Big Sexy
Years ago

Will/Should the sixers sign another player

Even though I am happy with the Mitch Creek signing, we still have (from what I know) 7 points available. Should the sixers sign another player (maybe someone like Luke Kendall)? This will lead to us having 11 contracted players meaning someone would have to miss out every game. And before people start chucking Harris' name out I was thinking of a player that could contribute to the team. Or do you think it might be more beneficial to save the points just in case we get another injury and hopefully be able to lure and European based player?

Topic #23975 | Report this topic

Hendo8888  
Years ago

I'd say money would have a big thing to do with it.
Creek's contract would be pretty comparable to Herbert's I'd say, so we wouldn't have a hell of a lot left to spend.
Obviously Kendall would add to our list, but most of the others who are available at the moment won't really give us an upgrade on what we have.

All we really need is a good rebounding centre, but that isn't really available. Harris is a downgrade on what we have, so giving him minutes will make us worse than not having him at all.

There must be a reason why Kendall doesn't have a contract, surely he would be worth having at the majority of the teams in the NBL. Has he priced himself out of the league? Or is his attitude bad? Or do the teams just not think he'll be a good fit?

If Worthington really was that interested in coming here, I would have thought we'd be prepared to release Dowdell to bring him in. Would have been nice if we didn't talk up Vasiljevic to the Blaze and he was available to sign.

Reply #291552 | Report this post

Ballinger Fan  
Years ago

Save the points.

Reply #291553 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Mitch creek won't be playing for months

Reply #291560 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Man im sick of hearing that finances are the issue all the time! It costs money to MAKE money....ie spend more to make the team as good as humanly possible, and the educated fans of Adelaide will come...and SOS will make money.

Reply #291564 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

od, it's not the SOS group bitchin about $$...it's intergeekballers on a forum...

Reply #291565 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Well its the SOS guys NOT spending the money on guys like Worthington.

Reply #291566 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

maybe it's the coach who isn't into that type of player, but fans who just like players and want them..

i think the team is alright, not super, but get along and listen to Clarke and you will hear him say he's not out to kill it all this year...

I certainly have and if u search utube u might hear him say it on there too...

Reply #291569 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Clarke will achieve something if he helps the Sixers to avoid the wooden spoon again.

Unfortunately at this point in time we're probably the favourites to 'win' it again.

Reply #291572 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

Can the 6ers even get Kendell? My understanding would be that he is a 8 or 9? Isaac, can you confirm what points value he is given.

Reply #291578 | Report this post

Ballinger Fan  
Years ago

NBL website lists Kendall as a 7,
but the last thing we need is another guard.

Reply #291579 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Some money has to be kept under the cap in case they need to swap imports or the value of the Aussie dollar dives and increases how much they are paying imports. Having said that, the AUS at the moment is like a god send for NBL clubs and if it stays this way for a while will greatly help clubs' bottom lines.

Reply #291583 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

At the season launch on Friday night, the main guys were there plus Herbert (Creek still interstate I think - didn't see him), Harris, Daly and Jan Warbout (the other development player maybe?).

Tracy Yorke and Paul Arnott were introduced as technical-type assists to Clarke and Radford - cutting tape, etc.

Reply #291589 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

We only have 5 points left.

Reply #291594 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

7 points apparently.

Reply #291600 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Sixers are looking for a fill in player to play whilst Creek is recovering from surgery.
6-8 weeks only

Reply #291604 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Where did the 7 points come from? If you add up the players, it is definately 5 points left.

Reply #291608 | Report this post

Jake  
Years ago

In some ways I can see what the 36ers are trying to do - establish a young core and let them develop and grow togther. The problem I see with this strategy is that Balls is in his prime and we should really be pushing for a ring now so surrounding him with established players. An example would have been the recruitment of Scenscher over DJ. DJ might take a few years to come on in that time Balls may not be the player he currently is.

The NBL is a league that once young players gain experience e.g Creek, DJ etc they will be off over seas or to another club. It is not like the afl how you can build your club up with kids from the draft.

Reply #291621 | Report this post

Big Sexy  
Years ago

Anon, After Herbie went down I asked the sixers how many points do we have available (as there was much discussion) and was told by the club "We have be told we have 8 points available" I am assuming they were told by the NBL. From this I would guess that DeVries is only rated an 8 which is not that uncommon as a few imports have been rated 8's.

Reply #291649 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

8 points to spare is correct. 2 with Herbert in the roster

Reply #291672 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

There will be 7 left with Creek on the roster. Sixers can sign an 11th player if they wish.

Reply #291676 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Creek isn't on the roster. There are 8 points left

Reply #291679 | Report this post

SixerFan  
Years ago

Creek will be completeing his schooling and doing rehab on his ankle at AIS before he joins the 36ers

Seems we can get another player but wonder if it matters?

Reply #291688 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Sixers knew exactly what was happening with Creeks injury and are tring to find a chort term replacement gor him

Reply #291761 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 10:56 pm, Thu 18 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754