Anonymous
Years ago

How can the 36ers only have 1 centre?

I know its been discussed before but I still dont understand how the Sixers only signed one centre. DJ and that is it. We wont even have a centre in the starting line-up for crying out loud. Dowdell can play centre but is only a 15 min/game type player. Ballinger will not be effective at centre so it will hurt us in that way as well. What on earth were the Sixers thinking? Do they actually think this will work or was it a stupid oversight/mistake?

Topic #24043 | Report this topic

NBA agent  
Years ago

because melbounre tigers signed all the centers

Reply #292444 | Report this post

Hopeful  
Years ago

Man im with you, i cant believe people havent made more of a big deal out of this to be honest! Seemed to keen to sign last years players back up, at a cheap price, because of how poor they were last season...but thats just my conspiracy theory. Any decent centre coming in to the NBL this year wouldve cost some money. Basketball just isnt the same without a centre. Knight will destroy the 36ers today, he has no competition in the paint.

Reply #292445 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

You do realise Knight is only 2cm taller than Ballinger??? Knight is a natural PF so I don't see what the difference is?

Perth are the Gold standard in this league and are no taller then the 36ers. Athleticism and hustle will go alot further than pure height.

Reply #292448 | Report this post

Big Marty  
Years ago

Depends really.

Classic "Size vs. Speed" scenario. The Melb/Syd game showed that a tall team won't necessarily win.

Our lineup just doesn't fall into the "template" team design.

Dowdell has the Atleticism to play the 5 quite well. The thing I'm fairly sure we're all thinking is "Don't move Balls from the 4 spot".

Provided they leave him be; still think the Sixers are versitile enough to win tonight.

Reply #292449 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Big Marty, the major issue I have is that it looks like the 36ers ARE going to move ballinger from the 4 to the 5 and as well all know, he is not a 5 man! He'll almost certainly be starting at centre unless Marty Clark surprises us and starts DJ.

Reply #292454 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

And while our lineup doesnt have to fit perfectly into the "template" team design I really believe you need atleast SOME height and some balance in your lineup.

Reply #292455 | Report this post

Spinner  
Years ago

Has everybody forgotten 2002 - we lost Mee, Brooks, Cat, Davis.......... and Paul Rees was our centre - a crowd favourite no doubt, but peotry in slow motion!!

And what happened that year? The Sixers stunned the doubters and ended up winning the thing (from fifth I think?)

Maybe, just maybe....................!

Reply #292457 | Report this post

wall-e  
Years ago

I firmly believe our team and including past years has depth that can take on this role. Sure, only having one centre means the workload goes to him, but Ballinger, Holmes and even Brad Hill last season gave it a shot. We all know these guys aren't majorly up there with guys like Schencher but...give it a go, and I got no issues.

Winning the tap isnt the bees knees, but its a part of a good start to a game as well as when the game needs to be won

Reply #292459 | Report this post

Statman  
Years ago

All this whinging before a game has even been played...

For the record the Sixers have 1 more centre than the Blaze have...

Reply #292462 | Report this post

Moses Guthrie  
Years ago

How can the Tigers have 4 centres?

Reply #292463 | Report this post

Big Ads  
Years ago

Moses, they were told that losing Anstey would leave a big hole in their line-up. Methinks they took it too literally.

Reply #292464 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Knight didn't destroy the 36ers.

Reply #292499 | Report this post

Skudded  
Years ago

Off topic but relating to this "and Paul Rees was our centre - a crowd favourite no doubt, but peotry in slow motion!!"

Paul Ree's hitting a three I think is still the MOST cheered for play in the dome!

Reply #292513 | Report this post

XztatiK  
Years ago

"Knight will destroy the 36ers today, he has no competition in the paint."

This is just getting old now. The team balance is fine. Stop going on centimetres.

If we signed a gun Centre it would mean reduced minutes for Holmes, as well as him playing the majority of his minutes at SF, which, IMO is even more of a worry than Balls playing C. You know that guy who doubled Matty Knight's rebounding tonight?

Reply #292530 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Wildcats only have one centre (and he's as much of a PF as a C). Hawks have one real centre (and barely play him) then run PFs through that position - you *could* count Davidson as a centre if you were particular excitable. Breakers only have one centre (who comes off the bench, and was a development player last year). Gold Coast don't really have a centre (not counting Pero and Petrie is not a centre!). Sydney only have one centre (I'm not going to count Janev or Knight as centres).

Reply #292582 | Report this post

SRT070  
Years ago

I think the game last night said it all!

Reply #292717 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 5:15 am, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754