billo
Years ago

Bogut v Longley

If my memory serves me correctly Luc went at number 4 in the draft many years ago. Bogut is expected to go 4 or above, maybe (hopefully) number 1. Does anyone recall what sort of stats Luc was posting at uni of New Mexico? He must have been doing some pretty impressive things in college to go at 4 in the draft, or was he seen more as a project player waiting to blossom?

Longley's got a few inches on Bogut, but from what I can gather Bogut has achieved so much more in his 2 years at college than Luc ever did (in college). Here's hoping he can pick up at least rings in the show.

Topic #2399 | Report this topic

joshuapending  
Years ago

you also have to think of how deep the draft is in each of the years, And what team need.

Reply #26878 | Report this post

Stella Artois  
Years ago

Longley went at 7

Reply #26891 | Report this post

TR  
Years ago

Luc was taken with the 7th pick in the 1991 draft.

I can't see Bogut getting selected any lower the 5 and this is definately worst case scenario. I'm thinking 1 or 2, and at the outside 3. Currently Utah hold the 5th projected pick on current records.

Luc's career college totals (4 years) were 13.4 points per game (in his last season he average 19.1 ppg), 7 boards a game and 2.6 blocks per game.

Bogut's career average (2 years) are 16.5 points per game, 11 boards per game, 2.5 assists per game and 1.6 blocks.

Some of the draft picks before Luc in 1991 were:

1. Larry Johnson
2. Kenny Anderson
3. Billy Owens
4. Dikembe Mutombo
5. Steve Smith
6. Doug Smith
7. Luc Longley

Interesting enough that this was the same draft where Kevin Brooks was taken with the 18th pick by the Bucks.

Better to compare Luc and Luke as similar players. Bogut is way more athletic than both.

Luke Schenscher college career (4 years) are 7.3 ppg, 5.4 boards, 1.31 block

Reply #26892 | Report this post

Cheezeburger  
Years ago

kenny anderson at pick 2.ha, he got waived by the hawks this year and today got waived by the clippers.i think that career might be over.so its just dikembe left from that draft pool?

Reply #26901 | Report this post

Mix Master Wipe  
Years ago

Stacey Augmon (plastic man) was taken 9th by the Hawks,cant belive he's still playing!
Hope to see Bogut play for Australia more often than Longley did.

Reply #26904 | Report this post

Kriss  
Years ago

Steve Smith i think is still hanging around Miami isn' he?

Reply #26909 | Report this post

TR  
Years ago

Steve Smith is where he began his career, at the Heat, and he may get the another ring riding on the coat tails of Shaq and Wade. The lad can still shoot the three.

Doug Smith......who the f*#k is Doug Smith.

Reply #26922 | Report this post

Mix Master Wipe  
Years ago

Doug Smith is a 6-10 pf/c drafted by Dallas,only had short NBA career,plays CBA now.
Ex NBL players also drafted that year were Rodney Monroe and Steve Hood,both played for Canberra.
Also Doug Overton who played for Illawarra.

Reply #26923 | Report this post

Kriss  
Years ago

If the hype surrounding Bogut is true, he should be twice the player Longley is statistically....don't think hell be getting 6 rings though. Longs got that one covered for a while for aussie sucess

Reply #27079 | Report this post

steve  
Years ago

I think you will find that Luc "only" has 3 NBA Championship rings.

Reply #27087 | Report this post

Elric  
Years ago

Yes and we all know that 3 NBA championship rings are as common as toys in wheaties packets.

Until Bogut gets on the court and sometime down the track achieves that ring he's got nothing to say.

Will Bogut be statistically better ? Most likely, will he win 3 championship rings ? We shall see.

Reply #39910 | Report this post

aj  
Years ago

Whether he excels, gets boards, wins rings, breaks records, or flops like a flounder Bogut should show more respect for those that have paved the way in front of him. Being the first to break through is always the toughest and gives others something to aim at. Unfortunately Bogut has already decided to take a cheap shot.

Reply #39953 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

who cares about who was first aussie selected, it not about where your from its about how you play. Bogut is clearly the better player, yea he shouldnt have said what he said, but lets face it, its true, hes the best aussie baller we have had.

Reply #39982 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

i think he just said it to show the milwaukee bucks he is confident and ready to paly in the nba and he is ready to be #1

hence why he apoligized after

Reply #39987 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I do not still understand why he was comparing himself with Luc Longley. The reason why Luc did not put up some big stats was because he had team mates who were super players the likes of MJ, pIPPEN, Steve Kerr and Dennis Rodman. So i do not think its fair to compare him to Bogut

Reply #40001 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Let's settle it once and for all:

Bogut vs Longley....STEEL CAGE MATCH!!!!

Reply #40004 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

I think the reporter compared him to Longley and Bogut wanted to be quick to make sure that the comparison wasn't made because they are different players. As others have said, it was fair for Bogut to say that he is more athletic and a better shooter, but he could've been a bit more tactful about it.

He just couldn't risk the Bucks thinking that he would be another Longley, because I'm sure they want him to be much more than that.

Reply #40005 | Report this post

TR  
Years ago

Luc never put up decent numbers in his whole career with the Wolves, Bulls, Suns and Knicks (ok, his Knicks experience shouldn't count due to injury). What Longley did was play in a system that utilised the talents he had, and he was fortunate enough to grace that same floor as Jordan and Pippen for the majority of his career. Hey, so did Harper, so did Kerr, so did Paxson, so did Horace...

I do get a little pissed when people start saying that this player has 4 rings/6 rings so he must be better than this/that player. What a load of crap. If that's the case, Robert Horry is one of the best players in the NBA... HELL NO!!!

Horry and Longley made a career out of playing to a system, sticking to a system and enjoying and having the opportunity to share the court with some enormously talented players of the modern NBA. Rings means something, and unfortunately players are usually measured by the number of bling-bling they win than by the day to day accomplishments they make on the court.

If KG never wins a ring does this make him a lesser player, no. Malone never got one, Sir Charles never got one, geez 99% of the NBA doesn't have a ring, whilst you have players that have numerous rings for being in the right place at the right time, and luckily for Luc he was one of them, and had the Zen master utilise what talent he bought to the court.

Reply #40007 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Luc was in the starting five of arguably the best NBA team of all time. Bogut will be playing for the Bucks. Lets wait until he does something.

Reply #40035 | Report this post

Bizzy  
Years ago

IMHO you can't really compare either of them. They are both two different players, in two different teams and the NBA is a hell of a lot different to when Luc was hitting the floor.

Luc (as people have said above) slotted into a system and used what game he had within that system. Whereas Bogut is going to have to be a go to guy. Luc did his job to perfection and won 3 rings in the process. We will have to wait and see if Bogut can work in his role as well as Luc did. I say he can and he will be a top Australian player. One of the best (not the best, because that isn't really a comparable idea, it's like comparing Jordan to Wilt or Dr J - they all played in different era's)Australia has created.

Reply #40041 | Report this post

thedoctor  
Years ago

Think about it like this. Bogut goes down tomorrow with a career ending injury while hunting Bucks near Milwawkee. Let's say he was wearing one of those clapper hats the SANFL used to have, he's mistaken for a giant Buck, gets shot, can't walk, never plays again.

Will he be remembered as Australia's best ever player? No. He will be remembered as the guy who could have been the best. The guy who all Aussie fans cry about during the Olympics when we say "Man, if only Bogut hadn't worn that stupid hat."

Gaze is still the best player we have produced, along with Longley.

I hope Bogut will be the best, and barring a freak hunting accident, I think he will be.

Reply #40047 | Report this post

Michael  
Years ago

Gimme a break Bogut! Stop dissing out the Australian basketball, the NBL and the players who have paved the way for you.

yeah ok you may have the best college stats so far from an Aussie, but let's see if you can carry the success into the Pro's.

Luc's success cannot be argued with 3 championships and the starting center on probably the greatest team ever in 1996. If anyone remebers that playoff run, Luc had to go up against some of the best centers in the league...Mourning, Ewing, Shaq and Shawn Kemp! Sure his individual success was not all crash hot, but Bogut can do alot worse if he ends up being the next Luc Longley!

I hope he does that and much more...long live Basketball in Australia!

Reply #40065 | Report this post

Bizzy  
Years ago

Was Shawn Kemp the centre? I always thought he was a PF?

Reply #40068 | Report this post

Skyhook  
Years ago

Hello BIZZY ...

Kemp was a power forward forced to play centre .. besides the guy was sooooo strong and had "hyper hops"

Reply #40071 | Report this post

Bizzy  
Years ago

Thanks Skyhook, I know the guy was a tank and anyone that watched the NBA back then knew he had MAD hops.

Pity he had to go into rehab and then did nothing after that could have been an all-star for years.

Reply #40075 | Report this post

TR  
Years ago

Kemp had insane hops in Seattle.... REIGN MAN!!!!!!. He has pretty insane with some of the stuff he did. That dunk on Lister.. madness

Krispy Kreme donuts and paternity suits followed in Cleveland!!!!!!

Reply #40076 | Report this post

thedoctor  
Years ago

His dunk on Gatling was the best. Gatling just walks up to him nodding, then shakes his hand as if to say, "My bad, I shouldn't have jumped. Sorry."

Reply #40089 | Report this post

Michael  
Years ago

Kemp was awsome back then. had turned into a complete player until he fell away. just goes to show: kids "dont do drugs!"

Reply #40616 | Report this post

Kriss  
Years ago

....and use protection!! (9 kids!! DAMN)

Reply #40638 | Report this post

Bizzy  
Years ago

Has he retired now? I know he was playing in Orlando a few years back.

9 Kids.....man is like a Rabbit!!

Reply #40639 | Report this post

Jarrad  
Years ago

Bogut is much better then Longley, Longley shouldve been called fumble

Reply #64529 | Report this post

Cantellope  
Years ago

Y'all are wack, Bogut is a better player in college, but Longley was amazin in the NBA. Bogut may doing good but he's nowhere near as good as Longley once was.

Reply #90746 | Report this post

DB5  
Years ago

In 5 years time, I think we will compare stats and see that Bogut will be averaging 18pts and 11 boards per.
Dream on Longley, Mr right place, right time.
Even Bill Wennington has 3 rings and a sweeter shot!

Reply #90751 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

well said DB 5 , Longley was basically an oversived ronald mcdonald impersantor until he landed with the almighty bulls where as bogut is having a team and responsibility built around him .
If bogut wins a championship or two he will be a major factor , not a passenger .
In bagging longley the dude has 3 rings got to play with the greatest of all time then walked off with 35 mill from the knicks and seems like a good bloke so i am sure he is quite content with life .

Reply #90760 | Report this post

thedoctor  
Years ago

Longley was not a passenger. Watch the dvd's of the last 3 championships. He was a quality role player. Certainly not a star, but he didn't need to be.

But, Bogut will be better.

Reply #90764 | Report this post

Maurice White  
Years ago

The Bulls won 72 games with Longley at centre. But that team with Herman Munster playing centre they would have still won over 60 games.

Reply #90771 | Report this post

jumpshot  
Years ago

Bogut is a good player number 1 and all that in the draft blah blah Luc Longley i agree has 3 rings but thats something bugut will never have because he doesnt have the team to help him. Luc had tolls he could use other than scoring he had his passing, height etc etc.They were his tools of trade and he used them well. So until Bogut can say he played with the BEST player to have ever played the game yes im talking about JORDAN then hes should keep his mouth shut. Lets see how he goes against Yoa Ming.

Reply #128112 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 4:07 pm, Fri 19 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754