paul
Years ago

Sean Marks waived

Sean Marks has been waived by the Wizards. It is too early to know what his next moves are, but given how ordinary Gary Wilkinson was against Perth you would imagine the Breakers will be following with a keen interest.

http://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/basketball/4264537/Marks-waived-by-Wizards/

Topic #24108 | Report this topic

mystro  
Years ago

Breakers will be chasing his signature big time.
Wilkinson will def be the one to go based on Braswells current form. Marks has previously said that if he can't play NBA that he would love to finish his career at home back on Aucklands North Shore where he grew up, playing for the Breakers :)

Hopefully on his way back he can pick Penney up on the way to the airport and they can both suit up against the Tigers

Reply #293371 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Keeping a lid on it I see Mystro!!

Marks, Vukona, Penney, Bruton, Henare
Pledger, Anthony, Boucher, Abercrombie, Webster, Braswell

Have we ever seen a more talented line-up in the NBL? Pretty much five guys who have averaged double figures in WCs or Olympics, plus one of Georgetown's greatest guards.

Another important factor with Marks returning is it would surely increase the likelihood of him playing in the FIBA Oceania series next year. A pretty handy replacement for the retired Cameron, and someone to fast track the development of Pledger on a daily basis. Of course, it hasn’t happened yet!!

Reply #293374 | Report this post

Beantown  
Years ago

Do you think Marks will be willing to play for what the Breakers can probably afford though? I assume it would be no more than what Wilkinson is currently earning, which wouldn't be much compared to what Marks is used to.

The other thing is, I would have thought the Breakers would struggle to be under the cap, when they are paying Penney, Bruton and Brasswell already. Must be some serious money tied up in those three!

Reply #293376 | Report this post

Statman  
Years ago

Not knowing anything about Sean Marks....how good is he?

and I guess more importantly will put up big fantasy numbers?

Reply #293385 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

• Beantown, yes is the answer. He has made his money and wants to be at home if not in the NBA, he has a kid arriving imminently and hasn't that many years of basketball left. He may hang around in the States seeing what is on offer though - but the kid factor might sway things NZ’s way.

Not sure about their total spending, but Webster, Pledger and Abercrombie are on a combined flock all, Boucher and Henare are on modest wages too apparently. I imagine that leaves about $750K under the cap for the last five spots.

Statman, Marks is a very capable player, not someone who rocks your socks off but someone who is very dependable with a reasonable skill set. The one year he actually got minutes in the NBA (at New Orleans) he showed he was a solid backup who could be relied upon. My guess on his NBL numbers would be something like 13ppg and 8rpg?

Reply #293396 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I agree Paul about 13 & 8. He won't be able to dominate in the NBL put will be a good big man. I'm just not sure he's worth anywhere near what he thinks he's worth. Some of the figures mentioned over the past couple of years are ridiculous.

The Breakers need to worry more about re-signing Penney than Marks.

Reply #293398 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

Penny is signed, Clause in contract for NBA Guaranteed contract, that is why he was released and have read that the Breakers franchise wants him to come back in his own time on his own terms after exploring every avenue.
Re: Marks, he may choose to not play this season and enjoy the birth of his kid.
Wouldn't blame him. Would be great coup for Breakers to have Marks suit up with an already well stacked team. I agree that he won't come out and Blaze the whole league, he will however put up solid numbers every game and improve everyone around him. He will compliment the style the breakers want to play as he is mobile and athletic when fully fit.
I just really want A championship :(

Reply #293414 | Report this post

xztatik  
Years ago

Definitely waiver material, Statman.

I'd be tipping 15 and 9 at a pretty good clip.

Reply #293432 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 7:36 pm, Tue 23 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754