause in the good old days there was only five on the bench)
Choose between
David Smythe
Karl Luke
Michael Rule
Oscar Foreman
Mal Penno
Paul Hyland
Jason Williams
Carlson
Paul Bauer
Bruce Govig
Bruce Kucera
Matt Reece
Martin Barmentloo

Coach: Steve Johansen / Neil Gliddon / Dean Kinsmen

Topic #2389 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

OOps! You can also add Brad Hill to the list. (Sturt Junior before AIS)

Reply #26771 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

when did ian davies play for sturt?

and it is smyth without the E as any good sturt person should know

Reply #26789 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Ian Davies played for Sturt 1980 / 81. Both Neil Gliddon and possibly Rod Bauer were coaches. Both years they lost the final to West Adelaide by small margins. But it was Wests NBL team they met in the final. And Sorry Ill never spell Smyth with an 'e'again. Im sorry I went to Daws Road High School, I thinks thats why they had to change their name, so they could bury their mistakes.

Reply #26805 | Report this post

Yeah!  
Years ago

I'm sorry but Orlando Phillips and Matt Illman would have to be a chance!

Reply #26812 | Report this post

STIP  
Years ago

I was beginning to wonder when someone from Sturt would start another "we are the greatest" thread!

Reply #26840 | Report this post

Forbes 500  
Years ago

Didnt Butch hayes play a few Bank SA game back in the day? for the Sabers

Reply #26841 | Report this post

STIP  
Years ago

I reckon if they walked through the door of any stadium remotely related to Sturt, claim them!

Reply #26862 | Report this post

flatshot  
Years ago

what about the white US import of about 10-15 years ago played 4 or 5 spot. Cant think of his name but he was a professional guy.

Reply #26925 | Report this post

Scott Whitmore  
Years ago

Jeff Bickmore (their best ever American)
Mike Rule
Dean Matthews
Tom James Martin
Wade Hampton

I'd be surprised if Tom doesnt have the club record for games played.

They lost Ben Osborne, Travis Leaver and Robbie Hocking as juniors, they could had been a shot if they had stayed.

Reply #26949 | Report this post

Scott Whitmore  
Years ago

Surely Kendi Romain is a crack at the womens team

Reply #26951 | Report this post

Mix Master Wipe  
Years ago

What happend to Paul Bauers NBL career with Adeliade?
I remember he used to score big for sturt in the ABL,I thought he didnt really get a chance with the sixers.
Maybe he made a few comment that pissed phil off!

Reply #26999 | Report this post

Forbes 500  
Years ago

Well he may have not been good enough for the NBL? As he is the Sixers team manager now? Some players just cannot make that next step from gun ABA player to NBL quality

Reply #27000 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

I think he was good enough, maybe got stuck behind other guards, looked for another opportunity interstate that didn't work out and things didn't really fall his way from there. A shame IMO because I remember watching him get a few minutes backing up Brett when I was younger. Still, a shrewd guy and an asset to any club whether playing or not.

Reply #27044 | Report this post

just me  
Years ago

isnt neil still coaching the club

Reply #27271 | Report this post

joe mayo  
Years ago

i thought robbie hocking was originally a woodville junior?

Reply #27300 | Report this post

Cat in the Hat  
Years ago

Robbie Hocking was actually a Forestville junior originally, but he did also play for Woodville.

Reply #27310 | Report this post

Sam Krupsky  
Years ago

Thanks, who ever you are! I am very flattered to be considered in such great company. Playing for Sturt was a true honor and I met some very, very classy people.

Reply #29951 | Report this post

Ken Williams  
Years ago

I heard that Ken Edick (U.S. IMPORT)was one of Sturt's great threats back in the mid 70's. Ken Edick, the Smyth brother's, Steve Jo.,and Sam Krupsky, won over Gary Fox and Team, when no other team could. Ken was also a great asset to South Australia, in being so competitive he changed teams, when changing teams was unheard of, from Sturt to South Adelaide. It pissed people off and made headlines, however, it made teams more competitive. Ken was number one, two or three in South Australia, in scoring and rebounding, during the six years he played.

From what I understanding he will always remember the boys he sweat with and the mountains they climbed.

Kenny Williams

Reply #30048 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It was a pleasure to mention you Sam. As a kid I was a big fan, I still remember seeing you in rundle mall one day and thinking of getting your autograph but as I approached I noticed you were holding a firearm and standing outside an armoured vehicle. I lacked courage.

Reply #30060 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Sam to be honest a bloke your size doesnt need a gun

Reply #30061 | Report this post

Izzard  
Years ago

Sam, I still remember you dropping your shorts at a ref - I think it was Greg Love. Hilarious

Reply #30069 | Report this post

kym  
Years ago

what about graig hocking, darren breeding, paul neville, nick coleman scott and kym bayliss

Reply #188485 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 7:05 pm, Sat 20 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754