Anonymous
Years ago

One HD NBL ratings?

Does anyone a site where you can access ONE HDs ratings? Would be interested to see how many people tuned in for the first NBL game on Friday night.

Topic #24045 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

I think you have to be in the media to access it. Crikey have a daily TV ratings thing in their email but it's just the top rated shows and how all the channels performed.

Tomorrow's email will have what happened today/tonight but Sunday nights are usually One HD's best night of the week due to the Formula 1 stuff. I don't think that is on tonight (NBL + Klitschko fight) so I'd be surpised if the ratings tonight aren't worse than they were last Sunday night.

Reply #292471 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Also, AFAIK, One HD traditionally rates fairly low compared to mainstream channels and so it might be difficult to spot them in a top-shows report.

Reply #292508 | Report this post

SRT070  
Years ago

hopefully a few new people watched the game on One last night and have a new found interest for the summer season.

Reply #292590 | Report this post

I have introduced a few of my mates to the game of basketball via One HD. Sat them down Friday and as the Tigers are the only Vic club they all decided to adopt them as their NEW CLUB. It only took a few beers and the first quarter for the instant coaches to come out!!! They have already sacked 2 players! Tough judges these converts. They are also pondering either more beers or a change of club for next week. Either way, there is at least 4 more fans to the game. Good on you ONE HD.

Reply #292593 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

exactly. im sure there would have been atleast some new people watching. the game on friday had some great highlights two. dunno if its me of if the 1st 2 one hd games have had more spectacular plays than usual

Reply #292594 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

I thought one of the big weaknesses of Fox's coverage was they often didnt replay some of the great plays, so they were easily forgotten. ONE have been replaying them a lot from a number different angles. Presentation is everything.

Reply #292605 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Plays of the week please!!!

Walker's around the back dunk on the break #2, with #1 being Winder's Alley-Opp three-point play.

Reply #292607 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

I think Corletto might give number one a nudge, and McCullough's drive against Nevill where neither took a backward step was pretty special.

A few big blocks in both games too were pretty nice.

Reply #292610 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

I also enjoyed, from memory, Matt Knight getting the block at one end and then finishing the break with a jam at the other.

Reply #292611 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I remember hearing that ONE are going to have a wrap up highlights show at some stage but doesnt start a few weeks into the season? anyone know any more?

Reply #292615 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

just got off my ass and sussed an old hoops post about it whoops.

From Nov 3, Ch 10 show "Overtime"

From an AdelaideNow piece on yesterday's announcements:

...Network 10 which announced from November 3 it would show a magazine-panel style in-depth NBL show called "Overtime" to enhance its general game coverage.

should be great

Reply #292616 | Report this post

SRT070  
Years ago

One thing is for sure though, after this first round the NBL has alot of good footage to use for its next lot of TV ads hopefully.

Reply #292620 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

hell yea. too bad this highlights show isn't on now cause it has been a great couple of broadcast games for highlights thats for sure

Reply #292625 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Good call Isaac.

Top 5 plays of the week would therefore for mine be:

#1 Winder alley-oop
#2 Walker around the back dunk (more skill)
#3 Corletto from mid-court (more luck)
#4 Winder vs Nevill near dunk/block layup
#5 Matt Knight at both ends

How does that sound then?

Reply #292631 | Report this post

XY  
Years ago

LC,

I think you will find Winder was a surprise omission from Friday night's game, and it wa McCullough who went straight at him ;-P

And your top 5 misses out Winder's massive block on Redhage (how many times did Redhage get blocked in that game anyway? Would have been at least three times).

My top five, from the two games:

#1 Winder with the alley and +1
#2 Corletto for Threeeeee!
#3 McCullough taking it hard to the rack over Nevill.
#4 Walker round the back dunk
#5 Winder block on Redhage

Reply #292637 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Walker was top two for sure. Great move from a rookie.

Redhage had three blocks for, two against.

Reply #292646 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

I think you could do a top ten from those two games. Was anyone at the other games this round? Any big plays to report - apparently the Ervin to Gruber alley oop was nice.

Reply #292652 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

From Michael Scibilia:

#NBL ratings are in...Adelaide V Perth averaged 73,000 viewers with a peak of 172,000. 5th most-watched program out of all sports channels.
Not sure if it was due 2 NBL, but ONE's highest share last nite was in Adelaide (1.9%). Perth was equal-2nd w/ Bris (1.7). Melb 1.4, Syd 1.2

Reply #292654 | Report this post

SRT070  
Years ago

Now the question is, is that what they were hoping for? surely it will pick up as the season carries on.

I was really disappointed this morning when i got up and was watching the news and no one mentions anything about the NBL, they will go on about all these other random sports that no one would care about and then there is no basketball. pretty pathetic if you ask me. I know Ten is doing there bit i see them including NBL all the time now.

Reply #292658 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

That is an excellent result. Considering last year's average on Fox was apparently less than 15,000 and the long term Fox average had been around 30,000 with the best ever at something like 65,000 for game five of the 08 GF, that is outstanding.

Furthermore, I think 73,000 is well above ONE's average viewer numbers. Would love to see the numbers for Friday night.

Reply #292663 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Should also be remembered for those that don't understand the system and that 73,000 is a guestimate.

They base that on a tiny number of people who have machines collating information. Some have suggested those people are selectively picked based on incorrect information but that's a whole different arguement.

Networds also look for results within the results.

Ten for example base their success or failures purely around their target age group and not the full figure. Ten has a strong focus on the under 35 age group and targets marketers/companies trying to sell products to that group specifically.

If the NBL can attrach a large percentage of the 18 - 35 age bracket from the tiny group of people involved in the ratings system then yes Ten will see the NBL on One as a success.

Reply #292691 | Report this post

Woodrho  
Years ago

did anyone notice how ugly and hard to read the score ticker was?? terrible

Reply #292692 | Report this post

SRT070  
Years ago

actually yes i did notice that woodrho as i also recorded the game as well as going to it. we have all this digital tv and HD stuff yet the score ticker on the screen was so pix-elated it looked like something from the original frogger or something

Reply #292694 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Is it roughly 2000 households or something like that, from which the ratings figures are extrapolated, or guestimated!

Reply #292698 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I saw 36ers/Wildcats highlights on every news bulletin I watched last night (ABC news, Sports Tonight, Sky News etc)

Reply #292699 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

correct Paul. Roughly 2000 for which they try to turn into 21 million.

Not at all a true reflection but the only option available at this time without major privacy breaches.

Reply #292704 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

My brain was switched off...LOL!

More importantly I guess, is how the traffic on Hoops.com.au is going following the NBL's return to FTA TV?

Reply #292706 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

36ers press release with quotes from Ch 10 mentioned:

Friday nights 130,000 viewers of the Melbourne/ Sydney clash.

Network Ten's general manager sport, David White said: "This is an excellent result for the first round and reflects the work that went into launching the season by all involved. These early ratings are extremely encouraging and we look forward to playing a part in the continued growth of this exciting sport."

Reply #292713 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

That would make it one of the most watched shows on the sports channels I think. Excellent start.

Reply #292718 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

There's only one sports channel?

Reply #292724 | Report this post

Beantown  
Years ago

Ok so the 130k figure is extrapolated from the 2000 households with transmission gadgets?

How would 130k compare to an average AFL game? How about average daily viewers for a Test match? It would be great to see a comparison if someone knows.

On the highlight plays, you guys forgot Taj's other play when he blew by a despairing Burston on the baseline and threw one down from a tough angle.

Loved Taj's attempted dunk on Nevill as well. For me that was #1, purely because of the explosion and the fact Nevill contested it.

I thought it was a good start on the weekend because of the highlight plays in both games. The best thing the players can do for ratings is to BE AUDACIOUS. Lucas Walker looked just that with his cameo on Friday. Apart from his dunk, he had a couple of nice blocks and a monster rebound that stood out.

Hopefully Abercrombie will get out and look to do the same when the Breakers hit FTA!

Reply #292725 | Report this post

XY  
Years ago

Good point Beantown, that McCullough under the backboard dunk was a definite top 5 contender.

Reply #292739 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Average AFL game gets around a million I think.

Reply #292776 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

TEN-FOLD RATINGS INCREASE FOR NBL SEASON OPENER
18/10/10

Over the weekend, the NBL made an outstanding return to free-to-air television on ONE, achieving a ten-fold increase for the season-opening Melbourne v Sydney game on Friday night compared to the previous season opener.

The game saw the return of the Sydney Kings to the NBL after two years out of the competition and their win over the Tigers was watched by an average audience of 56,000 and a peak of 130,000.

Sunday saw the Adelaide 36ers host last season's champions, the Perth Wildcats. The 36ers win was watched by an average audience of 73,000 and a peak of 172,000.

Network Ten’s general manager sport, David White said: "This is an excellent result for the first round and reflects the work that went into launching the season by all involved. These early ratings are extremely encouraging and we look forward to playing a part in the continued growth of this exciting sport."

Reply #292780 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

PS We know the score graphics weren't great.. Tech issue... We're working on it! ;)

Reply #292781 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

The average AFL game rates around 400,000 nationally.

Reply #292782 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Just to confirm that anon post above (which might've been from One/Ten themselves), the head of marketing for sport at One/Ten has contacted me to say as much - that the graphic was an issue for the first weekend but will be fixed for future rounds.

Reply #292799 | Report this post

Beantown  
Years ago

Paul was that 400k average audience?

Reply #292802 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

A comparison to put the figures in more context:

The NBL's version of Melbourne vs. Sydney on Friday night averaged 56,000 viewers.

The A-League's version of Melbourne vs. Sydney on Saturday night averaged 42,000 viewers.

In fact, the highest-rating A-League game last week was Brisbane vs. Newcastle. It averaged 43,000 viewers, meaning it was beaten by both NBL games.

Reply #293045 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

A good start should hopefully mean more faith from One and Ten, more coverage, and even bigger audiences. Thanks for the comparison Anon.

Reply #293054 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 2:00 pm, Sat 20 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754