aussieboomers4eva
Years ago

Ogilvy and Jawai debut in Europe

With Matt Nielsen and David Andersen much closer to the end of their careers than the beginning, it is pleasing to see that some of our most promising young bigs are beginning their own paths to redemption in a confident manner.

AJ Ogilvy has begun his professional career for Turkish side Besiktas with two Eurocup wins scoring 23pts and 17pts and averaging 8 boards.

Meanwhile, Nathan Jawai debuted for Partizan Belgrade in a tight loss 78-79 to Buducnost. Jawai contributed 12pts and 5 boards in 22mins.

It's fair to say that these two players have had a good share of blows to their confidence in the last two years. Let us hope that they both continue to play well and develop in Europe. I will be watching with great interest.

Topic #23986 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yea true but not a bad blow to be earning over 1.5Mill a yr tax free in Europe!

Reply #291683 | Report this post

hmmmm  
Years ago

where did you read 1.5mil?

Reply #291686 | Report this post

Beantown  
Years ago

Thanks for the info AB4EVA, lets hope these two can have good a season in Europe to rebuild their confidence. Both have talent, but need to find the right situation to develop their skills.

Reply #291689 | Report this post

aussieboomers4eva  
Years ago

Agreed Beantown. I think both players are in great places to do just that, particularly Jawai. It's no secret that the greatest concern for Jawai is his fitness. Last season Aleks Maric played 57 games for Partizan Belgrade and if Jawai remains uninjured, that schedule alone should chisel him into an Adonis. Let's hope it plays out that way.

Reply #291690 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Thanks AB4EVA. I've been a bit busy at work these past few weeks.

Very good start for AJ, and promising signs for Jawai.

Totally agree about both clubs being greats fits for each of the big fella's. If Jawai does not put in the work at Partizan, he will not play, but because of their workload, he could come out of this season the fittest he has probably ever been.

Reply #291700 | Report this post

:)  
Years ago

Rumor is jawai is 125kg looking good.... hopefully he can come out really fit from there.. all the best nate

Reply #291763 | Report this post

Japorms  
Years ago

NBA is confidence killer to many not their own.

Reply #291772 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

AB4EVA - lets start a "Europe Watch" thread that we can post the results and performances of the Aussies plying their trade in Europe. Tghat way all their results are in the one spot and it stops multiple threads throughout the season...

Reply #291779 | Report this post

aussieboomers4eva  
Years ago

That's a good idea anon, however I myself do not have the relentless tenacity required to regularly update such a post myself. I usually only post when I think there is something particularly notable that no-one else has yet posted.

On that note, it is probably worth mentioning Joe Ingles' outstanding play to begin the season for CB Granada in the ACB. Although his side have lost both of their opening matches, Joe himself has been strong with a 17pt 2rb 5as 3st game vs Valencia, followed by a 25pt 5rb 5as 3st game against Barcelona, the same team that beat the Lakers last week. The latter performance was perilously close to taking out ACB player of the week honours for week 2.

Reply #291787 | Report this post

aussieboomers4eva  
Years ago

Sorry LC, for some reason your post came up as anon on my computer. You are of course one whose energies would be able to pull off such a post. If you start it, I will be there in spades.

Reply #291788 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

I'll get one underway soon...:)

Reply #291793 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Reply #291686, thats the money that NBA fringe players can get in Europe. If its not that it'd be very, very close. Also when they state their salaries there they dont include tax. Tax is calculated seperately, paid for by the employer.

Reply #291796 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

I would say Jawai would be on more than Ogilvy, as Nate is at a more powerful club. Partizan dont pay the money that some of the other top Euroleague clubs do though, hence why their squad from last year got almost completely pilfered.

Reply #291802 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Joe Ingles has had a big start with his club as well this season, from memory having a 25 point, 5 rebound, 5 assists, 3 steal outburst

Reply #291823 | Report this post

aussieboomers4eva  
Years ago

Thanks for the scoop ;)

Reply #291830 | Report this post

Anonimus  
Years ago

Jawai has to improve his fitness or he will be in problem with Partizan, they want player who can play 40 min. Partizan has expected a more than Jawai has showed and he is lucky that old Coach Vujosevic is now in CSKA or Jawai will be already in Australia.

Reply #294727 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 11:34 pm, Thu 25 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754