Stephon
Years ago

NBL Finals Format

Just read the following that was written in The Age by Stephen Howell,

"The NBL participants meeting in Sydney this week supported continuing the eight-team finals series that has two knock-out rounds before the top two teams join in for the best-of-three semi-finals and a best-of-five grand final."

I must say that I am very disappointed that the NBL didn't take the opportunity to change the current play-off format.

I think most fans were united against the knock out format. I would like to know the reason why they kept it.

A question that you might want to ask in your next meeting Yogee.

Topic #2410 | Report this topic

Isaac  
Years ago

Boooo... what happened to the clubs that were obviously unhappy with the format? Pressured by the league?

Reply #26926 | Report this post

Seb007  
Years ago

Somewhere, I think it was on Talking Hoops, Rick Burton came on and had an interview. He said they were going back to the top 6 format.

Thoughts?

Cheers!!!

Seb007

Reply #26934 | Report this post

Stephon  
Years ago

Top 6 would have been better than top 8 but the important factor in my opinion was to drop the knock out final system and get all series back to best of 3.

At the very least the system should have been changed so that the teams finishing 3rd and 4th don't have to play a knock out final.

1 v 8, 2v 7, 3 v 6, and 4 v 5 (best of 3) is so simple. I don't know why they didn't make the change.

Reply #26935 | Report this post

TommyJR  
Years ago

How about a top 7 with the top team getting a 1st round bye and 2v7, 3v6 and 4v5 in 3 best of 3 series. The 3 winners and team No1 go through to the semis (Team1 v lowest rank) both best of 3.

Then a Best of 5 finals.

Thoughts???

Reply #26972 | Report this post

EC  
Years ago

We've had many ideas in the last few weeks as to what format would be better. As I understand it, the reason for starting this thread is to voice disappointment that the current format has once again been supported at the NBL Participants meeting. The participants from each club are obviously not in touch with the fans or indeed their own club members who don't agree with it.
While there is so much opposition to this current format, we should be asking the question of why it is being supported. We need to be given justification for it. These participants need to stand up and say why the current format is a good one.

Reply #27025 | Report this post

Kriss  
Years ago

I hadn't heard a coach yet support the finals system...how the hell was this decision made!

Reply #27077 | Report this post

Jesse  
Years ago

I honestly think that the finals system is;
quarter finals
game1: 5th vs 8th
game2: 6th vs 7th.
game3: 4th vs winner 5th vs 8th
game4: 3rd vs winner 6th vs 7th.

Semi finals ( one game knockout)
game5: winner game 1 vs winner game 2
game6: Winner game 3 vs winner game 4

Preliminary finals( Best of 3)
game7: 1st vs winner game 5
game8: 2nd vs winner game 6

Grand final ( best of 7 games)
winner game 7 vs winner game 8

Reply #204344 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Why not a top ten finals series and do away with the minor round altogether. That way fox can telecast the whole lot! Okay Im kidding but, like KG and cornsey said today on radio, we don't need a national comp and certainly not in the form it is now.
How the hell can a comp have a top 8 finals series in a 10 team comp and project profesionalism or pretend its about anything else than revenue.
People are dropping off in droves and by the time they get it right no one will be left to care.

Reply #204349 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 6:05 pm, Fri 19 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754