Anonymous
Years ago

R.Kersten has been offered 2 NCAA college deals

Man this guy is simply amazing. Ryan has been offered contracts with either St Mary's or New Mexico over in the states NCAA College Divison 1 basketball. His dominance has clearly now been recognised. Bout time................WATCH OUT KERSTEN IS ON THE MOVE.

Topic #2401 | Report this topic

hmmm  
Years ago

i dont think he would play many minutes at either school, Its a very tough confrence, and the defense is crazy I know from experience.

Reply #26936 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

yes ok Hmmm. Its not the minutes that count. Its being offered the contract in the first case.

Reply #27005 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I thought if you played in the NBL or ABA you were not eligable to play college. Can someone explain this to me.

Reply #27007 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I thought if you played in the NBL or ABA you were not eligable to play college. Can someone explain this to me?

Reply #27013 | Report this post

vets  
Years ago

They have changed it for ABA now. Now you just cant play in the COllege off season but if you have played prior to goign then its pretty much OK.

Reply #27014 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

What about NBL?

Reply #27016 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Playing NBL rules you ineligible, AFAIK. You can't play without being paid.

Reply #27045 | Report this post

Paul Arnott  
Years ago

Here's some guidelines from Basketball Australia about NCAA eligibility. This seems to indicate that in some cases (such as if your team had an import), playing ABA can rule you out of playing NCAA. Does anyone have any examples of this rule being tested?

Reply #27069 | Report this post

If he gets some court time .. how will he go over there ?

Reply #27113 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

KERSTEN IS AWESOME. THATS ALL I HAVE TO SAY. LATA MATE

Reply #27126 | Report this post

coach k  
Years ago

Did Deb Wilcox sit out last ABA season to gain her eligibility?
I heard that to be eligible you can't play in a team here where other's are getting paid to play??

Reply #27127 | Report this post

Libertine  
Years ago

coach k is on the money. Meaning that kids that go to the AIS still have their college eligibility...whereas Brad Hill would now not be eligibile for college, unless there's a loophole somewhere.

Reply #27150 | Report this post

Dr Dunkenstein  
Years ago

Congratulations to Pinny on his offers. As for the elgibilty, Leah Cannon (Oral Robertson) had to sit out one season when she started her college stint in the US, she was 'red shirted' where she could train, but was inelgiable to play. Deb (#27150) and Steve Williams, both at Abby Belmont (i think??) played only reserves in the year leading up to their college time.

Reply #27158 | Report this post

The Hammer  
Years ago

I thought CJ Bruton went to college after playing with the Gong back in the day

Reply #27171 | Report this post

Moses Guthrie  
Years ago

True about the import situation. Play in a team with imports and you lose eligibility.

The AIS don't count as they don't have imports.

C'mon down to the Icehouse Friday and see an undermanned AIS take it up to the Pioneers. Ingles, Kersten, Hill - should be good.

And speaking of road trips, the AIS kids have 3 games in 3 days. Tough call - with two of their players away on other commitments!

Reply #27190 | Report this post

coach k  
Years ago

Dr Dunk. Are you sure about Leah. She left in January to learn the offenses and the like as it was still in the college season. This also had her better prepared to start the next season. It was the same situation with Katrina Lindner who went to play @ Arizona, wasn't she playing ABL with Sturt right up to when she left?

Reply #27221 | Report this post

Dr Dunkenstein  
Years ago

Coach k, 90% sure. She was given the option of staying here for a year, and only playing reserves, or going over to the states and being red-shirted (can train but not play) for year. She opted for the latter.

Reply #27224 | Report this post

coach k  
Years ago

You're probably right. She never did tell me fully what was happening.

Reply #27231 | Report this post

ShutUp!!  
Years ago

From www.seabl.com.au website

Ryan Kersten signs with Uni of New Mexico

University of New Mexico men's basketball coach Ritchie McKay announced today that Ryan Kersten has signed a National Letter of Intent to attend UNM on a basketball scholarship beginning with the 2005-06.

Kersten is a 6-1, 195-pound guard from Modbury Heights, South Australia, who is attending the Australian Institute of Sport. The Australian Institute of Sport (AIS) is the country's internationally acclaimed national center of sports excellence for the training and development of elite athletes and teams. Its residential center is located in Canberra and services athletes from ages 15-19.

The AIS men's basketball team plays in the professional South East Australian Basketball League (SEABL). SEABL games run from March to August and AIS is currently 3-6 on the season. Kersten has started eight of the team's nine games and is averaging 9.2 ppg and 3.5 apg against the experienced competition. Kersten, who will turn 19 on April 21, is in his second year at AIS after averaging 8.5 ppg and 2.2 apg in 2004.

AIS has produced pair of well-known collegiate players in recent years, including 2005 All-American Andrew Bogut (Utah) and 2005 All-West Coast Conference Daniel Kickert (St. Mary's) and Luke Schenscher (Ga. Tech).

Quoting Coach McKay: "Ryan Kersten is a very good guard with the ability to play both point and shooting guard positions. He has had the good fortune to play for the Australian Institute of Sport, which competes against older, more experienced players. Consequently, he has maturity beyond that of a normal 18-year old. We are excited about what we think he can contribute to our program, both now and in the future."

Reply #30862 | Report this post

Kirsty Maylin  
Years ago

Well done Ry-Baby. We wish him all the best. The sky is the limit for this guy, he can only go up.

Reply #39920 | Report this post

Amy  
Years ago

Great game Ryan! Did so well with your court time. A couple extra minutes and you could of had the game in the bag!

Reply #61979 | Report this post

stephanie  
Years ago

For those of you who doubted his ability or playing time by going to UNM.... Ryan is sweeping the floors with D1. In one word, he is amazing. Quite a gentlemen I might add. ;)

Reply #65908 | Report this post

schilla  
Years ago

haha i used to give this kid lifts to school...well done ryan

Reply #86670 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 7:56 am, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754