36ers
Years ago

36ers confirm Mitch Creek signing

?

The Adelaide 36ers have secured the services of one of the most promising young talents in Australian basketball, 18 year old, Mitch Creek.

Creek has been signed to replace the injured Nathan Herbert this season and has committed to the 36ers for a further year as well.

The AIS scholarship holder has proven that he is more than capable of playing at an NBL level with his international success in the last 12 months. His high standard of play culminating in his MVP award at this years Albert Schweitzer Tournament in Germany. The Albert Schweitzer Tournament is for international players under the age of 18 and features many players touted as future NBA stars.

The added benefit of this signing for the 36ers is that Creek is rated a 1 point player under the NBL's player points system.

Creek promises to bring raw athletic talent to the 36ers squad and fans can expect to see some highlights from Mitch this year as he does enjoy "playing above the rim"

In a twist to this signing the 36ers will still need to seek a player in the short term for their 10 man roster.

Creek has undergone successful ankle surgery last Tuesday and has been immediately placed on injury waivers by the 36ers. It is expected he will miss the first 6 games of the 2010 iiNet Championship.

The 36ers expect his arrival in Adelaide within 4 weeks upon completion of his surgery rehabilitation

Mitch Creek facts:
Born: April 1992
Native State: Victoria
Position: Small Forward
Height: 6”6

Vision:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yZPm4fNItvw&feature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S3LfOUdOVg4&feature=related

?

?

Topic #23951 | Report this topic

SRT070  
Years ago

i really want to see how this Mitch Creek thing is going to work out. sounds promising but actions speak louder than words.

Reply #291152 | Report this post

interested  
Years ago

Perhaps someone in the know could tell us if this means he is no longer eligible for the Emus team for the U19 World champs next year. If not, it will be a blow to the team.

Another interesting issue is the U20 Nationals next Feb. Is he eligible? and if so does he play for Vic or is he now a South Aussie?

Reply #291153 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Of course he can still represent his Country at a Junior level.

His involvement in Under 20 Nationals would be up to him and the club but I'd expect him to miss it.

Reply #291156 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

NBL Link: http://linky.com.au/dk47n

Now that he will be playing NBL, I doubt he will play for Victoria in the U20 Nationals (just because he will be playing for Adelaide does not make him a South Australian!). He is still able to play if he wanted to and the club allowed him to.

As he has a birthday on 27-Apr-1992, he will therefore still be able to play at the U19 WC's by my reckoning - if I have interpreted things correctly. I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong.

Adelaide have picked up a fine young talent, who if given an opportunity could be the next big thing in the NBL.

Reply #291157 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

LC if he was allowed to play Under 20 Nationals he could now play for either Victoria or SA.

While I very much doubt a Victoria would willingly put on a SA singlet, the choice would be his once he moves and 'lives' in SA.

Reply #291159 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ru4tXJAjvTw&feature=related

Reply #291162 | Report this post

Ballinger Fan  
Years ago

Shame he could not be signed for more than 2 years, because at the end of his contract his points value gets re-rated.
In Mitch's case i would suggest significantly re-rated.

Reply #291168 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Thanks for the clarification on the rules for U20 nationals...

Agree with the 2 year contract comment, however after that timeframe he may end up heading overseas in any case.

Reply #291170 | Report this post

The Brad  
Years ago

Just like to point out the breaking news I reprted back in July... ;)
http://www.hoops.com.au/forum/23439-sam-harris-to-36ers-28training-player29/

Reply #291177 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Yep - we know & good work!

Reply #291186 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

The 36ers have said that Mitch has chosen to wear #23 - great expectations!

Reply #291197 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"In a twist to this signing the 36ers will still need to seek a player in the short term for their 10-man roster."

Better get someone soon... a big man hopefully?!

Reply #291201 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I'd expect Harris to line up as 10th man until Creek is fit.

Reply #291205 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

they now have enough points for an 11-man roster, 7 to spare in fact.

Reply #291208 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

5 points to spare..

Reply #291214 | Report this post

Moses Guthrie  
Years ago

Time for the NBL to do something bold with their points system. If you have 5 points to spare, you get a 5 point headstart at every game. Seems reasonable to me.

In news just at hand, the Western Magic have entered a team in the NBL. They'll get a 60-point headstart and I for one, will watch. Could be interesting.

Reply #291254 | Report this post

Sixer Boy  
Years ago

Wasn't Jacob Holmes MVP of Albert Switzer (Spelling??) Tournament as well?

Reply #291284 | Report this post

KingJames  
Years ago

I don't think he was MVP but he was in the All-World 5. Correct me if I am wrong.

Reply #291292 | Report this post

Moses Guthrie  
Years ago

From memory, Oscar won MVP, not Jacob. Isaac could confirm this .....

Reply #291568 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Moses, you might be thinking of the Staunton Medal instead?

Reply #291666 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Sixers have 8 points to spare. 2 with Herbert in the roster.

Reply #291671 | Report this post

basketball taxi  
Years ago

I have heard he has been selected in the U/20 Vic team which was finalised yesterday.

Reply #291673 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Maybe, but he has just had anlke surgery.

Reply #291762 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 10:08 pm, Thu 18 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754