Isaac
Years ago

Worthington considered playing in Adelaide

Poised to sign last week with New Zealand before the Breakers dropped out to pursue Kiwi-born NBA power forward Sean Marks, Worthington said the prospect of three years in Adelaide had been the most exciting of the opportunities his agent had brought to him.

He subsequently signed with Gold Coast and yesterday was en route to Darwin to join the Blaze in their NBL pre-season Top End Challenge games..

"I love a challenge and Adelaide would have been good," he said.

"It's one of my favourite places to play and I definitely saw it as a challenge. But the 36ers dropped out of talks about a week ago."
Full article

Shame the timing wasn't a little better. Good to know that Adelaide is a viable free agent target though.

If you wanted to speculate (and I haven't heard anything about this at all - just guessing), you might wonder if the 36ers entertained drastic options to get this level of player into the team. e.g., shift a player to a back-up position out of the ten to free up cap space?

Topic #23912 | Report this topic

SRT070  
Years ago

yeh i just read that. if we got wortho i think we would have been set. but as you said Isaac its good for the future reference atleast so next season it could be an option. interesting how Marty Clarke knew nothing about this, wonder what thats about.

Reply #290653 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

I think the point of distinction might've been in the three year deal, not that Clarke knew nothing about any of it. He did say that they'd talked.

Reply #290654 | Report this post

Ballinger Fan  
Years ago

Interesting that the article goes into a lot of detail about the fact that we only have 6 points to spend.

Worthington is a 10, so some sort of drastic reshuffle would have been required, if it was really on, and not just his agent using us as a bargaining chip with the Gold Coast.

Reply #290655 | Report this post

Big Sexy  
Years ago

Ballinger Fan, in Boti's article he did point out that he was assuming that both of our unrated imports are 10 points.

Reply #290663 | Report this post

SRT070  
Years ago

well maybe next season we can have a reshuffle and include worthington. I think we would have alot more potential that way of getting a few more flags up on the rafters

Reply #290667 | Report this post

Jonno  
Years ago

wow, he would have been a great signing, but would have probably come down to points/$$$ available, the blaze were willing to cut davison so would have most likely had alot more $$ available than the 36ers without cutting one of our imports.

From a points perspective i think i have read we have 8 available so we may have been able to let go either say Hill or Dowdell along witw Herbert being out and grab Wortho and a cheaper player such as Daly or a college returnee id guess we would have 1-3 points available. Part of me wish they did do this, and this may have been considered.

What would people prefer
Wortho + a rookie (eg Tom Daly)
or
a 6-8 point player + Hill or Dowdell?

Tough decision and i can understand why they didnt (a) from a loyalty point of view cutting a decent young player before the season even starts especially someone like Hill who has been around for years,

(b) the fact Wortho could quite easily have gone to Europe next year and they may in the long run be better off with a 8 point player who sticks around and not cutting anyone.

Personally if you could guarantee Wortho would stay the 3years i would have made the change and got him, but the $$$ is also a big issue and id be fairly sure the Blaze would have out bidded us as Davisons contract would be bigger than Herberts you would think.

Reply #290668 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

WOW having Worthington in the team makes the legit. Right now they're a bunch of little guys playing against big men.

I still don't see how we can compete with front courts of Tigers (Nevill, Helliwell, Burston, Tragardh), Townsville (Allen, Hinder, Schenscher), even Perth (Knight, Wagstaff, Redhage), Cairns (Crosswhite, Loughton, Rychart), Gold Coast (Worthington, Maye, Petrie, Hoare) and Sydney (Khazzouh, Janev, Grizzard, Knight, Dann) look better on paper then Ballinger, Johnson, Holmes & Dowdell.

What I found most interesting was the fact Clarke knew nothing of the 3 year offer which Worthington said was on offer. Sounds like once again the front office is picking the team not the coaching staff.

Reply #290681 | Report this post

Bobby Tables  
Years ago

Are imports automatically 10 if they haven't played here before?

If Winder and DeVries were both 8, we'd probably be able to fit him under the points cap. While I'm not a Worthington fan, I wouldn't have been against the idea, there is only one player I would have never accepted in an Adelaide uniform and he's now retired.

Reply #290683 | Report this post

Bobby Tables  
Years ago

Oh and to be clear I know DeVries has played in Aus before, I was just mentioning that if he was 8 (let's be honest, it was 2 years ago) aswell as Winder we'd be able to fit Worthington.

Reply #290684 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

I think new imports are automatically a 10.

Reply #290685 | Report this post

Jake  
Years ago

If that is the case Isaac IMO the NBL needs to review the 'automatic' 10 point rule for imports. If a club wants to go with a budget import they should not be penalised. From what I can see there is not much inconsistency with some of the ratings between players.

Reply #290715 | Report this post

DJ  
Years ago

If a club goes for a budget import or a bench import which some have done in the past there is a process to get players points reviewed.

Reply #290796 | Report this post

KB3  
Years ago

Ty McKee was budget last year and most likely would have won the league MVP price doesn't automatically equate to quality

Reply #290803 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

i dont know that you can do what ppl are saying...every import would start on the bench for the first 30 seconds if it meant getting them as a 8 or 9 and be on the court...

Reply #290805 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 9:06 pm, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754