LC
Years ago

Gilbert Arenas in trouble again: faking an injury!

I just read this on ESPN where it is reported that Gilbert Arenas has been fined by his team for faking an injury to keep from playing in the Washington Wizards home preseason opener against Atlanta!

This guy just can't stay out of trouble (top borrow a line form the article).

ESPN Link: http://linky.com.au/x5gcm

Arenas had this to say:

"I screwed up again, so I just want to say sorry," he said. "I wasn't really thinking that this was going to be another media outburst. It's like everything I do now, someone, tit for tat, tries to blow it out of proportion."

Topic #24008 | Report this topic

KingJames  
Years ago

It was a pre-season game and he did it so his team mate could get some more minutes to get his confidence up. I don't think that was such a bad thing. Wizards will need all the help they can get this season!

Reply #292078 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

KJ, not his decision to make IMO.

This guy was all the rage a few years back and he's managed to whittle away at his reputation to become another expensive risk for his team.

Reply #292079 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Who would you rather on youre team

Iverson
McGrady
Carter
Arenas
Shaquille O'Neal
Rasheed Wallace

Reply #292084 | Report this post

DB5  
Years ago

I would take Shaq from that list of egomaniacs anon.
Tough call though, they are all players that hurt you in the locker room.

Reply #292086 | Report this post

thedoctor  
Years ago

Bit tough on Shaq and Sheed, probably McGrady too - his issues related to injury more than attitude. Sheed is a head case, but post-Jailblazers was a good team mate - maybe not last season so much.

My arm-chair assessment of Arenas (and with no relevant qualifications) is that he's borderline bi-polar.

Very outgoing, prone to unexplainable risk-taking. Why on earth would you do ANYTHING other than train hard and play hard, whilst keeping your mouth shut after the horror three years he has had.

Reply #292090 | Report this post

The_Champ33  
Years ago

I'd take McGrady over that list. His issue has always been injury rather than cancer attitutes.

I don't have too much of an issue with what Gilbert did in this case. He was trying to be a team bloke and giving a team mate some confidence. But probably did it in the wrong manner and it's normally a coaches choice.

Gilbert was the real deal many years back. But he's copped it the last few years and has a lot of making up to do. I have faith the man can still play and will show some form by Xmas.

Let's wait and see how he goes. He won't be traded as no-one will take on his massive contract. Let's hope he keeps Wall on track for the good and not the bad.

Reply #292094 | Report this post

Juror 12  
Years ago

C'mon Champ - how is faking an injury being a team bloke despite his intentions.

How about a chat with the coach to say "Look, Nick Young is really down at the moment, I'm happy to play less tonight in order to give him some more time. But at the end of the day you are the coach and I'll support your decision 100%"

Reply #292095 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

doc, I guess if he's not financially idiotic, by now he'd have a reasonable bed of money to fall back on. There's always going to be a job somewhere for him, even if he ends up like Marbury in China.

Reply #292097 | Report this post

DB5  
Years ago

So why does McGrady come out and say things like " I can be the player I was if not better" and "I expect to be starting" if it is not all about him?

I understand confidence, but at his age, he would have a lot of takers if he was willing to play a role and not be the man.

Same goes for most of that list really. Those guys all seem to put themselves before the team IMO.

Reply #292098 | Report this post

The_Champ33  
Years ago

Juror12

Your suggesstion is the responsible adult choice.

Faking an injury was the immature way.

Reply #292111 | Report this post

thedoctor  
Years ago

DB5 - I can't recall McGrady actually saying 'I expect to be starting' - more like 'I want to compete for a starting spot.'

His mistake was not qualifying those comments with a 'but I'm happy to perform in any role the coach deems to be in the teams best interests' and 'all I want to do is win' etc etc.

I still think the Bulls should have signed him - would have given an x-Factor come playoff time.

Reply #292118 | Report this post

thedoctor  
Years ago

Isaac - he apparently made a huge amount of money by investing in Vitamin Water, as did 50 Cent (something like $50M). So cash isn't an issue.

I was referring more to getting back to being a genuine top 10 or 20 players in the league and salvaging some sort of reputation.

Either he's not interested, or he's just a really poor decision maker.

Reply #292119 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

I'm going with the latter. Plus maybe combined with your amateur diagnosis earlier?

Reply #292137 | Report this post

Juror 12  
Years ago

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=5686087

Karma or another fake??!!

Reply #292234 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 5:52 am, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754