Da Breez
Years ago

Points system is crap

I am sorry but the points system is crap. Yes have a salary cap, i don't have a problem with the salary cap but the points system seriously is (Mod: Grow up.).

PLEASE Larry consider getting rid of the points system

Topic #24081 | Report this topic

Larry Senstock  
Years ago

Da Breez,

Considering the power of you post I will eliminate the points system as of this afternoon.

Considering the salary cap is impossible to police, and the point system has be instramental in one of the most closely fought seasons ever last year and is the only real way to combat rorting the system and clubs going broke. Consider it done.

PS This is not Larry Senstck.

Reply #292834 | Report this post

Da Breez  
Years ago

police it better then. How many other leagues have a points system & a salary cap.

Personally i think have 1 or the other

Reply #292835 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Salary cap is policed fine and the points cap is effective - last season was exceptionally even and this season is looking to head in the same direction.

What is catastrophically wrong with the way the league is heading right now?

Reply #292836 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

im a fan of the points system keeps the league interesting and close.

Reply #292837 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

Thought going from 68 to 70 about 2 years ago was good and they may have gone to 72 now, which would be a little better.

Reply #292841 | Report this post

Da Breez  
Years ago

How many other leagues AROUND the world use the points system ?

I know that in other countries there are salary caps which is fair enough & i am all for that.

But why both

Reply #292849 | Report this post

How many other leagues arround the world have parity similar to what we have achieved(after we got rid of the Tigers loopholes). While the points cap is not perfect it is an inovative and much more transparent way of achieving the goals of parity and sustainablity. The use of both caps helps to achieve this.

Reply #292854 | Report this post

JMAC  
Years ago

Instead of calling the points system gay why not call it lame?
I know its fairly PC but i think people are tired of the word "gay" being used to decribe something negatively.
As for the points system, i agree with Isaac and others. It seems to be working and keeping the league even.

Reply #292858 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

lame is lame and gay is gay

Reply #292859 | Report this post

Da Breez  
Years ago

JMAC people express themselves differently & if you dont like the term GAY i suggest you dont read my posts in the future.

On the points system i can understand why the system is used it is just frustrating for me anyway......

Reply #292860 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

I have to laugh when a demographic that steals a word that means happy to describe themselves, then complains when other people use the word to mean something negative!

Reply #292862 | Report this post

Da Breez  
Years ago

i agree paul

Reply #292864 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

LOL!

Points system is actually proving to be a very effective means of enjsuring parity. I think other leagues may end up looking at whjat the NBL is doing with regards to this and potentially adopt a version for use themselves...

Reply #292866 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Da Breez, if you can't post without using the term 'gay' like that, post on another forum. And then as a bonus, JMAC won't read your posts.

Reply #292868 | Report this post

Da Breez  
Years ago

we have had the points system for what seems forever, it doesn't seem like other countries/leagues are that interested

Reply #292869 | Report this post

DB5  
Years ago

Ouch.

Reply #292870 | Report this post

Da Breez  
Years ago

cheers isaac i will keep that in mind, lol.............................................................NOT

Lighten up people, crying out loud

Reply #292871 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

OK, bye!

Reply #292877 | Report this post

Loco  
Years ago

Kabam! Ban Hammer of the Gods has been wielded.

Those who flaunted with being smotten have been smite.

It's all happening.

P.S You look great today Isaac. Have you been working out?

In summary:

Points system good.
Starting 17 threads an hour - bad.
Remaining PC and respectful - good.

Reply #292886 | Report this post

Ushiro  
Years ago

Certainly it seems to have worked very well in the NBL and definately stops some of the bought Championships by vanished teams in the past.

Actually the AFL should look at adopting the NBL points system to go with their salary cap and then allow players to nove once their contract has been completed or mutually terminated/paid out. Works for Basketball, NRL, Soccer etc in Australia so why not AFL?

Reply #292890 | Report this post

Jake  
Years ago

I wasn't a fan of the points system when introduced however the results speak for themselves and you cannot argue that the points system in conjuction with the cap has evened the playing field and made the competition more exciting.

The A-league should look at adopting something similar given teh dire financial position of some of their clubs.

Reply #292912 | Report this post

thedoctor  
Years ago

Whilst it works for the NBL and probably would for the A-League, I don't think it would work well for more financially stable codes.

I think it does take away some of the ability for organisations to create, develop and maintain a list of players over a longer period. It might just be the nature of the league, but it would be good to see more points or cap relief for the development of junior players or the long term service of players to one club.

It seems that teams are turning over 5 or 6 players a season, and its not good for the fans, IMO.

Reply #292920 | Report this post

skull  
Years ago

Da Breeze - awesome bro....bye bye!!(good bye and good riddance)

Reply #292929 | Report this post

Skudded  
Years ago

Gay = Bright and Happy, thats they way it used to be, its the way it should still be. So in effect your saying the points cap is bright and happy!

Stop trying to change the language to mean something it doesnt dammit!!! lol

If the USA had a Points Cap we wouldnt see the Miami Debacle of a team where they have possibly ruined a season of basketball by putting 3 superstars in the one team. I like the parity, even when it works against us

Reply #292944 | Report this post

Flinders80  
Years ago

hahahahahahaha nice one isaac. Thoroughly enjoyed watching Da Breeze biting the hand that feeds him.

Da Breeze Gets Cut = GOLD!!!!

Reply #292947 | Report this post

XztatiK  
Years ago

"P.S You look great today Isaac. Have you been working out?"

Lol^

For more information on the gay debate please watch the 'FAG!' episode of South Park and move on.

I hated the Points system at first but they've been far more accurate recently. I think it's a good thing and solid backup to the salary cap... now that the Kings are back and all.

I dread the thought of a points cap in football. Demetriou would screw teams/players like never before! Dane Swan and Scott Pendlebury would probably be reduced to 5-point ratings after an appeal by President Eddie.

Reply #292952 | Report this post

mystro  
Years ago

Point System works

Reply #292960 | Report this post

SRT070  
Years ago

^agreed, a points system in all sports would prevent any salary cap breach. I think if they employed the same system for the NRL, Melbourne storm probably wouldnt be going through what they are now. and this can stop people from bitching about how other teams have clearly gone over the salary cap. good idea for the NBL in thinking outside the square. if anything they just need to rate players a bit better, if i remember correctly during the off season a few players points ratings were a bit questionable, but no major hiccups.

Reply #292991 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

you cant easily translate the formula that is used to other sports. if you went to a coaches vote on players worth it may work 4 other sports

Reply #293306 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 1:49 pm, Wed 24 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754