Anonymous
Years ago

2010 U23 Results

So tonight was Rd1. What big names suited up, who won and who lost?

Topic #24001 | Report this topic

Phantom  
Years ago

Girls:
West V North - Draw
Sout V Sturt - South
Southern V F/Ville - Southern
Eastern V Woodville - Woodville (Eastern Forfeited)
Centrals V Norwood - Norwood

Reply #291919 | Report this post

Charon  
Years ago

Seemed like a weaker reserves competition.

Not suprising to see BSA haven't bothered to put ant effort into the competition. Didn't run on time. No atmosphere, etc.

Just plan inept.

Reply #291922 | Report this post

Wam Soosnam  
Years ago

This is the Top Summer league in SA and no overtime??
How about 3 mins OT not 5??

What about the boys?
Can we expect some write up in the paper?

Reply #291926 | Report this post

MP  
Years ago

OT is only played in finals Wam, not the regular season. It's been like that forever.

Reply #291929 | Report this post

Amy  
Years ago

i have to say i thought that it was a good atmosphere having all the div 1 teams at the same venue. It does appear to be a weaker reserves comp but you would expect that as these are supposed to be the up and comings of ABL.

My mian complain it we had a game at 9:10 and there still was a game after us however we did not get out of there till 11:15, then to drive home it makes it an extreamly late night.

Reply #291931 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Morphett Vale was good. Games were all close and of a good standard, good atmosphere and well refereed. Much better than last season. Well done BSA.

Reply #291935 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Let me understand: the pre-eminent summer league competition in South Australia, with all its hype and build up and we have one of the 10 main clubs forfeit!!!

What a disgrace!!

Reply #291939 | Report this post

Wam Soosnam  
Years ago

Yes but this is a new 'exciting league' not the same old same old.

I see the Div 2 stuff on monday night contains the good players.
The directive was to align abl teams with youth league.

Give it a couple more weeks, but this seems to be a big F to me.

Lower standard competitions does not equal progress

Reply #291941 | Report this post

Charon  
Years ago

MP,

This is an entirely new competitionwhich SBA said would be its main forward push.

WHt has changed from the reserves competition that was in place last season except some experienced players are not playing?

Reply #291943 | Report this post

anon  
Years ago

very disappointing to see number cvlubs not fielding reserves teams - what is going on
and some of the undedr divisions are made up of 5 team divisions - thats going to be fun playing each other every other week or 2
under 20 gone - reserves falling apart and this in name of progress - i getting to old bring back the good old days

Reply #291953 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Charon the competition is about development.

It's about ensuring that players in the 18-22 bracket can play at the highest level possible and develop their game further.

It's not ABA. It's a development league.

I for one enjoyed the night and enjoyed seeing such a wide ranging mix in each team.

What is the issue with having a draw? A lot of professional sporting leagues have draws in their minor rounds. Are you calling the AFL and NRL out for not having overtime during the season as well?

I noticed you had a go at BSA and somehow blame them for games running late. Now you're suggesting games should have overtime as well. Imagine how late games will run if they have to play overtime.

Your post was very negative about last night but only mentioned lack of atmosphere and games running late as issues. How is either BSA's fault? If you want more atmosphere get people to come watch your team play. I completely disagree anyway, I thought having all Division 1 teams playing at the one venue was a great idea and thoroughly enjoyed getting to watch a number of high quality games.

I also noticed you offered no suggestions for improving the competition. Considering it was week 1 of the first season of the competition I would think BSA are open and willing to tweak it to make it more enjoyable for everyone involved.

Reply #291956 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I think it's important to distinguish between guys and girls. The guys comps are pretty good. The girls comps are going to take a few years to build. But overall it is a major step forward. Last year was a disgrace!

Reply #291957 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Who won all the boys games?

Reply #291959 | Report this post

MP  
Years ago

Charon, my comment was in relation to playing overtime.

Reply #291963 | Report this post

Tiger Woodduck  
Years ago

Boys

Southern beat Forestville
Norwood beat Centrals

Reply #291964 | Report this post

Good start  
Years ago

Mens games I saw had the following results:

North def West fairly comfortably
Woodville def Eastern by double digits
Sturt def South by single figures

Reply #291965 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Regarding the atmosphere: I play in our second team in U23's. I would love to go out and see the best of the U23's play and see what I must achieve but that is impossible with all U23 games being played on the same night. So in my mind you are never going to get a great crowd to these games as BSA have made sure a key group who may go and watch cannot go.

Secondly, is there a worse place to watch basketball from an atmosphere viewpoint than the Dome with all three courts being used. What atmosphere can you get for the middle court and the side courts are not much better. Coaching for the middle court is a nightmare.

Reply #291968 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

port adelaide comp was good, goodish crowd, torrens valley dominated in their game (their top side) some teams only had five or six players this will have to pick up or there will be teams pulling out due to lack of numbers. overall good start to a very good comp, good to see that it has brought back to district basketball kids who had walked away - that has to be a huge positive.

Reply #291970 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

i'm for one is waiting to see how it pans out. U23s has mainly been sold on the basis of being development and for the div 1s especially development for ABA, however, if you speak to the guys in that grade who currently are in ABA squads they'll all tell you that they believed development was better with some of the older players in reserves, e.g. Crusher, Truck as they learnt from them and obviously "toughened up".

With the u23's current phasing I believe they shouldn't have regionalised it, as players are soon going to lose interest with playing the same teams week in, week out. Talk to seniors who've been involved in regionalisation and there's more against than for it.

Reply #291985 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

anon 953. the majority of clubs train on mondays and would rather train then send half the squad for a game

Reply #291986 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

what happened to the div 2 fully timed games?? easier to stick them all in div 2, what happens when sturt 2 plays for instance south 7, can see a masacre coming along

Reply #291995 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

i dont think it is a very good idea! you get better by playing against stronger oppisition if you are 20+ you should be playing against men. this comp is hurting the reserves comp and causeing complications in for under 23s to train with the ABA teams as well as reserves. Dont understand why is has been braught in

Reply #291996 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

What I am curious about is this phase system and pro/rel. This is a development competition and I know that some clubs are using it to do just that and may in some cases have stronger team 3's made up of older players than their number 2 team. They decided that they can compete in Div 2 and have chosen accordingly. What happens when there is a movement in the phaes seeing the 3rd team go up above the 2nd team. Can a club then at the end of a phase simply change the names in each team to do what they set out to do in the first place. To me you can't dictate to clubs how they develop their players and to have a pro/rel phase in a development league smacks of that.

If you don't think that can happen have a look at the results last numer between Sturt 2 and Sturt 3 where the 3 team beat easily the 2nd team. What happens when winter season comes around??

Reply #292011 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

#011 that's the whole point of pro/rel

If Sturt 3 ends up being better then Sturt 2 then the better team plays in the higher grade.

If Sturt 7 ends up being better then Southern 2 then the better team plays in the higher grade.

Reply #292017 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I disagree. The youth competition was about developing players for ABA. Many old players are coming out of the woodwork who at 21 or 22 may be better players at the moment but will never make ABA as they have no intention to commit at that level. That is why some teams are putting better players down a grade.

Pro/Rel leads to clubs playing players at a level which they, the club, do not see in the best interest of the competition longer term.

Reply #292019 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Further to the above perhaps they should have stuck to their original plan of more than two division and only have pro/rel at lower than Div 2

Reply #292020 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I was talking to some players who played in Youth League Division 1 and they said that it was faster and of at least as high a standard than Reserves games that they played in over the winter.

Reply #292240 | Report this post

Ceres 41  
Years ago

Reserves is not a high standard and is a fill in comp. U23 will be a great success and is the best thing BSA have done for a while. The next best thing they could do is scrap reserves altogether. That or have a senior div 1 operating in summer and no bloody reserves at all in winter.

Reply #292286 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 9:12 am, Sat 20 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754