Isaac
Years ago

Kings have sold 7k tickets ahead of opener

More than 7000 tickets have been sold to the Kings' first home game on Saturday with club boss Bob Turner still hopeful of a sell-out crowd of 10,000 plus.
Great news. I think they might have a $10 ticket promo, but regardless, you have to get people out there to support the team and they seem to be doing it.

It's a shame that out of 20+ articles on the SMH sports index the Kings don't get a mention. Have to look under "More Sports" to find Basketball and then head towards the bottom of an article on stadium upgrades to find a mention of the 7,000 figure.

Also, two days until the NBL tips off on One HD...

Topic #24002 | Report this topic

skip  
Years ago

That's fanatstic news. Can't wait to see it on TV on Friday night.

Could we finally have a challenger for average crowd size?

Reply #291925 | Report this post

The Brad  
Years ago

When you think about it, it's a great idea to get as many people as possible out to your first game. Your surely going to attract people who haven't been to the basketball befor, will get a taste of what it's like (not really because your not going to get 10,000 at every game) and want to come back to at least one more if not two more games. Great marketing!

Reply #291928 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Skip, Friday night's game is Sydney @ Melbourne. This 7k is for Sydney's opener on Saturday against NZ I think.

Reply #291930 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Yes - 7k sold for Syd vs NZ on Sat.

Reply #291933 | Report this post

DJ  
Years ago

Great news for the Kings and the league, hopefully Melbourne gets a sellout for the season opener although got to say havn't heard a whisper around Melbourne about the game?!

Reply #291934 | Report this post

SRT070  
Years ago

Thats great news. obviously they made it a bit of a bargain but you need to come up with ideas like this to get the crowd in the doors in the first place. You need to show people what they are missing before you can charge them the right price.

Reply #291937 | Report this post

FM  
Years ago

A lot of Kiwis live in Sydney

Reply #291938 | Report this post

aussieboomers4eva  
Years ago

Hopefully they won't mind too much when Kirk Penny torches them.

Reply #291940 | Report this post

aussieboomers4eva  
Years ago

^Oops, Penney

Reply #291942 | Report this post

TheFansMan  
Years ago

You'll never hear anything about basketball in Melbourne if its left up to Melbourne Tigers. They couldnt care less about promoting. That's where the dragons really helped the sports exposure. Tigers have no idea.

Reply #291944 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

There has been no publicity about the NBL season starting this Friday in any of Melbourne's major print media such as the Herald-Sun and The Age newspapers.

The Melbourne Tigers are hopeless at promoting or marketing themselves in their own backyard.

Reply #291948 | Report this post

skip  
Years ago

Isaac - D'oh! So it is!

Reply #291950 | Report this post

SRT070  
Years ago

so is Kirk Penney back for the first round game is he??

Reply #291951 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Penney is apparently not suiting up on Saturday night for their first game of the season.

Check out the Sydney Kings new floor and state of the art video screens being put otgether at the SEC. It looks great! Link: http://linky.com.au/eqnp9

It very much has Lakers feel to it...

Reply #291952 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I haven't heard much through the mainstream media about the NBL starting.

Aside from basketball related websites and forums, it seems there is little to no exposure regarding the start of the NBL which is a real shame.

Reply #291958 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

I think the Kings already had more than 5000 seats sold before the $10 promotion started, but I could be wrong.

Reply #291960 | Report this post

orbit  
Years ago

I wanna stay upbeat but they'll end up with 3000 av for the season. Hope i'm wrong...

Reply #291961 | Report this post

XY  
Years ago

I think OneHD has been doing a great job of promoting the start of the league throughout the Commonwealth Games. Only protecting its own turf, but a whole lot of people would know the NBL is starting and is back on FTA as a result of that saturation marketing.

Newspaper and print media, less so, which is disappointing. But will hopefully improve when the Comm Games are over and there is less to report.

Reply #291967 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Over half the newspapers in Australia are owned by News Corp. The same company heavily involved in Foxtel which no longer has the rights to the NBL.

I've noticed since NBL made the switch the Fox Sports website has gone from limited basketball coverage to now no basketball page at all.

Mainstream media was anti basketball to begin with. Now that News Corp are out of the market expect News Corp papers to show the sport even less support then the minimal coverage it used to provide.

Reply #291974 | Report this post

SRT070  
Years ago

^ Anon, why would the Fox sports web page have any basketball on there when they have no rights to play the games. sure they could put the news up about it, but im pretty certain they only care about sport that they can get people to watch on their channel, otherwise it serves as no benefit to them. It's a shame thats how it is but we gotta grin and bare it.

Reply #291975 | Report this post

Big Marty  
Years ago

The sales are good. Here's hoping the first home game results in a tight contest that will have people wanting to come back.

Reply #291976 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Fox sports still have a basketball page on their website - you just have to find it under other sports. Seriously, I would trade all the minimal support basketball got from News Ltd for the genuine investment Ten is making into the sport.

If things go well the mainstream media will come back to some extent.

Interesting that a couple of friends who never followed NBL have asked if I, and other people there at the time, want to come around and watch the game on ONE this Friday over a few beers. That is a good sign.

A bad sign is that some people in the discussion still feel the need to put the NBL down, but one step at a time I suppose and the fact a few people said yes is a great sign.

Reply #292035 | Report this post

SRT070  
Years ago

Paul, tell them to cancel the party and grab a ticket and drink at the dome!! thats the best way for them to get into it.

But as you said it is good that people are starting to talk like this. alot of people will be looking for something to follow in the summer season now that footy is over.

Reply #292036 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

I seem to recall their last game there v Dragons and a few hundred turned up.
2,000% increase.

Reply #292041 | Report this post

Red  
Years ago

Great to see the kings selling so many tickets. You can bet people will be turned away @ the door for the 1st Wildcats home game. A sell out like most weeks.

Reply #292052 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

A sell out like most weeks? lol, don't get ahead of yourself. It will settle back to 3-5,000 in a 10,000 seat stadium.

Reply #292069 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

First article in the print media this week in Melbourne regarding the NBL...from Grantley Bernard in today's Herald-Sun.

Link: http://linky.com.au/pvnko

Reply #292073 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

The Age in Melbourne also has an article in today's paper...

Link: http://linky.com.au/cm62v

Reply #292077 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Anon, they were talking about Perth games, many of which sell out. Capacity at Challenge Stadium is 4,500.

Reply #292080 | Report this post

E  
Years ago

Big double page article in the Advertiser Today, plus smaller Articles every couple of days the last few weeks. More than I expected!

Go BOTI Go :)

Reply #292117 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

That was Ballinger on radio 5aa , just then.
Carfino and Ballinger sent them a DVD -
" Hey Cornesy and Rowie - the NBL is on OneHD , two games a week. The footy season is over, get to the Dome."

(Basketbrawl in China gotta lot on the TV news)

Reply #292157 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Rowe is often at the games, I think. Sits just in front of me. Hopefully they discuss it a bit more on radio though.

Reply #292160 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

They were touched to get something like that sent to them and their producer - a personal invite from the 36ers Captain and Carfino - to watch the games on TV and go to the dome - which they played on air and got Adam on air tonite for the interview.
Should hear more now the season has started.
Good bitta marketing from Carfino and Ballinger.

Reply #292165 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

Also, like the Kings win last nite and the sixers starting tomorrrow has been on radio all morning and TV newses tonite.
I seem to recall a season or so when started during AFL finals - no mention - no one knew.
I imagine this game is a sell out.

Reply #292414 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 1:06 am, Sat 30 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754